superman returns

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
how could anyone NOT like this movie? it's badass. not giving any spoilers away, i encourage everyone else to do the same. there are some pretty cool things that reveal themselves that i'm glad i didn't have prior knowledge of. beez and wifey give it two thumbs up.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I thought it sucked, I am a huge superman fan, but a couple things in the movie were pretty cool concepts, (not spoling anything) but over all the movie was very slow and boring. I wanted to fall asleep many a time. The actor did a good job though, he totally reminded my of Chistopher Reeves, and IMO, CR is Superman.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
he played an excellent superman IMO. lex luthor was much better in this by kevin spacey. the christopher reeves version made lex look like a f'ing doofus. i was far from falling asleep at any point. huge superman fan as well and i couldn't wait for it to come out. didn't leave much room for a sequel though, but neither did the others.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Ill be seeing it on Friday and cant wait, big superman/superhero movie fan

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
he played an excellent superman IMO. lex luthor was much better in this by kevin spacey. the christopher reeves version made lex look like a f'ing doofus. i was far from falling asleep at any point. huge superman fan as well and i couldn't wait for it to come out. didn't leave much room for a sequel though, but neither did the others.
I totally agree on Lex Luthor looking like a bumbling idiot when played by Marlon Brando. The new lex was just plain evil. You are right about the sequel bit too, with the older ones, each movie seemed like it had absolutely nothing to do with the movie preceded it.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I totally agree on Lex Luthor looking like a bumbling idiot when played by Marlon Brando. The new lex was just plain evil. You are right about the sequel bit too, with the older ones, each movie seemed like it had absolutely nothing to do with the movie preceded it.
I was thinging the samething, I hate when movies are like this. You ever watch a movie and it doesn't go with all the others before it?

Great movie even tho it started off so slow...I liked the action in this one more so then the others. But superman is getting old all the same crap over and over at lest throw something new in the mix. Like him with a kid or something.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There was one reason this movie completely dissapointed me, and that was how you were pummeled with the religous analogy of Superman being Jesus. The plotline, dialogue, even some of the cinematography absolutely beat me over the head with the fact Superman is supposed to be Jesus, by the end of the movie I actually felt exhausted with it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Marlon Brando was Jor el the dad and Gene Hackman was Lex

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Liked it a lot. Brian Singer pumped some life back into the Superman genre..and he did it well.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I saw it at the IMAX, well worth it. Some of the 3D stufff was cool.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Love that avi Karate girl. How's the training coming along?

How's that for a hijack? :p

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cool - lets hijack :)

Training is going great thanks for asking.
Fighting much stronger than before and added a couple of pounds of muscle.

KG

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya, your back is really showing it. Good to hear everything is going well. :)

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks - my front's not so bad either :)

KG

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Marlon Brando was Jor el the dad and Gene Hackman was Lex
I knew it didni't feel right. It was on the tip of my tongue but I was short for time. Thanks for the correction.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was pretty damn good overall, and I was going into it expecting to be disappointed. It was a bit longish, I think for most people though that'll come out on a second viewing kind of like the recent King Kong. Overall the effects were incredible, the actors were all good though I didn't quite buy the actress who played Lois. I was never a fan of Margot Kidder either though. This movie kind of reminds me of Batman Begins. I loved the latter, but it didn't quite fit in with the existing movies. I think Superman has more room to expand though. Solid three out of four stars I'd say.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
There was one reason this movie completely dissapointed me, and that was how you were pummeled with the religous analogy of Superman being Jesus. The plotline, dialogue, even some of the cinematography absolutely beat me over the head with the fact Superman is supposed to be Jesus, by the end of the movie I actually felt exhausted with it.
the symbolism isn't new, just more noticeable now.

Superman actualized the adolescent power fantasies of its creators--two Jewish Depression kids craving a muscle-bound redeemer to liberate them from the social and economic impoverishment of their lives. And, as Michael Chabon (author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, about two Siegel and Shuster-style cartoonists) notes, there's a parallel between Kavalier and Clay's superhero creations and the Golem--the legendary creature magically conceived by the rabbi of medieval Prague to defend the community from an invasion by its antisemitic enemies. Cartoonist, writer, and comic-book historian Will Eisner (creator of The Spirit) also views Superman as a mythic descendant of the Golem and thus a link in the chain of Jewish tradition. "[Jews needed] a hero who could protect us against an almost invincible force," Eisner says. "So [Siegel and Shuster] created an invincible hero."

