Gym etiquette rules

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There have been a couple of things that really pee me off at the gym recently, and so I thought I would write down my own "gym rules". It made me feel much better to get it off my chest - feel free to add as many as you wish.

1 – If I arrive with a baseball cap over my eyes and my earphones in – I do not want to talk to anybody.
2 – Tapping me on the shoulder, making me remove my earplugs, just to say “hi” really annoys me – again I do not want to talk to anybody.
3 – If I am working out on a machine and can barely breathe – please stop trying to talk to me.
4 – A gym may be where you usually pick up girls, but they are usually in the cardio section – go over there and pick them up – leave me alone.
5 – If I pick up some weights, don’t feel that you have to pick ones up heavier than mine, then struggle to do the exercise – it will make you look - stupid.
6 – The gym is not a fashion parade, if you must wear only thin strips of spandex, please have the type of body that looks good in it.
7 – I do not care or even look at how much weight you can lift, so trying to show off is only going to give you an injury.
8 – Small grunting noises while working out are fine – sounding like you are having wild passionate humpies is not cool.
9 – Walking at 1mph on the treadmill while chatting to your girlfriend on the phone is not really a workout – you will get more exercise pacing up and down on the phone at home –so go home and stop hogging the equipment.
10 – I can see that you are staring at me, please go stare at somebody else – or at least do it inconspicuously. Standing right next to me watching me work out is freaky!
11 – The chat up line “so, do you work out?”, never works in a gym – think about it.
12 – Working out for 10 minutes, then going over to the smoothie bar for an oreo, double chocolate chunk shake, is not going to help you lose weight. Note – smoothie does not equal healthy.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
And this is why I never make direct eye contact to females in the gym. I figure I like my workout time uninterupted and i'm sure they do as well.

Sounds like you had a bad day KG. Hope it goes better :)

tattoopierced1

to add to that, no other male should squat naked in front of another male. this is just uncalled for.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now you tell me...Next time you better let me know prior to oiling up.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Don't wear underwear that may easily split during squats :ntome:

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Anyone found sitting on a bench or standing in a rack on their cell phone not using said bench or rack will be beaten with a 45, no questions asked... :nutkick:

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Ha Ha I love it karategirl, let me add a few.

1. If you can't do the exercise with AT LEAST good form DROP the damm weight!!!!

2. Spend more time lifting weights, less time flexing in the mirror thinking your big!

stinkfinger

Awards
If your on a machine, don't use the one next to it as a towel, journal, or waterbottle rack. That always pisses me off!

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
If I see another C0%ksukr, doing curls in a Power Rack, I'm gonna split his head open. Okay, so that's more a statement, but you get the point :D

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
If you don't want me to look at your body - don't wear those short..tight outfits that scream "HOT BODY" on the floor.

loose baggy sweats and a large t-shirt will hide things just fine and are just as good for working out as the above.

'Cause as far as I'm concerned if you show it and it's any kind of good looking - I'm going to OGLE IT - so get over it...get over yourself.

my own gripe - If you're gonna rest for more than 15 sec. get off of the !@#ng bench/machine etc!! Let me work on thru.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
I'd also like to add something...and I'm not some crazy narcissist. I'm 5'10" 265 lbs (contest weight is 240-245 to give an idea of how much roly poly I'm carrying around) and I had my own gf watch a few girls do this to confirm that i wasnt going crazy...and it makes me uncomfortable if and when i notice it...

- If you (female) are working out with your boyfriend, f%$k buddy, or even a gay friend, please stop staring at ME. It leads to insecure man syndrome (dirty looks, trying to lift more than me, following me around and flexing, orgasmic sounds bellowing out of them while benching 225)

- If I'm wearing a tank top to the gym it's not to show off my "guns", it's becaue its motherfu$%in hot and i sweat like a bastard

I must say, I've worked out at many "types" of gyms, from health clubs to gyms like powerhouse, golds, tiny local gyms, everything; and all I can say is that there certainly are some social faux pas' that occur across the board.

