dehydration help

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Well its a scorcher out today and my gym is basically a warehouse and has no AC. You can bet your a$$ its hot in there.

My workout started out great today. Set a PR for DB chest press. Then when I got to the end I started feeling a little light headed and I was planning on doing overhead db ext for tri's, and my body quit. My first set was of 130 (which I had gotten for 7 reps last time I tried) and I barely got 1 rep. I slammed down 2 gatorades because I started to feel like I was going to pass out.

So heres what I was thinking for a pre workout plan
A) take some potassium pills
b) some sodium pills

I already drink a lot of water before the gym and to go the bubbler (water fountain those who dont speak rhode islandeese) between every set.

My question is, how much sodium/potassium should I take? If any at all. Thanks for all help.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
PLEASE do nto take potassium or sodium pills. Especially if oyu have no idea what your electrolytes really are. In a hospital setting it is ok to replete someone's electrolyes as long as you know exactly what you are repleting an din what quantity.

My suggestion: Purchase pedialyte at your local drugstore. Mix one part pedialyte with one part water. It should rehydrate you seamlessly and in a balanced manner. Most of the gatorades/powerades are too concentrated. THis works!

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
PLEASE do nto take potassium or sodium pills. Especially if oyu have no idea what your electrolytes really are. In a hospital setting it is ok to replete someone's electrolyes as long as you know exactly what you are repleting an din what quantity.

My suggestion: Purchase pedialyte at your local drugstore. Mix one part pedialyte with one part water. It should rehydrate you seamlessly and in a balanced manner. Most of the gatorades/powerades are too concentrated. THis works!
Thanks for your help man.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My recommendation to you as a firefighter who spends hours and hours and hours in my hot ass 130 degree bunkers.... Grab 1 gallon of water start drinking it as you wake up. Grab a big thing of gatorade powder. Throw in 2 scoops and start drinking by workout time you should have half the jug gone. Drink the jug throughout the workout by the time you're done with your workout you should have 1/4 jug left or less. Drink that then refill and hydrate for the next day. You'll find that Potassium and Sodium and Gatorade will definitely make your hydration levels worse as they only add to electrolytes and water is what you need to keep from becoming light headed.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Or do what I do, pay for a month pass at a gym with a swimming pool...95 laps yesterday.........

Actually the pedi is a good idea...:)

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I like Smart Water that stuff is nice and not too expensive

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
speaking of which, what do you guys think about Propel?
Propel is one of the more balanced rehydration supplements though the vitamins added don't do much by themselves in terms of rehydration but rather are more of a savvy marketing tool ;-)

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Or do what I do, pay for a month pass at a gym with a swimming pool...95 laps yesterday.........

Actually the pedi is a good idea...:)
Pedialyte is also regarded as a fantastic hangover cure - just make sure to dilute 1:1 and to get a flavor you like! Not like I have ever used it before LOL!

Lot's of drinking does go on in the 401 area code for sure!

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Pedialyte is also regarded as a fantastic hangover cure - just make sure to dilute 1:1 and to get a flavor you like! Not like I have ever used it before LOL!

Lot's of drinking does go on in the 401 area code for sure!
are you ANOTHER rhode islander? were taking this board by storm.

Heres my plan. I will drink a half gallon of water leading up to my workout, then I will mix in aminos (as I always do) with one of those sport propel bottles (700ml)instead of water like usual. Sound good?

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like it should work, though some have reported some cramping with aa's added to sports drinks when engaged in vigorous physical activity.

Yup! RI!

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Pedeilite 1/3
Gatorade1/3
Water 1/3

Followed by a bunch of banna's
keep repeating

Until you piss clear

Its my golden cure to getting hydrated quickly and safely

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pedeilite 1/3
Gatorade1/3
Water 1/3

Followed by a bunch of banna's
keep repeating

Until you piss clear

Its my golden cure to getting hydrated quickly and safely
Yes pissing clear is what most athletic organizations and the military use. But if you take B-Vitamins and a Multi you'll know that that won't be an effective technique.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Yes pissing clear is what most athletic organizations and the military use. But if you take B-Vitamins and a Multi you'll know that that won't be an effective technique.

True,

but my stack does the trick and dosnt cost to much.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always go by pissing light yellow versus clear. I have flushed myself once prior to a ruck march and it sucked.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OTC Drug 1
Anabolics 4
89Flex Anabolics 6
NeighbourMike Recipes 0
Supplements 4