contact lenses.....serious issues!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
im really bugged right now because i recently switched contact lens brands from acuvue 2s to acuvue advanced with hydroclear. the acuvue advanced slip all over my eye therefore making them red, irritated basically unbearable. im not sure if this "slipping" problem is due to that brand of contact or my previous pink eye infection (two weeks ago). i was wondering if any of you contact lens wearers had any opinions on the acuvue advanced with hydroclear?

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use Focus Night and Day. The only problems I have had is wearing them 10 days past the recommended 30 days. SWOLEN EYEZ!! I put a new pair in 2 days ago and this morning I woke up and one fell out of my eye because it was dry.

I apologize.... for not being of any help.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I used to use acuvue advanced, but I don't remember them slipping. However, they did irritate the hell out of my eye and always felt like there was dirt in them no matter how clean they actually were. Nowdays, I use O2 optix and I have been wearing them for a solid month without any probs.

One thing that I liked about my optomitrist was that she let me try a bunch of different brands befor I had to actually purchase any. You should ask yours if they will do the same. Good luck!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
I used to use acuvue advanced, but I don't remember them slipping. However, they did irritate the hell out of my eye and always felt like there was dirt in them no matter how clean they actually were. Nowdays, I use O2 optix and I have been wearing them for a solid month without any probs.
what are 02 optix? is it by johnson and johnson also? my eyes do feel as if there is dirt in them all the time.... i found an entire box of my old acuvue 2's tonight so im going to see if that helps ........ thanks alot! you too brent haha...

oh and how long did you use the acuvue advanced for before you stopped?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
what are 02 optix? is it by johnson and johnson also? my eyes do feel as if there is dirt in them all the time.... i found an entire box of my old acuvue 2's tonight so im going to see if that helps ........ thanks alot! you too brent haha...

oh and how long did you use the acuvue advanced for before you stopped?

They are made by ciba vision and are actually made to be left in for up to 2 week, obviously I have used them for a much longer period than that without any probs.

I am not sure how long I used the acuvue, but I think it was just a few weeks and I quite wearing contacts because of them. I had no idea and just thought that all contacts felt the same. Then I went to a new optometrist and they let me try a bunch of different brands and eventually found one that actually worked.

Just to let you know how great of a quality they are. I was given 12 pair and told that they would probably only last for 6 months. However, it is time for my one year checkup and I still have 6 pairs left...lol.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow thats wierd, I have been looking at the acuvue advanced with hydroclear in the lab all week, and they were the only brand to keep slipping off the holder making them a pain to mount before testing. I would guess its the brand as the others, even made by the same company were fine.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Interested to hear what the root casue was here. I also wear Acuuvue 2's. Guess there's no need in switching in the future if the Advanced have issues. Please keep us updated.
thanks

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This reply will not help with contact lenses, but I have been in glasses or contacts for 35 years, and I had lasik surgery on 6/1/06, my right eye was 20/400 and my left was20/80, I went in yesterday morning and my vision was FREAKIN 20/15
this is like a miracle to me, and it is a little costly but so far it is unbelieveable, now I can see your avatar even better Mrs. G., u have a body to be proud of, good luck on finding a better vision option......

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
I switched from Acuvue 2 to Acuvue Advanced after trying a pair three months ago. I love them...no "slipping," greater comfort, and feels like more O2 to the eye.

BUT---the Acuvue Advanced are biased on a different curvature algorhythm==you can't just use the exact same perscription of Acuvue 2--you have to have the fitted properly. My eye doctor took two measurements of my eye--one for Acuvue 2 and one for Acuvue Advanced.

Also--you shouldn't leave these in overnight, ie sleep in them. You shouldn't sleep in any lens, regardless fo what the manufacturer says. Prime way to get a serious eye infection.

chris3g

Awards
I switched from Acuvue 2 to Acuvue Advanced after trying a pair three months ago. I love them...no "slipping," greater comfort, and feels like more O2 to the eye.

BUT---the Acuvue Advanced are biased on a different curvature algorhythm==you can't just use the exact same perscription of Acuvue 2--you have to have the fitted properly. My eye doctor took two measurements of my eye--one for Acuvue 2 and one for Acuvue Advanced.

Also--you shouldn't leave these in overnight, ie sleep in them. You shouldn't sleep in any lens, regardless fo what the manufacturer says. Prime way to get a serious eye infection.
so you shouldn't sleep in Night & Day lenses, even though that is the whole point of the lense, they are FDA approved for such use, and every eye doctor i've talked to says it is fine to do so?

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
alright....i just put in my acuvue 2's again.....my ginuea pig day has begun! i'll repost my results tonight....

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
so you shouldn't sleep in Night & Day lenses, even though that is the whole point of the lense, they are FDA approved for such use, and every eye doctor i've talked to says it is fine to do so?
Well, drugs like Fen-Phen approved, and aren't exactly good for you.