Oh and for the record, I have never tried to pick up a girl at the gym. The only thing I pick up are heavy ass weights.

(and if you are a guy trying to pick up a girl at the gym and see me smiling...yes, I'm laughing at you)

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
If I see another C0%ksukr, doing curls in a Power Rack, I'm gonna split his head open. Okay, so that's more a statement, but you get the point :D
A-******-men! :hammer:

**Edit**: The only exception to this rule would be if said person was curling >135#. Then I may let it slide. :D

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Don't wear underwear that may easily split during squats :ntome:
I've lost at least three pairs in the last few months :D

At least I know I am not doing those sissy half squats.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
I've lost at least three pairs in the last few months :D

At least I know I am not doing those sissy half squats.

You mean you dont load up the bar with 405, do 2 reps moving the weight 6 inches, and then get a hi-five from your training partner!!??

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think the gym could actually be a good place to meet girls. At least that way you know you share something in common. That being said, the "do you workout" line is garbage, and you have to read a girls body language to figure out if she is interested.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My most annoying not removing your weights or putting them back in the proper place when your done. I hate removing someone elses weight from a Bench or Rack

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Amen, and yea if you Fukr's can't read the damn DB Rack plates that clearly specify which DB's go where, then go home, call up your local school and enroll in a GED program. I fukin hate it when your luggin 100's + back to the rack and find a pair of 30's sitting in it's place. :rant:

My most annoying not removing your weights or putting them back in the proper place when your done. I hate removing someone elses weight from a Bench or Rack

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
12 – Working out for 10 minutes, then going over to the smoothie bar for an oreo, double chocolate chunk shake, is not going to help you lose weight. Note – smoothie does not equal healthy.
but there soooo gooood :)

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
but there soooo gooood :)
Yes they are, but if you are 150lbs overweight, and didn't even manage to break a sweat in your workout, I am not sure you deserve one :)
(I had a particular person in mind when I wrote that one).

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
I also find it hilarious when out of shape guys walk around like they have a 60 inch chest. You all know what I'm referring to. That spread out arm look like they're trying to hug a barrel

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Gym Myths:

1. If you looked at it, considered using it or your sweat is on it, then that bench is yours.

2. Ask the biggest guy in the gym, he knows everything.

3. That girl with the spandex butt from heaven loves it when you watch her constantly.

4. If someone tells you, you look great.. then it's true.

5. Runners love to be called skinny.

6. Meat heads never frequent the cardio area and the civilized human never clangs the weight.

7. Just jump in. Nobody expects you to ask everytime you wish to use the equipment they are currently using.

8. Air guitar and drums is quite acceptable while you are relaxing on the only bench available.

9. Water fountains are great location to gather or hibernate.

10. If it is heavy you must drop it.

11. 15 1 inch reps are better than 1 full rep.

12. Careful you may get too big!

etc...

PS. karategirl - nice back. :thumbsup:

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Oh the irony of this all. I have a website coming very soon that covers much of what you have all expressed!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You mean you dont load up the bar with 405, do 2 reps moving the weight 6 inches, and then get a hi-five from your training partner!!??
No, that is a waste of time. I load up the bar with 5 plates, wait around for a while then take them off. At that point I take out my scissors and cut a whole in my underwear. Man, what a workout :D

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'd also like to add something...and I'm not some crazy narcissist. I'm 5'10" 265 lbs (contest weight is 240-245 to give an idea of how much roly poly I'm carrying around) and I had my own gf watch a few girls do this to confirm that i wasnt going crazy...and it makes me uncomfortable if and when i notice it...

