im switching gyms

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i workout at the ymca it has two bench presses one squat rack one power reack and i dont like it and ****ty trainers.

i am thinking of switching to lifestyles, does anyone workout at a lifestyles? and who should i ask for showing me proper form on deads? trainers lately have been dumb, how do i know if their trainers and not just floor spotters?

thanks

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I don't train at lifestyles (sounds like a condom), but i know the ymca in my town is a thumbs down. From knowing nothing about lifestyles gym I can honestly recommend it over the YMCA. :)

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I am using a YMCA at the moment, and ya, they don't have a power rack. I have been using a smith machine that is angled for squats. It isn't as good as free weights, but it gets the job done. I am using my uncle's pass for free, so I can't complain. I go back to school in a month, where I will have access to a power rack/squat rack again.

I think you have asked for form critiques on deads a few times already. I will go over the basics. 1.) hold bar with shoulder width grip. 2.) drop your a$$ to atleast parallel. 3.) as you begin pulling, you want to keep the bar very close to your shins, you wll most likely end up with scabs on your shins the first few times. You want it to feel like you are pulling the weight slightly backwards towards your body, this will cause you to use your legs to lift the weight and it will prevent you from using too much of your lower back causing injury. 4.) as the bar passes your knees you want to pull your shoulder blades together and thrust your hips forward. You can even add in a shrug if you like. 5.) to finish the movement you want to be standing with your back slightly hyperextended. Now the hard part is getting it back to the floor again.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
pvskyhigh- thanks for the info. i feel i need critique in real life though because i might be doing them wrong, but ill probably just go by my judgment.

and i dont do deads, i started doing sumo deads instead, they dont hurt my back, does anyone have good points for those?

and anyone workout at lifestyles?

thanks

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you do it correctly dead lifts will not hurt your back.
Get a personal trainer at least for one session to show you how to do proper form on each excercise. You can interview them and see what their background is - education/training etc, there are some good ones out there who can help youu.
KG

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes deadlifts do hurt my back, sumo deadlifts do not, its my body type.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What type of body do you have???
Different from the rest of us?
I have two herniated discs in my spine, yet with proper form deadlifts do not hurt.
KG

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
I quit the Y because they started closing 30 mins earlier and it's not convenient for me. Although I liked the gym, there's no point me paying $50+ a month with early closing times.

I started at the Goodlife at Kennedy & Ellesmere (Toronto/Scarborough) - the weightroom is very oldschool with 4 power-racks and dumbells that range up to 160lbs, along with some pretty huge guys that come in around the time I work out 9:30-11pm. It's not crowded at all at that time (5 guys in weights area, 6-8 people in the cardio area) so it's working out great.

Oh and I save $15 monthly for the membership compared to the Y.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
i workout at the ymca it has two bench presses one squat rack one power reack and i dont like it and ****ty trainers.

i am thinking of switching to lifestyles, does anyone workout at a lifestyles? and who should i ask for showing me proper form on deads? trainers lately have been dumb, how do i know if their trainers and not just floor spotters?

thanks
Sounds like we go to the same gym, unless all the Y's are the same. Actually, the previous one I went to years ago stunk worse...

I go to the one I do now because it's close.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What type of body do you have???
Different from the rest of us?
I have two herniated discs in my spine, yet with proper form deadlifts do not hurt.
KG
i just simply cant do regular deads without them hurting my lower back no matter what form i have, so i do sumo, and there is nothing wrong with sumo from what i have heard, so i will be sumo instead......

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ahh il probably just stay at the y, if i wake up at 530 there is like no one in the gym except on the treadmills so it will do for now

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
i just simply cant do regular deads without them hurting my lower back no matter what form i have, so i do sumo, and there is nothing wrong with sumo from what i have heard, so i will be sumo instead......

I do sumo as well, being very tall I find it easier to do sumo, never could do a reg dead lift....LOL

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Gotta say man...Y's around here rule...got 7 in my city. It really depends on the support of the community.