do you pre-rinse your dishes in the sink before sticking 'em in the dishwasher?

heftylefty58

Awards
For those of you who don't pre-rinse, how often do you run your dishwasher?

[yes, I'm bored and can't sleep.... My wife claims that our new >$1000 GE dishwasher won't clean the dishes thoroughly enough since we only run the dishwasher once every 4 or 5 days.]

:bruce1:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
For those of you who don't pre-rinse, how often do you run your dishwasher?

[yes, I'm bored and can't sleep.... My wife claims that our new >$1000 GE dishwasher won't clean the dishes thoroughly enough since we only run the dishwasher once every 4 or 5 days.]

:bruce1:
No idea if she's right and I hand clean all my dishes as I don't have a dish washer. The pre rinse was a habit of my family though, and I always saw it as ridiculous. If you're going to wash by hand before you put them in the washer, you may as well just wash by hand and be done with it. Otherwise put them in and then take whatever dishes the washer failed to clean and clean those only by hand, saving yourself some arm work. Honestly I think many people do the prewash out of habit and it's not really necessary.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
This is THE most random thread I've ever read on here.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is one of those random outloud thoughts that should of been kept in the deep recesses of the mind. Kind of like that fantasy of wearing catwomans leather outfit and hooking your nipples up to a car battery.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Your wife is wrong, it's dependant on the power of the model you have, not the frequency.

I don't pre rinse. My dishwasher has a pre rinse setting, as well as an extended wash. Plus I add extra soap.

They always come out clean, no matter what I put it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your knowledge of the almighty machine that washes, amazes me! No wait, sorry I used the wrong word. I meant it scares the hell out of me. that is all thank you. Please use exact change and drive thru to the second window.

fatbasturd

Awards
does your dish washer have a built in garbage disposal?????
my wife thinks ours does!!

we went away for the 4th camping came home and the house smelled like a$$. mmm what could that smell be??

she says you must have forgot to take out the trash!!

nope the dish washer smelled, she said we just need to run the dishwasher and it will go away:frustrate

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but that's because my dishwasher sucks... :(

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If by pre-rinse, you mean do I let my dogs lick the plates clean before they go in the dishwasher - then yes :)

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Dogs licking the plate....Got rid of a pesky brother-in-law that way. Saw us doing that and would never come over to eat at the house again. My family was ecstatic! Sis soon moved on to a real guy ( ex Marine who would have eaten off of the plate WITH the dog and growled more while at it) LOL!!

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I pre-rinse. Why? I HATE washing dishes because I HATE feeling oily stuff on my hands. I don't have to touch anything but the side of the plate when rinsing.

On 2 occasions in my life, the dishwasher stopped working, and I was in trouble, LoL. I don't want to risk that anymore.

I know how small the exhaust hose is, and I don't want to wreck the dishwasher.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I used to prerinse but when I do I find I only get 2 or 3 uses out of our paper plates, so I no longer prerinse lol

CROWLER

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i don't use the dishwasher as it dramatically cut down on our electric bill when doing so.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I have always pre rinsed because I was told by a worker at home depot less food that floats down at the bottom the cleaner the dishes actually get. I always think using cascade complete makes a huge difference. My wife is the same way she could leave dirty dishes in the sink for 8 years, leave them CRUSTY azz hard and just throw them in the dishwasher thinking of it will be all nice and shiny clean when it comes out lol

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just can’t place a dish into the dishwasher without rinsing it first.

Lately it’s gotten so bad that I actually use soap and hot water…. Scrub the damn thing clean… then place it in the dishwasher.

heftylefty58

Awards

Lately it’s gotten so bad that I actually use soap and hot water…. Scrub the damn thing clean… then place it in the dishwasher.
I don't understand the double-washing. My wife would hit it off well with you. Hmmm..... Hey! Stay the hell away from my wife.

We're essentially putting cleaned dishes in our dishwasher. It might as well be considered one beechin' drying rack.

Why stop there? Why not get an autoclave for the post-dishwasher treatment.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't understand the double-washing. My wife would hit it off well with you. Hmmm..... Hey! Stay the hell away from my wife.

We're essentially putting cleaned dishes in our dishwasher. It might as well be considered one beechin' drying rack.
Like any sickness….. if its not happening to you its hard to understand.

Yes… I am placing *spotless* dishes into the dishwasher to be washed.

And… um…. tell your wife I said hi.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Hahaha, this is funny, and yes I prerinse them but I also have 4 sisters AND girl roommates now ;).

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My pet peeve is people who 'pre-rinse'. Just add soap and a sponge and they are 'pre-dried' and 'pre-dirty' and ready for use all over again.

Unless you have a house with dozens of mouths to feed or you use far too many utensiles, pots, pans and plates there is no reason why I should pay to have my dishes washed.

But she does it anyway...cause I ain't gonna ;)

fatbasturd

Awards
My wife is the same way she could leave dirty dishes in the sink for 8 years, leave them CRUSTY azz hard and just throw them in the dishwasher thinking of it will be all nice and shiny clean when it comes out lol
you have dishes that stay in your sink for 8 years:jaw:

don't you know how to clean geez
tell linz i will prerinse for her:duel:

BS Nutrition

Awards
yeah Im with Crowler, but I use paper towels. Its hard to eat pasta on it though.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been conditioned by my girlfriend to do the pre-scrub thing as well. I use this only on items with dried on food though, as I saw firsthand that certain items wouldn't come completely clean without a little bit of extra preparation.

I went in kicking and screaming, but quickly realized it only takes an extra minute or two to load the dishwasher when pre-scrubbing necessary dishes, and actually made a difference in the results.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

I do this as well but I have ocd so bad I spin all the labels in the pantry in the same direction. I'm a freak

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
We need to get BigVrunga in here. This is his area of expertise!