Help joining a new gym.....

  1. Help joining a new gym.....


    I'm going to be joining a gym with my girlfriend in about a week. Probabaly 24 hour fitness. They have $70 initiation fee, $80 processing fee, $40 monthly fee...Keep in mind this is for each of us so basically $380 for the first month, and $80/month after that.

    I've been using a school/home gym my whole life so I'm not exactly sure, but these prices seem a little outrageous...Is there any way to try to get a discount or should I look elsewhere?


  2. I would try and bargain with them. Tell them that another gym is giving you a better deal. Alot of times they will subtract the initiation fee or the processing fee.

  3. Almost every gym i've belonged to waivers damn near all the prices.
    •   
       


  4. I went to all the gyms nearby when I moved to a new apt., so I knew exactly what everyone was charging. When you tell them you know, they will cut you a deal (unless all gyms have ludicrous prices in your area). I paid $1 for initiation, and $30/month for a Gold's Gym that is stocked. You never have to wait for anything. I know people at the same gym who pay $15 more per month. Shop around so you can bargain with information. They can waive pretty much everything (another gym offered to waive the $150 joining fee).

    The prices you were quoted sound ridiculous.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Almost every gym i've belonged to waivers damn near all the prices.
    Any tips? Maybe I should try to bang one of the employees.

  6. Yeah I thought they were pretty high. Thanks for the help guys, i'll get quotes from everywhere.

  7. Those prices are, IMHO, absolutely insane.

    Do you have any affiliations that may get you a discount, for instance military, public safety, etc?

    After 8 years at Bay State Gym in Worcester, MA, where I pay $25 a month, I am letting my membership run out. There's a new place opening in West Boylston that's three times the size, and at military rate I will be paying $10 a month including unlimited tanning. It's a great deal if the place turns out to be good...no equipment in there yet so I can't tell.

  8. 24-hours sometimes has special deals. I paid 3 years in advance (all fees etc included for < $600 or so) and now pay $99 annually. Going to the gym 4 times a week this is rediculous.

    Also remember you're dealing with salesmen when negotiating these deals. And they want to (and have to) find members. So don't be shy to tell them that your buddy got this deal or Whatever Gym around the corner charges so much etc.

    24-hour fitness offers add-on memberships as well ($15 monthly for first add-on) - don't know if that only applies to families only or if alternative are accepted as well.

  9. I have a 4 day a week membership for $26/mo. Works for me. I wouldn't pay the 40. For a 24hr btw.
  10. tattoopierced1
    tattoopierced1's Avatar

    i feel special.. I pay $135 per year for my 24hr access to my gym.

  11. Go in there and tell them you are looking for two memberships but you're looking for deals because you are on a budget. tell them you have enough for the monthly costs but all the other garbage isn't affordable. 9 times out of 10 you'll get that but you will probably have to get a direct withdrawl from your bank or cc. Might get around that too if you're a smooth enough talker

  12. Quote Originally Posted by methusaleh
    Those prices are, IMHO, absolutely insane.

    Do you have any affiliations that may get you a discount, for instance military, public safety, etc?

    After 8 years at Bay State Gym in Worcester, MA, where I pay $25 a month, I am letting my membership run out. There's a new place opening in West Boylston that's three times the size, and at military rate I will be paying $10 a month including unlimited tanning. It's a great deal if the place turns out to be good...no equipment in there yet so I can't tell.

    i dont think 24hr gives a Mil discount. Cause me and a buddy went in and got no special treatment, so we told the guy we'll jus workout on base for free with all of our Army buddies until they lower prices. Some reason, he didnt wanna budge on price, so we just stayed on base and now workout for free

  13. Quote Originally Posted by rocketscientist
    24-hours sometimes has special deals. I paid 3 years in advance (all fees etc included for < $600 or so) and now pay $99 annually. Going to the gym 4 times a week this is rediculous.

    Also remember you're dealing with salesmen when negotiating these deals. And they want to (and have to) find members. So don't be shy to tell them that your buddy got this deal or Whatever Gym around the corner charges so much etc.

    24-hour fitness offers add-on memberships as well ($15 monthly for first add-on) - don't know if that only applies to families only or if alternative are accepted as well.
    Maybe it'd be chaper to sign up one person and get an add-on, I should ask them about that. I will be living with her for a few months this summer, so it could prob. work.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by methusaleh
    Those prices are, IMHO, absolutely insane.

    Do you have any affiliations that may get you a discount, for instance military, public safety, etc?

    After 8 years at Bay State Gym in Worcester, MA, where I pay $25 a month, I am letting my membership run out. There's a new place opening in West Boylston that's three times the size, and at military rate I will be paying $10 a month including unlimited tanning. It's a great deal if the place turns out to be good...no equipment in there yet so I can't tell.
    No affiliations, unless theres a student discount?

  15. Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze
    Any tips? Maybe I should try to bang one of the employees.

    Personally, I'd stick with this plan. Now get to bangin brotha

  16. Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze
    I'm going to be joining a gym with my girlfriend in about a week. Probabaly 24 hour fitness. They have $70 initiation fee, $80 processing fee, $40 monthly fee...Keep in mind this is for each of us so basically $380 for the first month, and $80/month after that.

    I've been using a school/home gym my whole life so I'm not exactly sure, but these prices seem a little outrageous...Is there any way to try to get a discount or should I look elsewhere?
    JBlaze,

    I am a member of 24 Hour Fitness. You need to haggle with these guys; they are making a commission and will try to rip you off. I negotiated paying $600 for a 3-year membership (all dues paid) package. This package also gave me 5 free personal training sessions and, the best part, I get to renew after my 3 years are up for only $24/year. That's right, per _year_. Finally, check online because they often offer coupons and add'l savings.

    By the way, I am moving out out California to NYC, where 24 Hour Fitness does not have any gyms. So my membership will be going to waste. If you want, maybe we could work something out. Send me a PM if interested.

    J.

  17. What's with the high rates for working out now?

    I just got my renewal for Bally's, and they want $30 per month to renew, and the rate is going to increase for next year.

    Pure Fitness seems to want between $18 and $22 per month for their gyms, and the equipment is at least on par with Bally's.

    Back when I joined a gym in the late 80's, my contract said that $100 per year was the most that I'd pay. Unfortunately, the company I signed on with got bought out by Bally's, and well, they're asking for $360 a year for the same thing now.

    Shop around, check out the gyms, and make your own decision.

    -Tinytoad

  18. Check if your insurance will cover some. My insurance pays me $20 back each month if i use it 8 or more times a month. It depends on the fitness center, insurance companies make deals with gyms, not just with any place, so maybe that place will have that deal as well, than you would only be paying $20 a month.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Thinking about joining a new gym .... thoughts?
    By Torobestia in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 01:56 AM
  2. well now i've gotta find a new gym...
    By glenihan in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
  3. Training in a new gym...
    By captain chet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 04:09 PM
  4. Need help with a new 5x5 routine
    By lifted in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 11:45 PM
  5. New Gym Ow Ow!!
    By Kitchen Chemist in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 12:46 AM
Log in
Log in