My first bike, watcha think?

Schwaugher

Awards
Well, I’m about 2 months away from getting my bike, a Kawasaki Ninja 650-R, and modifying it a little [cosmetic modifications only]. If you want to know all the specification of the bike visit 2006 Kawasaki NINJA 650 and ER 6N The first pic is the stock silver version of the Kawasaki Ninja 650R available in the US. Notice the bottom cowl is black, and on the black bike the bottom cowl is silver. That’s a marketing ploy that pisses me off! And in the US the frames only come in red, on both the black and silver editions.

Different countries have different colors, and I stumbled upon a person in Canada who has a silver bike with a gold frame. His bike is shown in the second pic. The gold frame with a silver bottom cowl is what im going for.

I was also going to and on gold wheel strips when I buy the bike. Red wheel strips are shown in the 3rd pic, just imagine they were gold. I have to buy new riding gear, but I want to get the bike first so I know what colors to get the gear.

The only problem is that I don’t know how I can get a gold frame. I don’t know if the motorcycle shop will or even if they can order the bike or frame from Canada and have it shipped down here. If they can, I’m sure it would cost a fortune. It would probably be cheaper for me to fly to Canada pay cash for the bike and ride it home. I’ll go find out the prices of everything pretty soon. I know the stock bike is around $6,300 but with all the stuff I want to do to it, plus the price of gear it will probably come out to $10k or so. What would you guys do?

Stock Silver Ninja 650R: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/BTGirl/BikePix/2006_0513KTW_DealsGap0002.jpg
Gold & Silver 650R: http://files.tagworld.com/20bf6726e573c6e141d29c6158d91bf7672c.jpeg
Silver & Red 650R w/wheel strips: http://www.glsigns.com/images/ninja650/wsninja650.jpg

ottomaddox

ottomaddox

Awards
What kind of riding experience do you have?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a good learning bike. Sporty but not too much power...Still will kill ya in a heartbeat if you don't respect the machine though. good luck and enjoy your new bike!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
What would you guys do?
What would I do? First, I would untuck my penis from between my legs and change into some heterosexual clothing. Are you really serious about color coordinating? You have GOT to send us some pictures of your workout clothes. "Should I wear the silver speedos with the gold sequin tank for my chest routine?" "I want to make sure they will match my silk gloves."

Totally messin with ya bro. Mostly.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Personally I'd wait until you get a bigger bike further down the line and then if you still want to give it a paintjob go for it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same here. First bikes are almost 100% of the time outgrown relatively fast and customizing them isn't cheap. I'd ride it and drop it a few times(which you will) and when you move up and got the oh ****S!, out of the way. Buy the bike and customize it then.

Plus until you get a R-1 or zx10 you don't have a real sport bike anyways :p

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Same here. First bikes are almost 100% of the time outgrown relatively fast and customizing them isn't cheap. I'd ride it and drop it a few times(which you will) and when you move up and got the oh ****S!, out of the way. Buy the bike and customize it then.

Plus until you get a R-1 or zx10 you don't have a real sport bike anyways :p
Truer words have never been spoken, that said I'd take a the upcoming Hayabusa or ZX1400 over the ass killing rides of the R-1 and ZX10R ;)

Schwaugher

Awards
Thanks for the replies. I guess i should have put my riding experience in their somewhere. I've been riding for a few month's on an old Kawasaki with a 440 cc engine. I've never dropped it, and this engine still has enough power to go over 80-90 mph on the freeways w/o any difficulty. As for the color coding thing. This is the only thing i have ever owned that i have thought of color coding. You can insult my manhood all you want i don't give a f--k, your entitled to your own opinion. As for the outgrowing the bike which i expect to do eventually, doesn't matter because i will not get rid of this bike, merely buy a larger one. A ZX-14 or FJR 1300 sounds good, but i never go over 100 mph nor do i intend to, and since i dont weigh anywhere close to 300 pounds i don't see the point of getting such a powerful bike. Thanks again for the comments.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hah! We'll see how long you don't go over 80 miles per hour. When you look down after cruising and realize you're at 120 :)

zx14 and the busa are sport tourers. Monster power machines but not a r-1 or zx10. I owned a zx11 which is about like the 14 in style and loved the hell out of it. Honestly, you can't go wrong as long as you're having fun. 2 wheels and the open road is beautiful no matter the ride.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is there any place that I could research sport bikes? I have thought about buying one recently, but don't know a damn thing about them and don't want to go look if I don't know what the hell I should be looking for.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
hah! We'll see how long you don't go over 80 miles per hour. When you look down after cruising and realize you're at 120 :)

zx14 and the busa are sport tourers. Monster power machines but not a r-1 or zx10. I owned a zx11 which is about like the 14 in style and loved the hell out of it. Honestly, you can't go wrong as long as you're having fun. 2 wheels and the open road is beautiful no matter the ride.
Yeah, fun comes first, getting your licence stripped from you comes second :icon_lol:

tattoopierced1

makes my mouth water for my GSXR 1000...either that or the Honda CBR 1000RR... only a few more months and i'll be back in the saddle.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
If I were you I would get a used bike. Say something like a few year old GSXR 750? Play and learn on it, than see where that takes you. And 9 years ago when I started to ride I said the same thing I wont go fast, I wont do wheelies, umm as I pass a state cop on 1 wheel going 120 a few months ago, what I had to out run it too LOL...... FYI when you hear the name busa you think funk that it has way to much power, that bike is so freaking comfortable its SICK. Yes it has power but its heavy, solid and a smoooth ride. I don't really know what your long term goals are here and I don't really think you know thats why I would get a used bike and not waste thousands of dollars!

