Gym etiquette rules
- 07-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Gym etiquette rules
There have been a couple of things that really pee me off at the gym recently, and so I thought I would write down my own "gym rules". It made me feel much better to get it off my chest - feel free to add as many as you wish.
1 If I arrive with a baseball cap over my eyes and my earphones in I do not want to talk to anybody.
2 Tapping me on the shoulder, making me remove my earplugs, just to say hi really annoys me again I do not want to talk to anybody.
3 If I am working out on a machine and can barely breathe please stop trying to talk to me.
4 A gym may be where you usually pick up girls, but they are usually in the cardio section go over there and pick them up leave me alone.
5 If I pick up some weights, dont feel that you have to pick ones up heavier than mine, then struggle to do the exercise it will make you look - stupid.
6 The gym is not a fashion parade, if you must wear only thin strips of spandex, please have the type of body that looks good in it.
7 I do not care or even look at how much weight you can lift, so trying to show off is only going to give you an injury.
8 Small grunting noises while working out are fine sounding like you are having wild passionate humpies is not cool.
9 Walking at 1mph on the treadmill while chatting to your girlfriend on the phone is not really a workout you will get more exercise pacing up and down on the phone at home so go home and stop hogging the equipment.
10 I can see that you are staring at me, please go stare at somebody else or at least do it inconspicuously. Standing right next to me watching me work out is freaky!
11 The chat up line so, do you work out?, never works in a gym think about it.
12 Working out for 10 minutes, then going over to the smoothie bar for an oreo, double chocolate chunk shake, is not going to help you lose weight. Note smoothie does not equal healthy.
- 07-19-2006, 09:46 AM
And this is why I never make direct eye contact to females in the gym. I figure I like my workout time uninterupted and i'm sure they do as well.
Sounds like you had a bad day KG. Hope it goes better
- 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
to add to that, no other male should squat naked in front of another male. this is just uncalled for.ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
07-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Now you tell me...Next time you better let me know prior to oiling up.
07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Don't wear underwear that may easily split during squats
07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone found sitting on a bench or standing in a rack on their cell phone not using said bench or rack will be beaten with a 45, no questions asked...
07-19-2006, 10:24 AM
sadly that truly happened at the gym one day...Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
07-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Ha Ha I love it karategirl, let me add a few.
1. If you can't do the exercise with AT LEAST good form DROP the damm weight!!!!
2. Spend more time lifting weights, less time flexing in the mirror thinking your big!
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
This actually happened to me during a powerlifting meet.Originally Posted by Ziricote
07-19-2006, 10:37 AM
If your on a machine, don't use the one next to it as a towel, journal, or waterbottle rack. That always pisses me off!
07-19-2006, 10:42 AM
If I see another C0%ksukr, doing curls in a Power Rack, I'm gonna split his head open. Okay, so that's more a statement, but you get the point
07-19-2006, 11:02 AM
If you don't want me to look at your body - don't wear those short..tight outfits that scream "HOT BODY" on the floor.
loose baggy sweats and a large t-shirt will hide things just fine and are just as good for working out as the above.
'Cause as far as I'm concerned if you show it and it's any kind of good looking - I'm going to OGLE IT - so get over it...get over yourself.
my own gripe - If you're gonna rest for more than 15 sec. get off of the !@#ng bench/machine etc!! Let me work on thru.
07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I'd also like to add something...and I'm not some crazy narcissist. I'm 5'10" 265 lbs (contest weight is 240-245 to give an idea of how much roly poly I'm carrying around) and I had my own gf watch a few girls do this to confirm that i wasnt going crazy...and it makes me uncomfortable if and when i notice it...
- If you (female) are working out with your boyfriend, f%$k buddy, or even a gay friend, please stop staring at ME. It leads to insecure man syndrome (dirty looks, trying to lift more than me, following me around and flexing, orgasmic sounds bellowing out of them while benching 225)
- If I'm wearing a tank top to the gym it's not to show off my "guns", it's becaue its motherfu$%in hot and i sweat like a bastard
I must say, I've worked out at many "types" of gyms, from health clubs to gyms like powerhouse, golds, tiny local gyms, everything; and all I can say is that there certainly are some social faux pas' that occur across the board.
Oh and for the record, I have never tried to pick up a girl at the gym. The only thing I pick up are heavy ass weights.
(and if you are a guy trying to pick up a girl at the gym and see me smiling...yes, I'm laughing at you)
07-19-2006, 11:47 AM
A-******-men!Originally Posted by Viperspit
**Edit**: The only exception to this rule would be if said person was curling >135#. Then I may let it slide.
07-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I've lost at least three pairs in the last few monthsOriginally Posted by Ziricote
At least I know I am not doing those sissy half squats.
