What keeps you motivated?

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So I was thinking today what keeps me motivated to workout everyday, to keep the diet clean, to try to hit my goals. I couldn't really come up with a personal reason other then I do it.

But, I'm sure there are any members here at AM that have great motivations keep at it. I don't ever remember a thread like this, so I wanted to know.

What motivates you?

:bruce2:

delta314

Awards
  • Established
when I see guys half my age with spaghetti arms and beer guts smoking like an old Ford pickup..........

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Progress my friends, progress. It's all about making gains month over month, whether it be in terms of fat loss or muscle gain. As long as you're moving forward and not in reverse, that's motivation enough for me to stick to a clean diet and workout like an animal :)

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
I'm largely self-motivated, but whenever I need that extra boot in the ass I pick up one of my Battle for the Olympia DVD's from my library and admire the hard work and perseverence of others whom I hop to compete with someday.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
knowing that i can lift more run faster/further than the average guy, knowing that my blood pressure is in check, my cholesterol is good, and can keep up with my daughter and the fact that i have a better body than alot of men helps.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Good thread I was thinking about this the other day.

I would have to say the first thing is myself I have gone Thur.... 5 workout partners in the last 3 years and I'm the only 1 still walking thru those doors.

My family, I see my uncles, brother in law, etc. I see there big huge fat belly's and pure lack of energy, makes me want to keep going and going.

My 2 sons, I want to set a good example of a healthy lifestyle. I want them to look up to me and I want the energy to be able to keep up with them!!!

Gains of course I love seeing gains that I make or when other people comment. My wife will NEVER comment on gains because she thinks it go's to my head LOL come on (It does) lol. And for her of course I don't think she would want to be "in bed" with a big old fat boy!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I was thinking today what keeps me motivated to workout everyday, to keep the diet clean, to try to hit my goals. I couldn't really come up with a personal reason other then I do it.

But, I'm sure there are any members here at AM that have great motivations keep at it. I don't ever remember a thread like this, so I wanted to know.

What motivates you?

:bruce2:
Health aspects keep me motivated, plus the fact that I keep a picture of me in high school weighing a dangerous 252lbs. That get's my a$$ going all the time. Plus, it's nice when people outside of the gym can look at you and actually want to ask you for advice based on how you hold yourself and how you look in normal cloths.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
My motivation has evolved and changed throughout the years. When I was a youngster with my Weider sand filled plastic weights, the amazing progress I made gave me motivation and set in motion a life time passion. After that competition has been a great motivator, PLing meets, this little transformation contest, little things like that give great motivation.
In General though here are a few of my every day motivations.
1. Seeing my sister at 350lbs+
2. Watching my childhood friends go through dialisis, and various other medical problems mostly preventable
3. Seeing large heavy things that I've yet been able to lift!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Hearing the kids at work talking about me, and picking stupid nicknames for me, makes me appreciate how hard I've worked and keeps me motivated to get bigger and stronger.
5. There is ALWAYS someone bigger and stronger then you, so until that is not true and I'm the biggest and strongest I won't be done!!!!! So look out Ed Coan and Ronnie Colmen I'm comin' for both ya!!!
6. But mostly becuase lifting is a great sport, with great folks, and it's rewarding and benefitial, you're achievements spur greater goals! It's a never ending circle that gets better all the time!

OMG I turn 41 this week I better get to the gym!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1. The progress I make and the compliments I get from people at the gym.
2. Living a healthy life since my mother is a heavy smoker and has developed gout, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
3. Whooping the living crap out of former teammates and others in pickup football games during the weekends.
4. Remaining attractive for the ladies, I'm sure this might be a high priority for us, especially JBlaze :D

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Mine, well....
1) with all my health issues if i was unhealthy i would most likely be dead.
2) my nephew, knowing i can play soccer, swim , keep up with him.
3) Being 260 in high school/college and looking at that picture and thinking never again.
4) having classmates who i see at the 5,10 yr things look worse than I did, and say "wow".....
5) Knowing I can push my own ass to be different, better even with health issues....

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
My dads friends son is in grade school and he gets picked on a lot I guess. The kids dad said he has to go to school to talk to the principal. My dad said "$hit, my kids twice the size of me, I would need to bring him to my work to protect me if I was getting picked on." Now that is motivation.

That and I want people to be saying "holy $hit" when I walk by at my 10 year graduation.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The thing I've noticed the most in all of these is looking at other family members and friends and seeing them fat and waddle around. That's the same motivation for me. Fat people surrounding me complaining about their diabetes and health problems when they eat junk and don't really dedicate themselves. Watching girl friends eat 1 meal a day and say they're dieting. That's what drives me and my quest for the knowledge and the workout.

MTNMEDIC

I was suposed to have died from HIV eleven years ago,..went from 148 to 114 in just three weeks ! Having some muscle mass saved me. But yes, I'd say my reasons are the same as yours too. We are in better shape than those who are younger and got it all.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
(1)watching my hero,my role model,my father die at age 60 from the effects of smoking for 30 years and from allowing himself to get to 300+ pounds after a 20 years of being a lean mean airborne infantryman after he retired from the Army he let himself go. I will never allow this to happen. (2) My wife is a sexy 5'2" 105 lb latin lady and I hate the idea that she would ever look at someone else and think "I wish my man looked like that" (3) I have 2 daughters and I want any fututre boyfriends to know that I can and will kill you with my bare hands if you defile one of my angels.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
(3) I have 2 daughters and I want any fututre boyfriends to know that I can and will kill you with my bare hands if you defile one of my angels.
I can relate to that one, any kid that comes to my door for my daughter should be fearin for his life!!

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I can go with you on the daughter thing. I have one 15 year old.

That and I hate to lose. I don’t necessarily mean in competition, I mean in life in general. Looking 10 years younger then I am, going to the gym and lifting like you belong there. Little things like that keep me working out.

At my age it’s about keeping ahead of the game.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i wanna be able to work out with the kids fom my school who rep wayy more than me

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Staying healthy, active and feeling great as long as I possibly can. I fully envision myself as a 70 year old hitting the gym 5 days a week and outlifting kids in their 20's. With HRT technology the way its going, that will most likely be a reality. Im 30 now, and look better and feel better than I ever did in my 20's.

Staying attractive for my fiance/soon to be wife for the duration of our lives.

The comments and admiration for co-workers and stuff is cool, and was definitely a prime motivator in the beginning I generally just take it in stride now. Working out/dieting has become deeply ingrained in who I am now, although I may not be as focused as Id like to be every now and then I could never give it up, ever. Its part of who I am.

BV

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I was a overweight all the way up to grade 9 so that is a huge motivating factor for me. But mainly it's because i'm addicted to see those small but constant changes in the mirror and in the gym when i put on more muscle, drop fat and lift heavier weights, it's like a drug to me i love it so much. I'm never happier than when i'm beating the bejesus outta my body in the gym.

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
knowing that if i stop now, ive just wasted the last 10 months of everyday hard training and dieting once again, and im not doing it this time.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Staying healthy, active and feeling great as long as I possibly can. I fully envision myself as a 70 year old hitting the gym 5 days a week and outlifting kids in their 20's. With HRT technology the way its going, that will most likely be a reality.
Damn bro, me too. Seeing Ageless motivates the hell out of me. That man is un-freakingbelievable and should be in the Anabolic Minds Hall of Fame if there were such a thing

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My motivation STAYING SOBER. Whenever I get edgy I hit the gym.