Comment on check could lead to jail time for motorist

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Comment on check could lead to jail time for motorist

Associated Press
Jun. 27, 2006 08:25 AM

BERKLEY, Mich. - The parking fine was $10. But the comment Robert Militzer added to the check could land him in jail for 30 days.

The computer programmer from Allen Park got the ticket May 29. When Militzer wrote the check to Berkley District Court, he scribbled on the memo line, "BULL (expletive) MONEY GRAB."

That got Militzer an in-person court appearance - on a contempt of court charge. He's scheduled to go before a judge Wednesday, accompanied by an American Civil Liberties Union attorney who will argue Militzer's remark is protected by the First Amendment.
advertisement

Militzer, 38, was ticketed for parking in front of a friend's house overnight. He said he obeyed signs prohibiting parking between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. during previous visits, but the signs weren't there the morning he was cited.

"I thought they were gaming me, collecting fines without giving people a fair chance to avoid it," Militzer told The Detroit News. "If the sign had been there, I knew what the law was. I would take my lumps and move on."

Militzer said he realized the off-color notation "didn't solve anything." But, he added, "It let them know I felt they were being unfair."

Richard Eshman, Berkley's public safety director, said Militzer could have requested a hearing to argue against the ticket. "There's an avenue for protesting that kind of thing," he said.

ACLU lawyer Elsa Shartsis said Militzer's "choice of words may not be the best, and it may offend some people, but it's not illegal."

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If he gets anything for writing that i'll be pissed. I lost count the number of times i've done that. Including mailing my 1 day late fee in pennies.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
If he gets anything for writing that i'll be pissed. I lost count the number of times i've done that. Including mailing my 1 day late fee in pennies.
You actually did that?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
issuing parking tickets must be the one worst jobs in the world... Just think, it's your job to ruin people's days. You bring anger and frustration to the masses.. no happiness comes from what you do.... people want to spit in your face... I'm surprised they don't hang themselves more often..

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
that is compltely rediculouse. I would think he would try to bring more media attention to the issue just because of the support he would probably gain.

Ubi, parking officers serve a as a valuable aspect to any respectable communinity. I mean I parked within my legal limiits of that white line and yet they knew my actions were careless and must be reprimanded.. Wait you right they dont anything but ruin peoples day... assets my ass

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That is some fvcked up ****. It's his right to write that. He definitely needs to bring more media attention, which I'm sure he can get. I got some BS parking ticket in college and I got the fee waived by making witty remarks and drawing attention at the school paper about my situation over $56. May not seem like a lot but $56 buys you a decent amount of Test :D

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man Pays $10 Fine With Cleaned-Up Check

snippet
The American Civil Liberties Union came to the defense of the 38-year-old computer programmer from Allen Park. ACLU lawyer Elsa Shartsis filed a six-page brief contending the remark was constitutionally protected free speech.

But the anticipated First Amendment showdown didn't happen. Militzer appeared in court Wednesday with Shartsis, who told Judge William Sauer: "My client does regret any offense that he made to the court. He disagrees with the ticket but had no intent of offending the court."

The apology, and Militzer's agreement to pay the ticket with a G-rated check, was enough for Sauer to dismiss the contempt charge.