07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
You mean you dont load up the bar with 405, do 2 reps moving the weight 6 inches, and then get a hi-five from your training partner!!??
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I think the gym could actually be a good place to meet girls. At least that way you know you share something in common. That being said, the "do you workout" line is garbage, and you have to read a girls body language to figure out if she is interested.
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
My most annoying not removing your weights or putting them back in the proper place when your done. I hate removing someone elses weight from a Bench or Rack
07-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Amen, and yea if you Fukr's can't read the damn DB Rack plates that clearly specify which DB's go where, then go home, call up your local school and enroll in a GED program. I fukin hate it when your luggin 100's + back to the rack and find a pair of 30's sitting in it's place.
Originally Posted by mixedup
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
but there soooo goooodOriginally Posted by karategirl
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes they are, but if you are 150lbs overweight, and didn't even manage to break a sweat in your workout, I am not sure you deserve oneOriginally Posted by NickyNoNames
(I had a particular person in mind when I wrote that one).
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I also find it hilarious when out of shape guys walk around like they have a 60 inch chest. You all know what I'm referring to. That spread out arm look like they're trying to hug a barrel
07-19-2006, 12:53 PM
1. If you looked at it, considered using it or your sweat is on it, then that bench is yours.
2. Ask the biggest guy in the gym, he knows everything.
3. That girl with the spandex butt from heaven loves it when you watch her constantly.
4. If someone tells you, you look great.. then it's true.
5. Runners love to be called skinny.
6. Meat heads never frequent the cardio area and the civilized human never clangs the weight.
7. Just jump in. Nobody expects you to ask everytime you wish to use the equipment they are currently using.
8. Air guitar and drums is quite acceptable while you are relaxing on the only bench available.
9. Water fountains are great location to gather or hibernate.
10. If it is heavy you must drop it.
11. 15 1 inch reps are better than 1 full rep.
12. Careful you may get too big!
PS. karategirl - nice back.
07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Oh the irony of this all. I have a website coming very soon that covers much of what you have all expressed!
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
No, that is a waste of time. I load up the bar with 5 plates, wait around for a while then take them off. At that point I take out my scissors and cut a whole in my underwear. Man, what a workoutOriginally Posted by Rocky82
07-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rocky82
This is soo true, but my wife is the one who gets mad at me like I ask the women to look at me. I am bulking right now, and I am fat, and even contest time I was 9% fat by bb'ing standards, and I still had women and male groupies interrupting my damn workout. I even wear shirts that say shut up and train, and I am not here to talk, and then they come up to me and say cool shirt get a clue!!!
07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
lmfao...my friend thought I'd broken my leg or something when it happened to meOriginally Posted by UHCougar05
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
I really wish my work schedule were more flexible and I didnt have to wake up at 6 AM everyday, because I'd love to train much later in the day. The gym is empty, the posers are long gone, and it's just me and the weights (and a few other folks that actually train, not "lift").Originally Posted by Apowerz6
And as to the person above who was saying their pet peve were people who dont re-rack weights...just today I was waitin on a leg press to do calf raises and this talk lanky guy had 11 plates on each side, no knee wraps or anything. So he gets all psyched up and does 3 reps. And calling them reps is being way too generous. I swear the sled moved about a foot each way. Then to top it off, the ass walks away and doesnt take the plates off.
I think we could all go on for days with countless stories. Unfortunately the money that these morons use to pay for their gym memberships are just as good as ours. Like I said, I wish i could train later
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I get interrupted too KG - but not with dudes trying to get in my pants (at least I hope not - contrary to popular belief, I'm not the female contained in my signature).
But - it's with the meatheads that have learned that I know about these new fangled pro-hormones.
Only - most don't get "it" the first time I tell them. So, I have to beat it in their heads.
It gets annoying.
So, yeah, if you wanna ask me if Arimidex is OK for PCT (or 6-OXO) or about Superdrol - please wait until I'm done lifting (because I'll get quite animated talking to your dumbazz).
07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by karategirl
Bhahahahah I love it, and have seen everyone of the above in my new gym,although my fav is when someone trys to talk to me, with my mp3 player, baseball cap on....get the hint, leave me alone....
Good one KG
RIP Ryan, :(
07-19-2006, 10:01 PM
If you see me wearing sunglasses, a cowboy hat, and i have hands over my ears while I'm jogging on the treadmill, doing squats, or benchpressing (with my elbows) then don't talk to me. Yet, it has a failure rate of 90%.
