this is going to sound dumb

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
but what do you guys think is the best method for lets say taking someone down in a fight. (example)

i think fights are bad and should be avoided at all costs, but im just curious as to what you guiys think, thanks.

Mason

Awards
Single or double leg takedown. Or just hit them in the face..lol.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I like to thrust my open hand like I'm gonna grab their throat, but just thrust it into the throat without grabbing them.. Most cops and MP's do that to subdue someone real quick..

Either that, or shoot in for the knees and apply a choke or heel hook.. :)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Too many variables for one difinitive answer. I like joint locks/arm bars personally as I can obtain and maintain control of my opponent and either take him completly to the ground or keep him partially upright to act as a shield against multiple attackers. (After softening them up of course. Perhaps an eye strike, groin kick, ear slap, etc.) An upper fake hook as I twist into a low downward round kick targeting the side of the knee can be quite effective as well. Personally, I would predominately only be fighting for self defense and I would match force with the apparent intent of the would be assailant. You strike at my throat and I am going to assume you mean me grave harm. Expect deadly blows reciprocated ad hoc. You have a knife, forget about it, dead man walking.

Chances are, if you are asking this question, any attempt to take someone down who has a fair amount of training may not end up in your favor.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
The "Crane" kick from the Karate Kid

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Front kick to a thai clinch and rain knees till they slip into sweet unconsciousness.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Watch Bass Rutten's Leathal Street Fighting video "everyone underestimates the kick to the balls" lol. If it's a street fight then by all means kick em in the balls first then proceed with a punch preferably as was mentioned earlier to the throat.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
People underestimate a punch to the gut... I've "seen" many a man go down with a punch to the stomach. Likely they have a good chin and are not expecting it, with the wind knocked out of them they hunch over pretty easy.
I call it the Houdini.
cc

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on the person and how they measure up to my size. In all honesty if you go into a fight looking for one particular take down and don't get it off you're screwed. The best bet is to avoid them all together. If you have to fight then it's best to learn to protect yourself over taking someone down.

tattoopierced1

a good swift kick in the nyuts will take care of someone.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
kicking in a street fight wouldnt look girly?

and you guys are definately more fun than M and F guys lol.

BTW what do you guys take (boxing, etc)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Shoot-style wrestling, BJJ and Wu-Shu, all informal training.. Took TKD for 4 months, boring and they wanted me to do tournaments all the time since I was the biggest in the class..

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Kajukenbo (mix of Karate, Judo, JiuJistu, Kenpo and Gung Fu)
Grappling (Similar to BJJ)
Some Escrima

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
awesome

my friend (s) are going to start sparring (boxing)
what type of gloves should we get? (10 OZ, etc?)
and what type of face protectors are necessary, and are wrist wrap necessary?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
awesome

my friend (s) are going to start sparring (boxing)
what type of gloves should we get? (10 OZ, etc?)
and what type of face protectors are necessary, and are wrist wrap necessary?
Muay thai
BJJ
Wrestling

16 oz gloves are standard boxing size and wraps are good to use for wrist and hand stability. One of the reasons Fedor Emelianenko has broken his hand several times is because he does not wrap his hands.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok so 16 OZ gloves, wrist wraps.
is that it for safety or shoulde we wear mouthguards
thanks

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
and what size wrist wraps should i buy for the best wrist and hand protection.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok so 16 OZ gloves, wrist wraps.
is that it for safety or shoulde we wear mouthguards
thanks
Definitely wear a mouthguard; it will help to lessen the impact on your head and so you don't have as many cuts in your mouth.

Mason

Awards
Muay thai
BJJ
Wrestling

16 oz gloves are standard boxing size and wraps are good to use for wrist and hand stability. One of the reasons Fedor Emelianenko has broken his hand several times is because he does not wrap his hands.
That's what I do - Will be doing.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
This is a interesting question. I am interested in learning Krav Maga which is a Israeli self defense and disarmment Martial Art. Seems very interesting.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
This is a interesting question. I am interested in learning Krav Maga which is a Israeli self defense and disarmment Martial Art. Seems very interesting.
They teach this at my Kajukenbo school. I have not taken it but it looks to be pretty down and dirty. I like it but I prefer learning a softer style art that can be mastered and used effectively even as an old man. I can't see my self doing Krav at 70. :)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Krav needs alot of force, tai chi (not the americanized exercise in your pj's type) is more fluid and can be done no matter how old you get..

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok so this is what i ordered/will order:
pairs of 180 inch wrist wraps
16 OZ boxing gloves (they have sparring gloves on ringside.com, should i get those or 16 OZ gloves?)
mouthguard

is that all?

thank you

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Krav needs alot of force, tai chi (not the americanized exercise in your pj's type) is more fluid and can be done no matter how old you get..
Exactly. The Kajukenbo style I take is Tum Pai and has a lot of Tai Chi incorporated.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Last edited by a moderator:

eGhost

Awards
but what do you guys think is the best method for lets say taking someone down in a fight. (example)

i think fights are bad and should be avoided at all costs, but im just curious as to what you guiys think, thanks.
I prefer a handgun, but picking up any object within your reach seems to work well if available. When all else fails and you must use you limbs to strike, give him a solid foot strike to the knee to either hyperextend or break it.

I promise he will never attempt to mess with you again, nor will anyone else that hears about what you did. Putting someone in a wheelchair for 3 months or longer will make them think twice about ever starting another fight.