- If you (female) are working out with your boyfriend, f%$k buddy, or even a gay friend, please stop staring at ME. It leads to insecure man syndrome (dirty looks, trying to lift more than me, following me around and flexing, orgasmic sounds bellowing out of them while benching 225)

- If I'm wearing a tank top to the gym it's not to show off my "guns", it's becaue its motherfu$%in hot and i sweat like a bastard

I must say, I've worked out at many "types" of gyms, from health clubs to gyms like powerhouse, golds, tiny local gyms, everything; and all I can say is that there certainly are some social faux pas' that occur across the board.

Oh and for the record, I have never tried to pick up a girl at the gym. The only thing I pick up are heavy ass weights.

(and if you are a guy trying to pick up a girl at the gym and see me smiling...yes, I'm laughing at you)

This is soo true, but my wife is the one who gets mad at me like I ask the women to look at me. I am bulking right now, and I am fat, and even contest time I was 9% fat by bb'ing standards, and I still had women and male groupies interrupting my damn workout. I even wear shirts that say shut up and train, and I am not here to talk, and then they come up to me and say cool shirt :wtf: get a clue!!!

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
This is soo true, but my wife is the one who gets mad at me like I ask the women to look at me. I am bulking right now, and I am fat, and even contest time I was 9% fat by bb'ing standards, and I still had women and male groupies interrupting my damn workout. I even wear shirts that say shut up and train, and I am not here to talk, and then they come up to me and say cool shirt :wtf: get a clue!!!
I really wish my work schedule were more flexible and I didnt have to wake up at 6 AM everyday, because I'd love to train much later in the day. The gym is empty, the posers are long gone, and it's just me and the weights (and a few other folks that actually train, not "lift").

And as to the person above who was saying their pet peve were people who dont re-rack weights...just today I was waitin on a leg press to do calf raises and this talk lanky guy had 11 plates on each side, no knee wraps or anything. So he gets all psyched up and does 3 reps. And calling them reps is being way too generous. I swear the sled moved about a foot each way. Then to top it off, the ass walks away and doesnt take the plates off.

I think we could all go on for days with countless stories. Unfortunately the money that these morons use to pay for their gym memberships are just as good as ours. Like I said, I wish i could train later :yawn:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I get interrupted too KG - but not with dudes trying to get in my pants (at least I hope not - contrary to popular belief, I'm not the female contained in my signature).
But - it's with the meatheads that have learned that I know about these new fangled pro-hormones.
Only - most don't get "it" the first time I tell them. So, I have to beat it in their heads.
It gets annoying.

So, yeah, if you wanna ask me if Arimidex is OK for PCT (or 6-OXO) or about Superdrol - please wait until I'm done lifting (because I'll get quite animated talking to your dumbazz).

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
There have been a couple of things that really pee me off at the gym recently, and so I thought I would write down my own "gym rules". It made me feel much better to get it off my chest - feel free to add as many as you wish.

1 – If I arrive with a baseball cap over my eyes and my earphones in – I do not want to talk to anybody.
2 – Tapping me on the shoulder, making me remove my earplugs, just to say “hi” really annoys me – again I do not want to talk to anybody.
3 – If I am working out on a machine and can barely breathe – please stop trying to talk to me.
4 – A gym may be where you usually pick up girls, but they are usually in the cardio section – go over there and pick them up – leave me alone.
5 – If I pick up some weights, don’t feel that you have to pick ones up heavier than mine, then struggle to do the exercise – it will make you look - stupid.
6 – The gym is not a fashion parade, if you must wear only thin strips of spandex, please have the type of body that looks good in it.
7 – I do not care or even look at how much weight you can lift, so trying to show off is only going to give you an injury.
8 – Small grunting noises while working out are fine – sounding like you are having wild passionate humpies is not cool.
9 – Walking at 1mph on the treadmill while chatting to your girlfriend on the phone is not really a workout – you will get more exercise pacing up and down on the phone at home –so go home and stop hogging the equipment.
10 – I can see that you are staring at me, please go stare at somebody else – or at least do it inconspicuously. Standing right next to me watching me work out is freaky!
11 – The chat up line “so, do you work out?”, never works in a gym – think about it.