07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
i hate it when ****ers i know go up to me in the middle of a ****ing exercise
for example this fat **** i know went right up to me in the middle of a set of wrist curls with his brother and tapped me on the forearm and said "why are you working forearms" then they giggled and walked away. i got so ****ing pissed WTF
and everybody wonders why i wake up at 530 AM to workout
07-19-2006, 10:18 PM
I thought I tore my suit, which would've really pissed me off.Originally Posted by Ziricote
**Note**: Do not wear underwear that is a size too small while squatting...nothing good can come of it, I assure you.
07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Sorry....ose:Originally Posted by karategirl
As long as its inconspicuous I can watch right?
07-20-2006, 12:16 AM
I wear big ol boxers when I squat. And seriously If someone corrects me on a work out I swear to **** I'll kill them. I will just start screaming right in the gym. It will embarass the hell out of them. Ya know I find it ironic that the fattest biggest fat loser is the one always having people talk to him. "Dude to get that big you gotta be smart".. No you just gotta have 20 years of lift time and a voracious appetite. This guys 35 years old and weighs 300 pounds at 35% body fat. Not to mention I'm 1000000000000000x smarter than everyone in my gym. I am SURE of it. Especially this gym. Basso will know what I'm talking about I am sure.
Just cause you're big doesn't mean you're tasty big. If you aren't being drooled over by the ladies and you're at 230-250 or up there. Then you're just wasting your time.
Unless you're a powerlifter I understand your methods.
07-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Ya'll should just do what I do
I'm such a motor mouth that even the motormouths avoid me! Of course, I dont' go out of my way to talk to people, unless I "actually" am friends with them. So, in general, this is a good thing because after a few lengthy discussions they just try to wave and run away. hahah
07-20-2006, 02:27 AM
- 5'10" 215 lbs.
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
-Don't eyeball **** me when I first walk into the gym, and then ask me 10,000 questions after you find out I lift more than you.
07-20-2006, 02:31 AM
The only things that bug me are:
- Hogging equipment (doing 5000000 sets)
- Arseholes (some people I'd like to beat in the face with 100lb plates).
- Yelling while lifting.
I don't know why some of you ladies hate guys drooling at women, I mean...I have no problem whatsoever with it jk no, really, i don't have good lookin chicks at my gym except for my woman. although there is this one lady, middle aged, nothing special EXCEPT she has like 36 ggg boobs (all natural) and she loves the eliptical machine. Yeah...slightly destracting. I'd prefer she never come to the gym b/c there is some yet to be identified force that drags my eyeballs over there each and every time
07-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Wow, and I thought I was the only one who gripped about gym etiquette. My current gym has rules that don't need to be there and the ones that need to be there aren't. And the rules that are good aren't enforced.
1. Put the freakin weight away! I understand not being able to figure out the 45's go on the bottom and the 2.5s go on top but at least make an effort! I chase people down and politely ask them to come unload their bars (I'm NOT going to do it for them)
2. When the bar is on the floor and there is chalk flying all around me and I looked pissed off and ready to approach the bar, please don't walk right in front of me, BETWEEN ME and the BAR!!!!!! I almost hurt this idiot the other day.
3. Somebody said earlier that you should be using at least 135lbs to curl in the squat rack? I disagree 100%, if you can curl 135+ you should be setting the example and pick the friggin thing up off the floor (if you can't pick it up you need to work on something other than arms dude) or use a preacher bench etc. I'll set up curls right behind some idiot curling 55lbs on the straight bar in the power rack, and give him crap the whole time. It pisses me off bad, and I'm going to make a poster for the power rack (probably won't last long)
4. My headphones are on, I don't look at anybody or anything except bars, benches, racks and weights. You will be IGNORED! once I'm past compounds I will chat in short choppy between sets fashion.
5. Idiots training idiots, you know the guy who can bench 225lbs so he's in expert in all things heavy! He has this poor kid in the gym training him on how to lift incorrectly so that kid can grow up bench 225 and train some poor sap.
6. Partner wanna bees, Guys that are all into Chest and arm day and you think, hey this kid is going to do alright, "OK fella, see ya tomorrow we'll be hittin' some legs" Poof, never see them again.
I can go on forever, but I think that covers the top couple for me today! lol, don't forget to drop the weight extra hard so everyone can see those 45's!
07-20-2006, 03:16 AM
So what are you trying to say? That I'm really at 35% BF? LoLOriginally Posted by gotripped
Similar Forum Threads
- By WYD02 in forum AnabolicsReplies: 6Last Post: 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM
- By DreamWeaver in forum Training ForumReplies: 77Last Post: 12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum Exercise ScienceReplies: 8Last Post: 08-05-2007, 09:41 AM
- By DarCSA in forum General ChatReplies: 10Last Post: 11-25-2002, 07:18 PM
- By hamper19 in forum AnabolicsReplies: 2Last Post: 10-28-2002, 07:17 PM