Every opthomologist I have known has told me that if you want to avoid the risk of eye infection, don't sleep in your lenses.

Have you ever cultured bacteria in agar? What do you think a warm, protein filled, contained space like your sleeping eye covered with a contact functions like?

Regardless, I thought we were talking about daily wear disposables here: Acuvue 2 and Acuvue Advanced?

EDIT:
Check these out:
Research warns against sleeping in contact lenses
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=21663

"Despite these improvements, sleeping in contact lenses still carries a greater risk of complications than does nightly removal of lenses."
http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/extended.htm

It is true that the Silicon Hydrogel lenses reduce incidence of infection by 5X, which is considerable, but the rate of infection is still more than I would temp, considering you don't have to see while you sleep.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Never worn contacts, so I can't comment. But I am planning on getting my eyes checked out since I haven't in over 10 years, and I'm setup to do a ton of reading in the next few months.

What I'm trying to say is that given the cost of contact lenses/glasses/etc over 1 or 2 years, have you ever looking into Lasik surgery? Since the price is quite reasonable where I'm from (land of the high expenses), I can't imagine them being too high in the States. Just a thought...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lasik doesn't correct all vision problems and some have reverted to their old vision.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
okay.... so all day yesterday my eyes were great! im pretty sure my eyes just hated the acuvue advanced ones. as far as lasik is concerned, i cant get it yet because my vision hasnt stablized, maybe in a few more years....

KG interesting study with the lens slipping...

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, Acuvue Advanced lenses with hydraclear are the same as most other contact lenses, except in material. I believe the main difference is in the material composition of the actual lens. Most contact lenses are now gas permeable lenses (as opposed to the first lenses which came out being hard lenses made of polymethyl methacrylate. These lenses allowed oxygen to enter the eye by moving the actual lens when you blink which allows O2 dissolved in tears to reach the cornea instead of O2 diffusing directly into the eye from the environment). They are made of plastics combined with silicone and fluoropolymers which in turn allow oxygen to pass directly through the lens. These lenses are also soft and incorporate some kind of water (such as saline or hydraclear). The difference with Acuvue Advanced with Hydraclear is that they use a different plastic material (not sure of the exact composition, I think it's silicon hydrogel which allows 6-7 times more O2 to reach the eye), but they also contain Galyfilcon A which helps block out UV rays, etc. Also the lenses are hydrophilic, meaning they absorb a lot of the water in your eye to make themselves more flexible & softer. Absorbing all that water might be making them slip off your eye because they're too moist.

Basically, they are made out of a different material than the majority of lenses, hence why it probably wasn't gripping your eye as well.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you guys aren't using this stuff:

Little bit older but the publicity has been terrible on it for such serious health concerns.

By Mark Huffman
ConsumerAffairs.Com

Weeks after an outbreak of serious eye infection focused attention on Bausch & Lomb’s ReNu with MoistureLoc, the Food and Drug Administration has announced the company is recalling the contact lens solution.

The FDA says a team from Bausch & Lomb met with officials last week to share information resulting from the company's internal investigation into cases of Fusarium keratitis associated with ReNu with MoistureLoc.

Bausch & Lomb has concluded that unique characteristics of the formulation of the ReNu with MoistureLoc product in certain unusual circumstances can increase the risk of Fusarium infection, the agency said.

Based on this scientific and epidemiological data suggesting that ReNu with MoistureLoc may increase susceptibility to Fusarium, Bausch & Lomb has decided to permanently remove the ReNu with MoistureLoc product worldwide. The FDA said it supports this decision.

To date, available data do not indicate a problem with ReNu MultiPlus or ReNu Multi-Purpose or generic brands of this contact lens cleaning solution.

"While FDA is still concluding its scientific evaluations and expects additional information to be submitted by the sponsor, at this time we recognize that Bausch & Lomb has proposed the formulation as the potential root cause of the increased relative risk of Fusarium keratitis associated with use of the ReNu with MoistureLoc product," the FDA said in a statement.

"FDA will continue to review cultures and epidemiological data and if there is new information that adds to or changes our current understanding, we will act on it in a timely and appropriate manner."

As part of the joint Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and FDA investigation, field officers have been inspecting the Bausch & Lomb plant and facilities in Greenville, SC since March 22, 2006 . While the plant inspection is being finalized, the FDA said there is still some additional testing to be completed. The agency plans to issue observations from the inspections imminently.

ReNu with MoistureLoc contact lens solution, manufactured in the Greenville , SC plant, was voluntarily withdrawn from the market in the United States on April 13, 2006 . To date, a majority of the confirmed Fusarium cases have been associated with the ReNu with MoistureLoc.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/05/renu_recall.html