Or which some people will disagree with me but this is what I did back in the day. You already have a bike, you know how to ride. Get what ever bike you really want. Busa, Gsxr 1000, etc etc..... I don't care what people say about the 600's and what not they are all fast as hell just remember when u start hitting 750cc and above first gear will come up and come up fast with no clutch. No matter what you get you have to respect it. I don't care if its a ninja 250 or 1400 :twisted:

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
makes my mouth water for my GSXR 1000...either that or the Honda CBR 1000RR... only a few more months and i'll be back in the saddle.
Tat let me know when you get 1 I'll ride down to good old Indiana and we can ride.....

Schwaugher

Awards
If I were you I would get a used bike. Say something like a few year old GSXR 750? Play and learn on it, than see where that takes you. And 9 years ago when I started to ride I said the same thing I wont go fast, I wont do wheelies, umm as I pass a state cop on 1 wheel going 120 a few months ago, what I had to out run it too LOL
This may very well be true, i might start doing wheelies and 120 on my commute to school or work, we'll just have to what and see. But since i can't do traffic school again for another 6 months, i going to try my best not to get a ticket while still having fun. I also do alot biking in the mountains, so im getting used to keeping the speed down.

FYI when you hear the name busa you think funk that it has way to much power, that bike is so freaking comfortable its SICK. Yes it has power but its heavy, solid and a smoooth ride. I don't really know what your long term goals are here and I don't really think you know thats why I would get a used bike and not waste thousands of dollars!
Thanks for your opinion, and yah i know the sport cruisers are heavy, but for a several hour ride to Vegas or Utah [two places i frequent], I don't think their is a better bike out there. As for the used bikes, i was looking for a used 650R but wasn't able to find one. The bike just came out this year so it's hard to find. And the used bikes i did find weren't very comfortable with their lowered handle bars and high seats. Comfort to me was a big priority in choosing this bike.

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
600RR!! I love my 05.. and she loves me :)

tattoopierced1

I enjoyed my 600 when i had it, except I looked like a bear on a tricycle hence why i'm going with the bigger bike, just for asthetics between me and the bike.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
I gave up my '94 V-Max a few years ago for a '71 GTO. It's insane on a bike around the Motor City :D

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
VTX1300 and a S&S custom chopper. Started out with crotch rockets, however I quickly realized that I was not mature enough for them.

If you get a bike from Canada, the US has motour restrictions and you will have to change your gauges to American standards and sometimes headlights depending in the type.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I bust out the old ninja when I'm wearing my zubaz pants...

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
i really want to get a bmw gs series when i get some moolah saved up. i love those bikes, great ergos and riding position.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I think Jayhawkk is butt ugly. But I'll still pet you and give you treats.

In all honesty, get a used bike that you beat the hell out of. You'll probably do something stupid... maybe not on the road, just moving it around, etc. You're not used to handling 400 lbs steel machines around and you're not used to balancing them, etc, even just walking them around.

Always wear full gear and ride safe.

Oh yeah, you'll keep it under 100 for about 3 rides.... when I went out, I don't think I ever kept it under 130... just too easy to abuse. My god I loved riding.... crap, I'm gonna buy another bike... dang this thread.

I blame you Jayhawkk.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Funny this is I actually had a Ninja 600R... BAHAHAH! Ok, ok, maybe it was a pink Ninja with white flames but who cares, it was still a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You find me a more ripped set of fishnet calves there big boy! BHAHAHAHAHAAH!

With those sexy fish net legs you must have a Ninja 250? Maybe a custom pink flamed paint job? HAHAH

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Funny this is I actually had a Ninja 600R... BAHAHAH! Ok, ok, maybe it was a pink Ninja with white flames but who cares, it was still a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You find me a more ripped set of fishnet calves there big boy! BHAHAHAHAHAAH!

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: I'll give you that award because I don't think I will be searching for that for awhile!!!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn getting blamed for **** while i'm not even around. I think you're actually my wife in disguise.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I think all BMW bikes are butt ass ugly.

I agree too BUT all the BMW guys probably think my bike is the gayest thing they ever seen. (But we all know they are just afraid of all that power) hahah jk ......

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah she does...I expect you to be home in nothing but fishnets and a thong when I get there!