Just be aware that my advice could lead to criminal charges, jail time, a felony, the death penalty, serious injury, death, a lawsuit, or endless hot chicks wanting to bang you. Proceed with caution.

eGhost.:run:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I prefer a handgun, but picking up any object within your reach seems to work well if available. When all else fails and you must use you limbs to strike, give him a solid foot strike to the knee to either hyperextend or break it.

eGhost.:run:
Consider this carefully. If you try to strike me with a limb, I will reciprocate with equal force untill you are subdued, preferably without causing you serious injury. If you pick up a weapon the chances of me obtaining a favorable outcome of litigation have increased significantly in the event that I do you serious harm. I know many people who look and act as normal as the next guy yet have significant physical and mental abilities allowing them to dominate most physical encounters with ease. Especially against the typical untrained fighter who picks up a weapon that he has no proficiency in yielding. Usually a weapon will delineate the agressors intended strike. If your holding a club in your right hand, chances are you are going to be swinging a club with your right hand. On top of that, if you are not lucky enough to land a strong blow, you will have commited a lot of energy and motion toward a line or sphere allowing a minimal amount of force to send you on a circular journey toward the ground. IMHO

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
and 16 OZ is a whole damn pound, isnt that hard to do
i just cant find any 16 OZ that are under 30

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
Consider this carefully. If you try to strike me with a limb, I will reciprocate with equal force untill you are subdued, preferably without causing you serious injury. If you pick up a weapon the chances of me obtaining a favorable outcome of litigation have increased significantly in the event that I do you serious harm. I know many people who look and act as normal as the next guy yet have significant physical and mental abilities allowing them to dominate most physical encounters with ease. Especially against the typical untrained fighter who picks up a weapon that he has no proficiency in yielding. Usually a weapon will delineate the agressors intended strike. If your holding a club in your right hand, chances are you are going to be swinging a club with your right hand. On top of that, if you are not lucky enough to land a strong blow, you will have commited a lot of energy and motion toward a line or sphere allowing a minimal amount of force to send you on a circular journey toward the ground. IMHO
:goodpost:

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh and also, what should we do to warm up before we fight?

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I find a front ball kick works everytime, followed by a round house kick to the head :)

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
OK NEVERMIND IGNORE ALL POSTS I MADE ABOUT SPARRING IM JOINING A BOXING GYM that will be better and they will actualy show me how to fight in person so ill do that before i spar friends.
its 50$ a month, doesnt that seem a little cheap? its called hurricane boxing in tampa.

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
I find a front ball kick works everytime, followed by a round house kick to the head :)
Angry men do not respond to the ball kick the way they do in movies.
I've seen guys put people through walls in response to that move.
It's only sometime afterwards that they actually acknowledge they're in some pain.

eGhost

Awards
Most people who you will encounter that pick a fight with you do not have any higher skills then "average". While I understand your point, the aggressive person will most likely not have a chance. I consider myself a bit above average but I'm sure that is in the eye of the beholder.

The way I see things are like this. I do not and will not start a fight for any reason. If I am left to defend myself then I will use a weapon if available. There is no sense in damaging my hands, legs, or possibly taking a blow or two if I can get around it. If someone picks a fight with me and I must defend myself then I want it to be over as fast as possible with minimal to no injuries to my person.

Fancy submissions, pretty kicks, and spinning backhands are great for T.V. but there are easier ways to drop a knucklehead. I'm probably one of the smallest guys on the forum so my logic may not make sense to you.

If your bold enough to pick a fight with me then I make it a point to hurt you and hurt you bad as fast as possible by any means necessary. This prevents anyone from getting up off the ground and usually makes their friends think twice before trying their luck.

Again, this is just my experience and your results may vary.

eGhost.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Most people who you will encounter that pick a fight with you do not have any higher skills then "average". While I understand your point, the aggressive person will most likely not have a chance. I consider myself a bit above average but I'm sure that is in the eye of the beholder.

The way I see things are like this. I do not and will not start a fight for any reason. If I am left to defend myself then I will use a weapon if available. There is no sense in damaging my hands, legs, or possibly taking a blow or two if I can get around it. If someone picks a fight with me and I must defend myself then I want it to be over as fast as possible with minimal to no injuries to my person.

Fancy submissions, pretty kicks, and spinning backhands are great for T.V. but there are easier ways to drop a knucklehead. I'm probably one of the smallest guys on the forum so my logic may not make sense to you.

If your bold enough to pick a fight with me then I make it a point to hurt you and hurt you bad as fast as possible by any means necessary. This prevents anyone from getting up off the ground and usually makes their friends think twice before trying their luck.

Again, this is just my experience and your results may vary.

eGhost.

I really don't disagree with your logic. My responce was more of a clarification and/or warning to the unskilled (ie the progenitor of this thread) to really consider the possible consequences of arming themselves hastily.

eGhost

Awards
I really don't disagree with your logic. My responce was more of a clarification and/or warning to the unskilled (ie the progenitor of this thread) to really consider the possible consequences of arming themselves hastily.
Agreed.:thumbsup:

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Angry men do not respond to the ball kick the way they do in movies.
I've seen guys put people through walls in response to that move.
It's only sometime afterwards that they actually acknowledge they're in some pain.

I did it once in my life and it worked rather well :) I realize I was lucky, and your right but his face is something that makes me laugh to this day......Mean yeah I know...but he deserved it:bruce1:

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
I did it once in my life and it worked rather well :) I realize I was lucky, and your right but his face is something that makes me laugh to this day......Mean yeah I know...but he deserved it:bruce1:
LOL, I'm sure he did. :)