Hypothyroidism

CREAO

Awards
Hello everyone, I was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and prescribed synthroid. I was wondering if anyone has this condition or know of anyone who has it that could shed some light on how it will effect training, weight gain/loss...etc. Thanks

Lightning

Awards
Unfortunately, people with hypothyroidism usually have a difficult time losing weight. Since your body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone you will most likely have a problem with a slow metabolism.
This is very important- make sure that you visit your endocrinologist regularly at the beginning . It is very difficult to find the right type and amount of replacement thyroid hormone. Most likely your dosage will have to be tweaked at the beginning.
Also be careful what supplements you take. Hair loss can be a problem with hypothyroidism so you may want to avoid certain supps.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of times the doc will subscribe an initial dose in cases that may be thyroid related. Have you already gone through that and are definately on this for good?

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I saw this and had to post, its late and I promise to post more tomorrow, but i have hypo also. I am on synthroid for life although i have to get my levels checked every 3 months, you can lose the weight and make gains but its a little more diffucult I think, but work hard, and never give in..:)

I promise to post more but off to bed ....

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't believe I said 'subscribe', I would edited that but a certain level of stupid should stay as a reminder.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabolics/20807-t3-half-life.html

This should help you alot. As I have a ok doc, but I know he is hesitant about perscribing Synthroid, even though it would make perfect sense, being that I am endo, with a sluggish metabolism, who can gain weight Very easily, and it takes serious restrictions to lose. Its a pain, but I think with optimal labs, and the right diet you will be a LEAN MACHINE !!!

CREAO

Awards
well my last blood test said that my TSH levels was a 6.34 and normal is 1-6 i believe. So my doc prescribed the synthroid and i have to check back with her in a month to see how its going.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well my last blood test said that my TSH levels was a 6.34 and normal is 1-6 i believe. So my doc prescribed the synthroid and i have to check back with her in a month to see how its going.

Your levels are not even bad, My tsh when I was diagnosed was 95, that is high!!!!

When you are young, sometimes its just a temporary condition, Both of my boys have grown out of it in less than a year when they were 18.

What dose did he give you? And I can tell you it is no magic pill at all, it will not make you lose weight, you have to work twice as hard as the normal person to make gains and lose fat. I ended up going on t3 and t4 and THEN I saw results, ya that was after 13 years of just t4 and finally getting a new doctor!. My body will not convert the t4 into t3 like it should.

You can get dry skin, brittle nails, lethargy, have a lower than normal body temperature, Mine was always 97. I never had hair loss.

It alot more common in women, and it is hereditary, does anyone else have it in your family?

CREAO

Awards
yea, i have all of those conditions lethargy, weakness, hard to concentrate, loss of libido...etc. The dose she gave me was .112 mg.

And No one in my family really has any history of it.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
YOU GOT SYNTHROID at levels of 6 :wtf: My levels were 1.0 yes 1.0 and he said nothing about TSH levels... SO that let me know he was not looking out for me !!! I def need a new DOC then.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
YOU GOT SYNTHROID at levels of 6 :wtf: My levels were 1.0 yes 1.0 and he said nothing about TSH levels... SO that let me know he was not looking out for me !!! I def need a new DOC then.

Apowers, 1 is good!!!!!! Its ok, your normal.....??? LOL relax :)

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
FNF, reading my labs it said 1-4 ref range, I am like should'nt I be worried since I am a 1, now researching it realizing my err, I still wonder why the hell my metabolism is sooo slow even with a clean diet.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea, i have all of those conditions lethargy, weakness, hard to concentrate, loss of libido...etc. The dose she gave me was .112 mg.

And No one in my family really has any history of it.

Hmmmmmm, they ususally start people out at .100mcg and then monitor you every 6 weeks or sooner if needed. Just a tip, when you go to get your blood work done to re-check, DO NOT take your synthroid until after you have labs done.

Honestly though 6 tsh is just over the range, do you think anything else could have caused your symptoms?

And its really odd no one in your famlily has it either, I bet its a temporary issue, caused by puberty, some people have it longer.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
FNF, reading my labs it said 1-4 ref range, I am like should'nt I be worried since I am a 1, now researching it realizing my err, I still wonder why the hell my metabolism is sooo slow even with a clean diet.
the lower the number the better :) Well you could need a little T3, tiny bit, I only take 5 mcg with .150 mcg synthroid.

There are several tests that can be done to check your thyroid. t4, f t4, tsh, antibody test, f3uptake, all kinds, I get them all each time to make sure everything is working.

But one for a TSH is VERY good :) once you get below one, into a negative that is HYPER thyroid, dont want that really. the border of the two is perfect :)

CREAO

Awards
hopefully it is a late-puberty kind of thing, but I started the synthroid yesterday...

CREAO

Awards
alright my doctor just called with the blood results from when she prescribed me with the synthroid...my TSH was a 32