For all you TV/video geeks out there

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just bought a new tv today. I feel like a got a hell of a deal after doing some research but wanted to hear what others had to say. I know many of you have nice tv set ups and would probably be able to help me with the total setup. I got a samsung 26" widescreen hdtv Samsung TX R2678WH - CRT TV - 26" Reviews. Direct View TVs (CRT) Reviews by CNET.
I bought it for $380, which seems like a steal on it. I could not find anY CRTs with this quality and the same amount of functions for this price. THe only reason the price dropping in half from $700+ was due to the fact that samsung seems to have the exact same tv out now except in 30". Anyone have an opinion on if this was a good buy (for the price)? I was planning on buying an upconverting dvd player with HDMI output and digital optical out. The speakers I currently own are logitech z-5500s. These are dolby digital/dts, decoder built in 500watts, 5.1 surround sound. Originally bought for my computer but the quality is very good, especially the subwoofer which I was very pleased with. Curious if this sounds like a good setup or anything else that you would recommend to add, keeping price in mind, since I am trying to get the most bang for the buck on this, not buying real high end stuff. I also bought an indoor HDTV antenna for it so I can take advantage of some free high def tv.

Looking for any opinions on what you would do or recommend. I love tvs in general and high quality picture. Movies just seem incredibly better with the highdefs and good sound systems.

tattoopierced1

onkyo makes a good system for the right price. lemme find out my buddies model of what he has and i'll get back at you, I was extremely impressed with the quality of what he got for the price he paid..

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now how did I figure Tatt would be one of the first ones to respond? :)

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I just bought a new tv today. I feel like a got a hell of a deal after doing some research but wanted to hear what others had to say. I know many of you have nice tv set ups and would probably be able to help me with the total setup. I got a samsung 26" widescreen hdtv Samsung TX R2678WH - CRT TV - 26" Reviews. Direct View TVs (CRT) Reviews by CNET.
I bought it for $380, which seems like a steal on it. I could not find anY CRTs with this quality and the same amount of functions for this price. THe only reason the price dropping in half from $700+ was due to the fact that samsung seems to have the exact same tv out now except in 30". Anyone have an opinion on if this was a good buy (for the price)? I was planning on buying an upconverting dvd player with HDMI output and digital optical out. The speakers I currently own are logitech z-5500s. These are dolby digital/dts, decoder built in 500watts, 5.1 surround sound. Originally bought for my computer but the quality is very good, especially the subwoofer which I was very pleased with. Curious if this sounds like a good setup or anything else that you would recommend to add, keeping price in mind, since I am trying to get the most bang for the buck on this, not buying real high end stuff. I also bought an indoor HDTV antenna for it so I can take advantage of some free high def tv.

Looking for any opinions on what you would do or recommend. I love tvs in general and high quality picture. Movies just seem incredibly better with the highdefs and good sound systems.
Good Buy!!! Prices are always best in August, because of the slower pace of the euro/asian production market and dealers anticipating the fall rush on new models. Sometimes there are deals right after the Superbowl, which is the begining of the winter lull.
Football seems to control the TV economy

Grounded

Awards
You got a GREAT deal. I'm a VP, technical in the broadcast industry. Seeing sets like this sold at below $400 makes me smile after we have spent many millions building our HDTV transmitting infrastructure.

tattoopierced1

You got a GREAT deal. I'm a VP, technical in the broadcast industry. Seeing sets like this sold at below $400 makes me smile after we have spent many millions building our HDTV transmitting infrastructure.
I work for a triple play company (telephony, cable, high speed internet). Do you work at a similar type of place? I know there are only a few of us left..

Grounded

Awards
I work for a triple play company (telephony, cable, high speed internet). Do you work at a similar type of place? I know there are only a few of us left..
Yes, we're a diversified media company, a daily news paper, shoppers, specialized printing, common carrier in 5 states and TV, Radio broadcasting nationally. It seems the street likes "pure plays" these days not diversification.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Im glad to know I got a good deal. The tv came two days ago and it looks wonderful. I got a zenith hd antenna to go with it for $20 and the picture looks great. The tv itself looks incredibly crisp and you can definatly tell a difference between hd and regular shows. the color is much much more vibrant. Watching nature shows is definatly fun to do with this tv. Now i just need to work on a dvd player with an HDMI output on it, than ill be set :twisted:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I worked at Best Buy all through college in the home theatre section and the Samsung TVs were almost always the best bang for the buck (but the pictures looked a little blue to me for some reason). Do you have cable in addition to the antenna? Digital cable would be worth the upgrade if you're currently only receiving an analog signal.

As far as the speaker setup goes it is really a matter of preference. Speaker sound is a lot like eating food. What sounds/tastes good to me might not sound/taste good to you. Try setting up the stuff you have now and if you like use it. If not, go check out some of the big box stores & listen to the different setups. Let us know what else you're checking out.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have regular cable and will not be purchasing digital cable. As far as the antenna goes, it is an HD antenna, so I get 4 channels in High def. Main reason I bought a highdef tv was to get an upconverting dvd player for it, or for when hd dvd players have picked a standard and are cheaper. I figure ill have this tv for years to come, so I went the the high def to be ready for when everything is all high def.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have regular cable and will not be purchasing digital cable. As far as the antenna goes, it is an HD antenna, so I get 4 channels in High def. Main reason I bought a highdef tv was to get an upconverting dvd player for it, or for when hd dvd players have picked a standard and are cheaper. I figure ill have this tv for years to come, so I went the the high def to be ready for when everything is all high def.
I just got really jealous...Monday Football is in HD...

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that is another reason I bought a HDTV was to watch sports. National televised games I believe are all in HDTV. It is great watching it, I watched some football yesterday on hd. The picture is incredibly crisp, along with the colors.

Grounded

Awards
Snakebyte05 you are an aware buyer. The general public doesn't realize that with an HD set that has an ATSC tuner in it, they can get all the local stations in digital and that those stations at a minimum pass through network programming in native HD.

The cable and satellite industries have inititives to reduce the HD bandwidth of local station signals preserving more bandwidth for additional services. The result is reduced HD quality when compared to their pay HD channels. In some cases the free HD signals picked out of the air are superior to what cable and satellite retransmits.

So how good a deal is your new set? I spent $4,200 for my set and ATSC tuner four and a half years ago and got a good deal then. At the price you paid HDTV has arrived for the masses.

You like sports on HDTV? My TV purchases have been around sports. My wife and I bought our first big screen projector for the LA Olympics and then bought a bunch of tickets to events. :lol: Then I bought the HDTV set-up for the Salt Lake Winter Olympics and wound up renting a condo there for a week. NBC delayed the HD broadcast by one day. It was fun going to the closing event, flying home and watching it again in HD. :eek:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I cant wait to get a slick TV. Im still watching a 27" Zenith from 1988 that a friend gave me for free when i was in college. :D Im going to get a sweet 21" widescreen LCD monitor for my new PC next month to start:)

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
howd u get this deal?

looks great

is ctv somwthing like hdtv cuz im not seeing where it says hdtv on it?

Grounded

Awards
is ctv somwthing like hdtv cuz im not seeing where it says hdtv on it?
Do you mean CRT? =cathode ray tube. It means that the set uses a "picture tube" for display. A good CRT can provide the best HD video display, better than plazma, LCD, etc. The down sides are smaller picture (up to around 40" max), heavy weight, deep cabinet and heat generation. All the highest end professional HDTV monitors are CRT.