Bhahahahah I love it, and have seen everyone of the above in my new gym,although my fav is when someone trys to talk to me, with my mp3 player, baseball cap on....get the hint, leave me alone....:)

Good one KG

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
If you see me wearing sunglasses, a cowboy hat, and i have hands over my ears while I'm jogging on the treadmill, doing squats, or benchpressing (with my elbows) then don't talk to me. Yet, it has a failure rate of 90%.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i hate it when ****ers i know go up to me in the middle of a ****ing exercise

for example this fat **** i know went right up to me in the middle of a set of wrist curls with his brother and tapped me on the forearm and said "why are you working forearms" then they giggled and walked away. i got so ****ing pissed WTF

and everybody wonders why i wake up at 530 AM to workout

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
lmfao...my friend thought I'd broken my leg or something when it happened to me :lol:
I thought I tore my suit, which would've really pissed me off.

**Note**: Do not wear underwear that is a size too small while squatting...nothing good can come of it, I assure you. :aargh:

SHADOW2492

Awards
Sorry....:pose: :ntome: :eek:

As long as its inconspicuous I can watch right?

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wear big ol boxers when I squat. And seriously If someone corrects me on a work out I swear to **** I'll kill them. I will just start screaming right in the gym. It will embarass the hell out of them. Ya know I find it ironic that the fattest biggest fat loser is the one always having people talk to him. "Dude to get that big you gotta be smart".. No you just gotta have 20 years of lift time and a voracious appetite. This guys 35 years old and weighs 300 pounds at 35% body fat. Not to mention I'm 1000000000000000x smarter than everyone in my gym. I am SURE of it. Especially this gym. Basso will know what I'm talking about I am sure.

Just cause you're big doesn't mean you're tasty big. If you aren't being drooled over by the ladies and you're at 230-250 or up there. Then you're just wasting your time.
Unless you're a powerlifter I understand your methods.

The end

GR OUT

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Ya'll should just do what I do :D

I'm such a motor mouth that even the motormouths avoid me! Of course, I dont' go out of my way to talk to people, unless I "actually" am friends with them. So, in general, this is a good thing because after a few lengthy discussions they just try to wave and run away. hahah

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
-Don't eyeball **** me when I first walk into the gym, and then ask me 10,000 questions after you find out I lift more than you.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The only things that bug me are:

- Hogging equipment (doing 5000000 sets)
- Arseholes (some people I'd like to beat in the face with 100lb plates).
- Yelling while lifting.

I don't know why some of you ladies hate guys drooling at women, I mean...I have no problem whatsoever with it :lol: jk no, really, i don't have good lookin chicks at my gym except for my woman. although there is this one lady, middle aged, nothing special EXCEPT she has like 36 ggg boobs (all natural) and she loves the eliptical machine. Yeah...slightly destracting. I'd prefer she never come to the gym b/c there is some yet to be identified force that drags my eyeballs over there each and every time :sad:

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Wow, and I thought I was the only one who gripped about gym etiquette. My current gym has rules that don't need to be there and the ones that need to be there aren't. And the rules that are good aren't enforced.
1. Put the freakin weight away! I understand not being able to figure out the 45's go on the bottom and the 2.5s go on top but at least make an effort! I chase people down and politely ask them to come unload their bars (I'm NOT going to do it for them)
2. When the bar is on the floor and there is chalk flying all around me and I looked pissed off and ready to approach the bar, please don't walk right in front of me, BETWEEN ME and the BAR!!!!!! I almost hurt this idiot the other day.
3. Somebody said earlier that you should be using at least 135lbs to curl in the squat rack? I disagree 100%, if you can curl 135+ you should be setting the example and pick the friggin thing up off the floor (if you can't pick it up you need to work on something other than arms dude) or use a preacher bench etc. I'll set up curls right behind some idiot curling 55lbs on the straight bar in the power rack, and give him crap the whole time. It pisses me off bad, and I'm going to make a poster for the power rack (probably won't last long)
4. My headphones are on, I don't look at anybody or anything except bars, benches, racks and weights. You will be IGNORED! once I'm past compounds I will chat in short choppy between sets fashion.
5. Idiots training idiots, you know the guy who can bench 225lbs so he's in expert in all things heavy! He has this poor kid in the gym training him on how to lift incorrectly so that kid can grow up bench 225 and train some poor sap.
6. Partner wanna bees, Guys that are all into Chest and arm day and you think, hey this kid is going to do alright, "OK fella, see ya tomorrow we'll be hittin' some legs" Poof, never see them again.