The Superman narrative is also rich in Jewish symbolism. He is a child survivor named Kal-El (in Hebrew, "All that is God") from the planet Krypton, whose population, a race of brilliant scientists, is decimated. His parents send him to Earth in a tiny rocket ship, reminiscent of how baby Moses survived Pharaoh's decree to kill all Jewish newborn sons. In the context of the 1930s, the story also reflects the saga of the Kindertransports--the evacuation to safety of hundreds of Jewish children, without their parents, from Austria, Germany, Poland, and Czechoslovakia to Great Britain.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
He's a classic savior-type hero..the archetype really. If one wishes to draw parallels to Jesus they can, but I really didn't feel that was the over riding theme. He's invincible but is limited in his abilities to save people based on how fast he can get to them. This causes him grief for even though he has the right intentions, he is not a god and limited in what he can do for men. I rather like the theme that an advanced alien has "faith" in us and that faith is not contingent upon us believing in him. In the end, he just does what he does with pizazz.

Jaxxx

Jaxxx

Board Supporter
Awards
Saw it yesterday as well, awesome scene with the falling airbus...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
He's a classic savior-type hero..the archetype really. If one wishes to draw parallels to Jesus they can, but I really didn't feel that was the over riding theme. He's invincible but is limited in his abilities to save people based on how fast he can get to them. This causes him grief for even though he has the right intentions, he is not a god and limited in what he can do for men. I rather like the theme that an advanced alien has "faith" in us and that faith is not contingent upon us believing in him. In the end, he just does what he does with pizazz.
New outfit worked well too. I didn't like the color choice at first, but it really worked in the movie.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
yeah color choice wasn't good but they did everything could to make superman a non-american but at the same time.. the more drab color is less fruity... though CR wore it like a champ.. this guy would have just looked like a big ol banana if he wore the tradition red white and blue

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Haven't seen it but the trailer I keep seeing on TV doesn't make it look worth watching, I'll hold my breath though and maybe check it out.

Korrupted

Awards
The special effects were awesome, but it was a bit too dramatic for me. The story line was weak and barely kept my interest.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
The actors portrayed the characters quite well, however the plot sucked for me. Basically felt like Superman 1 + Superman 2 over again..like almost a total rehash.

The action sequences were cool and Brandon Routh seems like a good choice as Reeve's successor to don the red & blue.

Spoilers: (highlight below to see)

Lex was involved in a real-estate scheme..again.. this time by growing a continent that would crush two-thirds of the US - enough of the got-dang real-estate BS already! Ticked me off that they have a Genius Super-Villain, who they could've developed in endless ways (ie. the way he is in Justice League or even Smallville) just mess around with real-estate again, like in Superman 1.

I mean come on, with the technology today, it would've been awesome to see Supes in a fight with a physically challenging villain like Metallo or even Braniac - who would've been 'tag-teaming' with Lex. I mean how freaking exciting is a climax where Supe's lifts a Kryptonian Island out of the Pacific ocean and tosses it into space? More of an anti-climactic scene. I'm not a huge fan of mindless fighting/bashing, but it's about time that Supes kicks some serious ass on film using todays graphic technology.

Then there's the kid. Nothing pissed me off more than the kid. Why the F did they give Supes a kid right off the bat in a film that took almost 20 years to materialize?? Maybe a kid in the third installment would've been fine, but already? Geez - lets focus on Superman not share the screen with super-brat.

While most of the computer graphics were awesome, some of them seriously sucked - almost seemed as they ran out of budget and had some kid taking a CG course in college do a few animation scenes.

The ending was too dragged out. People actually started getting bored in the theatre and even whispered "Damn when's this gonna be over?" The ending with Supe's monologue to his kid would've been perfect as an ending to a trilogy - not in the first movie back after 2 decades.

The film dragged on for 2.5 hrs, while they could've kept it at 2 hrs tops.

Sadly, I came out of the theatre a bit disappointed. I was very much looking forward to this film. Barely 3/5 stars for me.

