Help Me I Have A Virus

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I have a virus that has destroyed alot of my exe files, and is now into windows files so I cannot destruct it because these files are unquaranteenable.

PLEASE give me a crash course on formatting in laymans!

I dont have driver CD's. is this okay?? Like i heard you need disks with the drivers for even your MOTHERBOARD!! How do i save these onto disk or do i even need them. ALL help is appreciated.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Okay heres what i am thinking of doing

going to dos and formatting

Shutting down
turning on
going into BIOS
set up bios
put in windows XP install cd
install windows

alright?

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
Same thing happened to me last week, I took the the computer place in town, they wiped it clean and reloaded windows for in one hour, charged me 65 bucks though.........ouchhh:eek:

but I had no idea how to do it, so I just paid, all I care is that I am back on the net! ;)

Hal

Awards
Buy a mac.
If you really prefer windoze for some bizzare reason you can get VirtualPC and copy a whole windoze system onto that. I have to run windoze every once in a while so I bought an extra drive that I partitioned in half and I have a windoze section and a windoze backup section.
I've yet to meet the person that knows macs and windows that has chosen windows.

Hal

Awards
You're eloquence and well-reasoned opinion simply cannot be disputed.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
banana....if u still need help let me know, i re-format about once every 3 months so i'll be able to tell u how to do it....

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Just set your bios to boot from the cd rom, pop in the cd and restart. Your comp should then boot off the XP cd and also allows you to do a clean format. XP should be able to pick up most of your hardware. Whatever it doesn't get correct can be downloaded and installed yourself.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by whosyourdaddy02
Just set your bios to boot from the cd rom, pop in the cd and restart. Your comp should then boot off the XP cd and also allows you to do a clean format. XP should be able to pick up most of your hardware. Whatever it doesn't get correct can be downloaded and installed yourself.
Bingo, question answered EBE. There are more than enough geeks here (like myself) to help. :D I reformat about every 6 months or so myself, gotta do what you gotta do :)

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
I have a virus that has destroyed alot of my exe files, and is now into windows files so I cannot destruct it because these files are unquaranteenable.

PLEASE give me a crash course on formatting in laymans!

I dont have driver CD's. is this okay?? Like i heard you need disks with the drivers for even your MOTHERBOARD!! How do i save these onto disk or do i even need them. ALL help is appreciated.

I will not resort to name calling and personal attacks. Also Weave is the man. :)

edit:jweave23

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
My friend fooled around with the computer, the good news is the virus is gone, but performance is pretty substandard. I will learn more about formatting in the next month and do it soon.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention start up time is about double what it used to be, and I get an error popup after the computer has completed starting up.

Right now when i'm typing, there is a lag between each key I type. This should not be happenning with a 1.9 GHZ and 256mb of R-DRAM

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I have a question guys I get a message like this upon startup

Limited Virtual Memory
Your System has no paging file, or the paging file is too small.

So I know how to get there to change the parameters and everything. I think it gives me a minimum and a maximum. What do I set these parameters as? I clicked "let windows determine the number" before and I still got the same problem.

khafra

Awards
Awright, I'm assuming you've gone to the control panel, system, advanced tab, performance options, and clicked "change" for the paging file size. It should normally be from 1.5 to 3 times the amount of RAM you have, so with 256 MB of RAM that'll be 384 - 768 MB. However, if you're getting out of memory errors on startup, with 256 megs of ram, there's something wrong. Check the event log, read the source for the error message that's popping up, and check it at www.technet.com. You probably don't have everything you need installed.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Even though you may have gotten rid of the virus, I would reformat ASAP.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I did that khafra, but I should have updated you guys. I got the problem fixed. Sometimes people with XP get that message when they have my motherboard, so I downloaded intell applications accelerator and my computer improved 300%

Thanks for all the help from everyone.