Need help with a chem project.... pretty simple i guess

Deciever

Awards
i have a list of cations that are being "sold " for 1$/gram. they are.....
Barium Nitrate
Lead Acetate
Magnesium Nitrate
Iron(III) Nitrate
Nickel(II) Nitrate
Calcium Nitrate
Silver Nitrate
Zinc (II) Nitrate
Lead (II) Nitrate
Strontium(sp?) Chloride
Barium Acetate

and a group of Anioins selling for .50$ / gram. They are...

K3 (PO4 )
K2 (HPO4 )
K(H2 PO4 )
NaCl
Na3 (PO4 )
Na2 (HPO4 )
Na(H2 PO4 )
Na(CO3 )
K2 (CO3 )
K2 (SO4 )
KCl
Cu(SO4 )
Na2 (SO4 )

Now what we have to do is pick any substances from the list, and try to make 1 gram of an insoluble salt. For every tenth of a gram (no more then1 gram though) we make of the insoluable salt, we got 1$( fake money) our goal is to get 10$. The money we spent on the materials is subtracted, and our goal is to get the most profit. So the question is , of what 2 substances do we need to combine (there are many combinations) to get a cheap insoluble salt, that is cost effective.

So we have to decide what salt we wish to make, choose the reactants, a write a balanced equation for the double replacement reaction which will be perfomed...

if any one can help me at all, i'd really appreciate it.. thanks a lot3

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Do you have to purchase in whole gram increments?  If not, the calculations will be off slightly.

The most cost effective combination would be Lead(II) Acetate [1 gram, 3.07E-3 mol] + KCl [1 gram, 1.34E-2 mol] --> PbCl2 [1.71 gram, 6.14E-3 mol]

So, $10 - [$1 + $.50] = $8.50

NaCl may be substituted for the KCl but this will make little difference since the limiting reagent is Lead(II) Acetate.

If less than full gram quantities may be purchased I would recommend .58 grams of each yielding .99 grams of product.  This would be ideal...

So, $10 - [.58($1.00) + .58($.50)] = $9.13

Pb(O2C2H3)2 + 2 KCl --> PbCl2 + spectator ions

Hope this helps...if need any other help let me know ;)

Chemo

Kay

Awards
all this chemical mumbo jumbo gives me a headacke, just use imaginaly numbers like "thirtytwenteen"

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
did i even say anything that made sense?

h19

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
did i even say anything that made sense?

h19
The Barium Sulfate is always the first thing that comes to mind when looking at the list presented. It made sense to me too...but, the problem is actually one of yield. From this standpoint it is merely choosing the cheapest amount of reagents for the maximum profit.

Chemo