What's most time you've taken off from the gym...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
By choice or circumstance, what was the longest time you have been MIA?

It was about 5.5weeks for me due to the leg injury. About 4 of those weeks were spent in bed over 22 hours a day. Totally inactive. Last year, after one of my best friends committed suicide and that brown recluse spider bit me, it was about 20days off from the gym.

After Leg Injury Went from:
6-1 236lbs, ~13.0%BF (memorial day)
6-1 225lbs, ~17.0%BF (2 weeks ago)

yikes..

Now for the strength fall off:
Early April, Incline Bench: 225 x 21 (@238lbs)
2 weeks ago, Incline Bench: 185 x 6 (@222lbs)

Shocked to say the least. I curled 30lb dumbells for about 9reps - I seriously couldn't get to 10reps. The funny thing is I haven't lost too much size. Maybe a half inch on arms and an obvious 10lbs of 'weight'. I'm the weakest 225lbs kid I know right now!

The good news, a week ago I got 185 x 12+ on the incline... It comes back very quickly.

The whole experience makes sense of one of ALRI's general theories... If you are in a catabolic state (inactive state, in my case) for some time, the body become primed to return to where it once was and beyond thereafter. The gains I'm making are like newbie gains times a million and I'm doing a lot of cardio on the bike. Feels good. :hammer:

a special thanks to kwycke who got my motivation back up, this game is 98% psychological

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Several months due to deployment and then about a year due to being fat and lazy.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just cameback from a hernia surgery. It was approx 6 weeks total.

I don't loose weight when I don't train. Being 41 and an endo has its advantages and disadvantages. Not training, easily (de)comps my body weight. Same weight but about an inch, inch-and-a-half added to my belly, ass and hips and a half inch off my arms.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I missed the first 23-24 years of my life. Since I started lifting a few years ago I missed about 8 weeks leading up to a marathon. I've missed a couple of weeks to months at various times due to rotator cuff injury. Glad to say I've been injury free for well over a year. Time of really trashes my abilities, but I too notice that it comes back pretty quickly.

The important thing is that you're at it again. I don't want to know what quick did to motivate you :nutkick: , but hey, whatever floats your "boat". :D

S

stinkfinger

Awards
I had to take off 1 month about a year ago due to a ruptured appendix. I was on an i.v. for 12 days. No food or water for 8 of those. I went from 174-157 in those 12 days. Then while in the hospital I got Ciff diff from taking such strong antibiotics. Ciff diff made me **** my brains out for about 2 weeks then I took about two months for my bowels to work properly. Once I was healthy though the weight and strength came back quickly.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Shoulder injury, lower back injury, divorce, laziness and alcoholism were contributing factors to my 8 year lapse. Almost 2 years back in the game.

B

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
knock on wood, i have been injury free. i usually take a week off 3 times a year to let things heal up and rest.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Longest I took was 4 weeks because I was being a lazy slob (and pussy whupped over some girl) when I was 20-21. I once sprained an ACL but was still able to work on upper body and luckily that's been my most serious injury.

H

HeIsLegend

Awards
mine is due to circumstance and Ive been off hitting the gym now for 8 weeks with my broke ankle I've been laid up in bed with my foot proped up. I feel like crap because I know I need to eat but not being mobile I think my metabolism has gone down some because I feel like im gaining weight.

Jaxxx

Jaxxx

Board Supporter
Awards
Took 2 years off after graduating from high school. Gained about 40lbs during the time off.

Got back in the game a year ago and took that weight back off in about 4 months...

A

az2u

Awards
Started lifting weights in 1982. I stopped twice for three months due to shoulder injuries. Approximately every three months I take a two week break. I don't think I'll ever stop lifting weights.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I slowed down to 5 or less workout a month on average since I started playing rugby. In the 5 months i was off i barely worked out and lost 10 pounds or so and weights dropped by 40% on average. The worst part is the weightlifter endurance ive lost i mean my cardio is wayy better and my pumps are insane but i fail and i mean fail at a pont then strength significantly tapers. Cant go hard for three- four exercises maybe 1-2. my initial power is still 80% but on average im down 40%. I know it will come back and the few months without supplements will add effectiveness and shock value again im sure.