Need your ideas!

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Hey gang, here's the deal. I'm starting up a "Fitness Club" over at my community college so that students can get into shape and be healthy (among other things). We're going to hold weekly meetings and maybe host some competitions (like a jump rope competition) to get students more involved and stuff. The thing I want to emphasize in the "club" is motivation and keeping people on track with their workout goals. I decided to form this club when this one lady that I was showing around the weight room decided to not work out anymore after I spend 4 hours showing her exercises and giving her some general tips. Anyway, I need some ideas to bring to the meetings! I want to make this "Fitness Club" work and I'd hate to see it fizzle into nothing. But this is my first time forming one and it'll be tough. So any ideas would be great, to inspire staying power, ya know. Good or bad, I just need 'em. Thanks gang!!

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One of the best ideas I've heard at any school in a long time...rep points coming your way! I think phys ed should be stressed more at every education level.

As to where to start, umm...well, I don't know where to start! Maybe see if you can have some professional-looking promo materials made up to attract people, see if you can locate any Certified Personal Trainers at the school, and most importantly make the campus public safety aware of where and when you actually do workouts in case some of the newbies get injured and need an ambulance.

Keep us updated!

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Make it appealing to people who not only are in shape but those who need to become in better shape, sometimes its hard for someone who is overweight to go into a gym where the "skinny,fit" people go.

I would suggest maybe getting a local Weight watchers in there and start the diet side of it, they have some cool plans, programs and that way more people to get ideas from.

Good luck

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Hey Meth, about that personal trainer idea, our club is going to get some funding from the student senate so I can probably sponser a personal trainer to speak at one of our meetings! And Toughchick, your idea about the weightloss thing gave me an idea. I'll probably take a before and after pic of the club members so they can see how far they've gone towards the end of the semester. The person with the most change gets a prize. Or something!!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
How about a "healthy meal" potluck where you meet at someone's house and cook up some healthy food, socialize, and bond as a group?

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, food! I'll see if I can work something out, and I'll work on my cooking skills over the summer in time for fall semester!