Nacho Libre was 20x better IMO.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to have to agree that I was a tad let down, BR was acceptable as Superman but his acting felt a bit bland at times. Kate Bosworth was a terrible lois lane, and kevin spacey stole the movie in my opinion giving the best performance of the bunch. What gets me is how this movie cost 250 million to make, I've seen many movies with better special effects and cgi yet they did not come close to this price tag. Also in terms of this department the movie blew its proverbial load at the plane crash scene and after that nothing felt that "cool looking". I do have hope for the franchise continuing though and I hope someone has the balls to make the next installment the final one. With superman facing off against doomsday and "dying", he is one of the few villans you could cast that would actually be able to do any damage to supes and would make for some of the most electrifying fight sequences in cinematic history if done correctly.

Spartan117

Awards
I agree with Bioman, the theme was good. Unfortantely the movie was boring as hell. It was a total remake. Brandon Routh didn't play Superman, he played Christopher Reeve. I am a huge Superman fan, but there was nothing new. Kate Bosworth should find a new job. Maybe she was bored. The plot was insulting to anyone with any intelligence. I know this sounds like a rant, but I was really dissappointed.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
wow, you guys are tough, lol. loved it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I just saw it and thought it was entertaining and worth watching.

thetimbomb

Awards
I personally enjoyed the movie, however it looked like superman had a ton of makeup on. weird? or just me.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I personally enjoyed the movie, however it looked like superman had a ton of makeup on. weird? or just me.
Could it be because Superman isn’t supposed to sweat? As in since hes "invulnerable" he’s basically always comfy when hes doing regular stuff? That or the actor is greasy :p

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
BTW, I was also annoyed by Lex Luther's girlfriend, she was just too much of an idiotic character.

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
eh idk i saw it, kinda liked it... still waiting for a Dragon Ball Z movie.. which im sure they will **** up as well.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That would rule I love DragonBallZ...could be super cool as long as they keep the fight scenes and drop some of the cheese ball humor.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
doesnt dragonballz have lots of movies already? Or do you mean continuing the story line from where the show left off?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
BTW, I was also annoyed by Lex Luther's girlfriend, she was just too much of an idiotic character.
Yeah...she was my major complaint in the movie.

Otherwise, I loved it!

And, I'm in on the DBZ movie...It'd kickass.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
doesnt dragonballz have lots of movies already? Or do you mean continuing the story line from where the show left off?
Cartoon movies,yeah. but, i believe they're looking to make a movie with "humans" :)

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
Cartoon movies,yeah. but, i believe they're looking to make a movie with "humans" :)
yea a live action movie it is called. i know they agreed and were casting but thats the last thing i heard and that was like a year ago so who knows. man i wish

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Apparently Brendan Fraser (The Mummy, Encino Man) was being considered for the role of Goku..

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
He'd make a great Goku during the 'funny' scenes for sure. I dont know how he'd be as Super Saiyan 3 Goku though.:)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
He'd make a great Goku during the 'funny' scenes for sure. I dont know how he'd be as Super Saiyan 3 Goku though.:)
Damnit!

The saiyans are all buff (except krillin). We need to have buff characters! No more character butchering and rubber muscles like juggernaut in X3. I'll be so pissed :rasp:

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Haha..maybe they should do a casting call at AM :bruce1:

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Damnit!

The saiyans are all buff (except krillin). We need to have buff characters! No more character butchering and rubber muscles like juggernaut in X3. I'll be so pissed :rasp:
Krillin was human duh :icon_lol:
Y'know the problem with a Dragonball Z movie is that you'd have to have around 4 full length movies to get the whole story from Z. Plus, I've kind of having a hard time imagining the fight scenes being any good.

Now, when are they going to get around to making the Metal Gear Solid movie? Konami have already said they want it to happen and David Hayter would be favourite to be Snake, I'd love it to happen.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
OH man....Its been wayyy to long for me. I can't beleive I forgot Krillin was a human. *5 lashings*

For the fight scenes, think Matrix Revolutions when Neo was flyign around...it was decent.I can see it happening.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
OH man....Its been wayyy to long for me. I can't beleive I forgot Krillin was a human. *5 lashings*

For the fight scenes, think Matrix Revolutions when Neo was flyign around...it was decent.I can see it happening.
:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:
trust me I take no pleasure in this :run:

It could be good if the right director etc.

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards

you took the words right out of my mouth, when i was watching the last fight scene with neo and that agent all i kept thinking about was how much it reminded me of dbz and how phat they could really make it.

o yea also how keanu reeves would make the perfect yamsha lol

see.