So Im gonna get this hernia taken care of.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I finally made an appointment for a consultation to get my umbilical hernia taken care of. I just feel fvcked up in the head about training right now. I know that I will be out of commission for a while and will lose lots of muscle. However, I am motivated because I will be back to deads and squats sooner than later if I get this taken care of right now.

What in hell should I do in the meantime, until I go surgery? Should I become best friends with the elliptical, sit on my ass, keep lifting. I feel it to be discouraging to be spending time lifting right now for muscle I will lose. Perhaps deconditioning for that period of time will help me gain a higher level of hypertrophy thereafter. Any ideas people?

-Theshocker

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I had the same surgery in November of 2003, I had to take two whole months off, and when I went back to lifting I think I may have given myself another umbilical hernia, but on the upper part, instead of the left side like it the one I had operated on. You aren't really going to make it any worse than it already is, just make sure to breathe when you lift. You are going to be super sore, you will barely be able to sit up straight, after the surgery. Another bad part is no sex till its healed also. Good luck and don't let it discourage you, when you are able to get back in the gym, take it slow and easy, you don't want to get another one.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I just want to remind everyone on this board...

1. Don't take full health for granted.

2. Enjoy not being injured.

3. Squat, deadlift and train abs like there is no tomorrow!

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to get mine looked at and repaired by a dr. soon. I was wondering how long I'd have to take off. Two months would really suck. How much muscle did you lose and how long was it before you got back to your usual strength on various lifts?

How long until you could at least walk around, sit up, have sex, etc, normally?

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Umbilicals are different from inguinals which is what I had fixed. B5150 could give you guys better insight I'm sure. It's been a month for me and I can tell I need a couple more weeks... I was initally told approx. 6-8.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
That's gotta be hell having to not work out at all for 6 weeks. Are you keeping protein intake high, doing a lot of BCAA's or anything to try to retain what you can?