"you would be surprised"

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I must have heard this expression 10 times today and it is only 1pm. It got me thinking...

What is the nember one thing that people would be surprised by when they start bodybuilding? IMO, its how big a part nutrition is in any fitness goal.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
One thing that I've noticed with females, is that they think if the lift heavier weights, and low reps that they will become "bulky."

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised idunk is as ripped as is avatar suggests. Dude is HUUUUUUOOOOOOOGEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Honestly, how much willpower, determination, and constant attention to everything you do. This isn't just lift weights and pin. Heck no. It's SO complicated and it's extremely variable for each and every person.

One thing that I've noticed with females, is that they think if the lift heavier weights, and low reps that they will become "bulky."

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
when people first start going to the gym and within 3 weeks cant understand why they havent seen amazing results yet.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I must have heard this expression 10 times today and it is only 1pm. It got me thinking...

What is the nember one thing that people would be surprised by when they start bodybuilding? IMO, its how big a part nutrition is in any fitness goal.

Just the shear amount and quality food they have to eat. I see people at my gym with GREAT trainers and arent really growing. And when you listen in the trainer is telling them they have to eat more. Im a freaking hardgainer and Im surpassing them without a trainer.

B4n3 0n3

Just the shear amount and quality food they have to eat. I see people at my gym with GREAT trainers and arent really growing. And when you listen in the trainer is telling them they have to eat more. Im a freaking hardgainer and Im surpassing them without a trainer.
You don't even need a trainer. A trainer does absolutley nothing, spend that trainer cash on roids!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great thread man!

I would have to say that the biggest surprise to me was how easily you could overwork yourself killing your growth potential.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
biggest surprise to me is how much protein you have to eat, and the prep workout in planning a good exercise routine and eating often and small portions. I still need to work on these too, also how important a multi vitamin and supps are for staying healthy and active with short recovery time.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't think there was a surprise for me as such, more a slow realisation that for the best results you need to be dedicated. And thats not so much dedication to go and lift, thats the easy bit!
Its the being dedicated to turning down the boozy nights out, dedicated to prepare and consume good foods on a consistant basis. It becomes a lifestyle, and you have to decide how much you want to dedicate yourself to that lifestyle.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
The three biggest surprises

3. Overtraining produces negative results and feelings

2. Protien is the key to growth.

1. The number of times I have been felt up by women who otherwise appear to be liberated, but still throw themselves at a hard muscular male body.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
What is the nember one thing that people would be surprised by when they start bodybuilding?
How long it takes.

I remember the first tub of protein i bought, and i was deliberating whether ot not to purchase because, and i quote my thoughts of the time, "I don't want to get too big." Part of me thought i'd look like Dorian after a few shakes.

Granted, i was only 15 at the time, but still...It's hard to realise how nieve i was regarding physiology at the time.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Biggest surpise to me was how little most people, including myself at first, actually knew about the subject as opposed to how much BS brotelligence and general lore they had picked up over the years, and how resistant so many people were to changes in their already set notions of what does and does not 'work.'

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
:wave: haha that was/is me! i rep 385 on the leg press (new record! :woohoo: and my legs look lady like still. i have to admit though, even though i know i cant develope jay culter legs, i worry needlessly.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's SO complicated and it's extremely variable for each and every person.
I agree. Many people seem to be so confused when they hear that just because one program, diet or training, works for one person, it doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
All very good points, but I'd have to say that for me, overtraining was the biggest surprise.

I used to DB flat press like 3 days a week. I did leap up in gains but then, of course, stalled for like 2 years because I was clueless about training frequency and diet.

Another common misconception is that you can easily get huge. The public has no idea how much dedication and nuance it takes to get there. The amount of dietary discipline it takes still amazes me..and thwarts me.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
AMEN!

Another common misconception is that you can easily get huge. The public has no idea how much dedication and nuance it takes to get there. The amount of dietary discipline it takes still amazes me..and thwarts me.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I cant stand it when someone says "i dont want to get too big"

trust me, if you dont want it, you wont get it.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Well, that is...ludicrously impressive, actually.

I think i barely scrape 450lbs.
i swear im not lying! i have amazing strong legs....and really retardedly weak arms...... swear i have difficulties benching the bar (and because of that embarrasing fact, i have procrastinated on working on my weakling arms)..... i swear i will one day when they start flapping around in the wind like pancakes.

B4n3 0n3

How many guys can bench 300. Tiger Woods can bench 300 for cryin out loud!

Mess

Awards
  • Established
well, my biggest surprise was when i realized that i wont get the mass i wanted and i wont get as huge as i wanted to be without the usage of performance enhancers.
Thats when i started a 6 months search and wished if i paid more attention at the chem. class back when i was in school .

cheers

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
well, my biggest surprise was when i realized that i wont get the mass i wanted and i wont get as huge as i wanted to be without the usage of performance enhancers.
Thats when i started a 6 months search and wished if i paid more attention at the chem. class back when i was in school .

cheers
"...without chemicals, life itself would be impossible"
-Monsanto

"..you mean you you made this in your kitchen?"- -Anabolicrhino(1983)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
i swear im not lying! i have amazing strong legs....and really retardedly weak arms...... swear i have difficulties benching the bar (and because of that embarrasing fact, i have procrastinated on working on my weakling arms)..... i swear i will one day when they start flapping around in the wind like pancakes.
That's not as uncommon as you might think. Women are much closer to men on average in lower body strength than they are in upper body strength. So a woman who trains right will lbe much more likely to equal or exceed a guys numbers on lower body exercises than on upper body ones.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wait a second, is that Tiger Woods thing true or did you just make that up??

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I have a mental bloack when I start to approach 300 on the flat bench...probably because I have no spotter and did actually drop 255 on my chest once. DBs are nicer anyways. lol

B4n3 0n3

Wait a second, is that Tiger Woods thing true or did you just make that up??
It's supposedly a well known fact from what I have learned. I first heard about it when I was watching the movie "Exit Wounds" there is a scene where these guys were sitting around at a bar and talking and they said that tiger benches "damn near 300". So I started asking around and yes it is supposedly true.

B4n3 0n3

I have a mental bloack when I start to approach 300 on the flat bench...probably because I have no spotter and did actually drop 255 on my chest once. DBs are nicer anyways. lol
I have done the same thing so now I will never bench without a spotter.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
It's supposedly a well known fact from what I have learned. I first heard about it when I was watching the movie "Exit Wounds" there is a scene where these guys were sitting around at a bar and talking and they said that tiger benches "damn near 300". So I started asking around and yes it is supposedly true.
"When Woods finishes his cardio workout, he moves to strength training. On high-intensity days, he lifts 80 percent of his maximum weight doing exercises such as the bench press, the shoulder press and squats. (Some people who have seen him work out estimate he can bench-press about 300 pounds.) One of the reasons Woods added 25 pounds to his frame is that he focused his weight training on lifting heavy weights in sets of six to eight repetitions. "

Taken from GolfDigest.com - Tiger's Workout Revealed
I'd love to see him do it.

I think people don't realise that looking good and making gains is a 24/7 job, when they find out they have to actually put effort not just in the gym but into their lifestyle they often give up.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's pretty impressive...I'd like to see that.