I can go on forever, but I think that covers the top couple for me today! lol, don't forget to drop the weight extra hard so everyone can see those 45's!

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
This guys 35 years old and weighs 300 pounds at 35% body fat. Not to mention I'm 1000000000000000x smarter than everyone in my gym. I am SURE of it. Especially this gym. Basso will know what I'm talking about I am sure.
So what are you trying to say? That I'm really at 35% BF? LoL

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established

Alot of the women at my gym do this. I always feel bad when Ive been waiting around for a while for a bench or machine and I want to ask them how many sets they have left or if I can work in. Alot of them do super sets with 2-3 machines and Im stuck waiting while I could of done 2 sets in the time they were gone. I get kind of uncomfortable pacing around the equipment waiting while they think Im probably just checking them out.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established

Alot of the women at my gym do this. I always feel bad when Ive been waiting around for a while for a bench or machine and I want to ask them how many sets they have left or if I can work in. Alot of them do super sets with 2-3 machines and Im stuck waiting while I could of done 2 sets in the time they were gone. I get kind of uncomfortable pacing around the equipment waiting while they think Im probably just checking them out.
Regardless of who it is, if their using more then one machine it's fair game to work in when they leave.

Try having my job as a trainer. I can't workout for more then 5 minutes at a time without someone talking to me or asking a question. Some people have no clue and think your on the clock twenty four seven just for them.

Mess

Awards
  • Established
was it you KG:blink: ?? J/K

Dont feel bad about guys staring at you, in other words they are telling you how great looking lady you are :chick:

i totally agree with the rest of the list and like to add

Rule # 31 - FOR Gods sake, use DEODRANT, anti prespriant air freshner ........... anything that will whipe your stinky :fart: smell away.

BY the way KG, your right arm is bigger than your left arm :p

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So what are you trying to say? That I'm really at 35% BF? LoL

No I'm talking about the retards in my gym. And how you pretty much know who they are. They are like 21-23 and are generally Sons of Certain Individuals with power. And think squatting 405 but only going 4 inches down is where it's at.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
im really good at avoid chick-guy senarios......

#1 i like to pick non-teeny bopperish gyms
#2 i follow kwyck around like lost homeless puppy .......

i love that one thing by KG..... go talk to the cardio girls......lol awesome

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OK just had to Vent I'm looking for the 55lbs dumbells today and they are down in the 85lbs place and the 50's are down in the 30lb place and both curl bars had plates left on them DAMN put away your own weights.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah no ****. That pisses me off. You'll see me pacing back and forth in front of the dumbbell rack looking for my damned 110s so I can do tricep extensions and they freaking moved em to the 30 lbs place. DIE!

maximus79

maximus79

Awards
I get to the gym last night, and there's this idiot sitting on a bench doing dumbell wrist curls -- wearing a belt. When he gets done with his set, he doesnt just drop the dumbell, he literally throws it. He leaves the dumbell and the floor and walks to the drinking fountain, so I assumed he would be back for more sets or to at least pick up the weights (there were about six other dumbells laying on the floor next to the bench). Next thing i know the a$$hole is walking out the door. Total disregard for others--pisses me off!!

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's pretty gay. I'da f*cked him up right there if I was on one of my SD/PP cycles with some TRN throw in the mix. Low blood sugar and Pre-work out stims don't mix.