How to shoo-away dudes at the Gym

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. How to shoo-away dudes at the Gym


    Before I start, I'm a hetero male. Now that we got that out of the way, I'm wondering how you guys politely deny conversation with your fellow gym members. Don't get me wrong--I'm not a ****. I'm never needlessly rude to people.

    However, I hate being at the gym any longer than I have to. I prefer to knock out my workouts with as much intensity/focus and as little rest as possible: partly because I need to be home in time for work (I work out ~6am), but MOSTLY because I simply cannot last more than ~1 hr at the gym with the intensity level I work out at. (To prolong my workout is to prolong my misery.)

    I already wear headphones, and try not to make eye contact with them, but these other people are just so chatty. The worst part is when they're dying to tell/ask me something as I'm in the middle of my set. (FYI, there's no way in hell I can speak intelligibly during my sets. I'm too preoccupied moving the weight while trying to breathe properly.)

    So, how do I let them know I'd rather not talk to them...without hurting their feelings? (I really don't want to hurt their feelings because I truly think they're nice people.)


  2. Quote Originally Posted by heftylefty58
    Before I start, I'm a hetero male. Now that we got that out of the way, I'm wondering how you guys politely deny conversation with your fellow gym members. Don't get me wrong--I'm not a ****. I'm never needlessly rude to people.

    However, I hate being at the gym any longer than I have to. I prefer to knock out my workouts with as much intensity/focus and as little rest as possible: partly because I need to be home in time for work (I work out ~6am), but MOSTLY because I simply cannot last more than ~1 hr at the gym with the intensity level I work out at. (To prolong my workout is to prolong my misery.)

    I already wear headphones, and try not to make eye contact with them, but these other people are just so chatty. The worst part is when they're dying to tell/ask me something as I'm in the middle of my set. (FYI, there's no way in hell I can speak intelligibly during my sets. I'm too preoccupied moving the weight while trying to breathe properly.)

    So, how do I let them know I'd rather not talk to them...without hurting their feelings? (I really don't want to hurt their feelings because I truly think they're nice people.)
    Why can't you just tell them that?

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    Fart.
    Haha...Or tell them one time you grunt so much when you lift because lifting aggravates your hemroids.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze
    So why can't you just tell them that?
    I capitalized on an opportunity to tell one guy that a couple weeks ago, and it seemed to work. He took it well, too, and I had a fantastic workout that day.

    Unfortunately, this week he seems to have forgotten that conversation.... Yap yap yap yap yap.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    Fart.
    If I did this, it would piss off everyone in the weight room, cardio room, bathrooms, and probably the neighboring businesses, too.


  6. Did someone let one rip in here.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by heftylefty58
    I capitalized on an opportunity to tell one guy that a couple weeks ago, and it seemed to work. He took it well, too, and I had a fantastic workout that day.

    Unfortunately, this week he seems to have forgotten that conversation.... Yap yap yap yap yap.
    Remind him...2 times is usually enough.

    I have a somewhat similar problem to you, but with me it's random **** in the gym asking me the same question that 6 other guys asked that week. I have no problem with a little chit chat between sets as long as they are my friends.

  8. When you figure it out let me know because i've yet to find a way to tell someone nicely to piss off while i'm working out. Headphones on and blasting. I don't mind lending a hand at spotting or offering advice if asked but full on conversations especially ones with nothing to do with lifting piss me off.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze
    Remind him...2 times is usually enough.
    I think you're right--the second time might do the trick. Don't get me wrong, though--my situation isn't exactly horrible. It's just distracting.

    Good luck with your situation, though.

  10. Pretend you're deaf and start rapidly faking sign language at them.....

  11. whip out your weewee and start whacking off right in front of them, they'll never bother you again

  12. Bezzle is such a charmer!


    Really, being a prick works. I don't make eye contact with anyone, I have headphones on all of the time, and if someone tries to talk to them I pretend I'm in my own world and ignore them or I'll start sexing up the nearest machine. If you're bad at being a prick, then be as big of price as you can while still being nice.

  13. in all seriousness, ignore them. who gives a flying **** if they're offended? they should know better than to bother you while you're lifting. i've had a few here and there that attempt to address me in the middle of a set but i just simply tune them out. after the set, i'll generally ask them what they wanted. i've yet to have anyone cop an attitude.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    i've yet to have anyone cop an attitude.
    lol..I wonder why Beelze....

    Weird Guy Trying to Ask Beelze A Quest: "Excuse me, I was wondering blah blah blah"

    Beelze: (ignores till end of set)

    Weird Guy: "Excuse me you 260lb monster who has a back tattoo bigger then my entire body, I would like to fight you"

    Just doesn't seem like a plausible situation..

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    lol..I wonder why Beelze....

    Weird Guy Trying to Ask Beelze A Quest: "Excuse me, I was wondering blah blah blah"

    Beelze: (ignores till end of set)

    Weird Guy: "Excuse me you 260lb monster who has a back tattoo bigger then my entire body, I would like to fight you"

    Just doesn't seem like a plausible situation..
    that would be funny though. i would say "no no no, i'm 265"

    it's just proper gym etiquette. if they don't understand it, then you probably don't want to talk to them anyway and i doubt you'll miss out on any valuable pointers.

  16. Yeah, I cannot stand when they do it right in the middle of the set. The funnies thing for me is when I come into the gym, and some buddy who is bigger then me will snicker, or do something prickish. And then after my second sead of Deadlifts he is usually asking me something..lol

  17. I have a creepy gay guy that has followed me around my last 2 workouts. I was nick at first, but after a couple of sets I started to act like a huge prick just to get him off my back and he still doesn't get the point. He doesn't even workout he just stands there and talks to me in the middle of my sets. I started working out at different times just to get away from him.

  18. He's your Marla..As in Marla from Fight Club, it has happened to me a few times too..

  19. Its terrible I know how hot girls feel now. Horny dudes are creepy

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    He's your Marla..As in Marla from Fight Club, it has happened to me a few times too..
    marla, the big tourist. like the sore on the roof of your mouth that would heal if you stopped tonguing it......but you can't.

  21. Farting, being a prick, Gym jacking, headphones are all noteworthy ideas and could be used seprately or together to be anti social. But nothing beats permant foul body odor couple(like funky BO) with bad breath.
    Farts fade over time
    For really hard cases you could do all at the same time.

  22. I had a lot of trouble with this issue, and could not conquer it. I workout at home now, putting dumbells together sucks.

  23. Give em a mushroom slap or hit them with a 45 plate, they shall leave you alone

  24. Quote Originally Posted by okboy63
    Farting, being a prick, Gym jacking, headphones are all noteworthy ideas and could be used seprately or together to be anti social. But nothing beats permant foul body odor couple(like funky BO) with bad breath.
    Farts fade over time
    For really hard cases you could do all at the same time.
    Lol, I started taking a bunch of fish oil caps before I go to the gym, then I munch on some copenhagen, the BO comes in after about 15 minutes, so I have a good solid ration of Fish Breath/BO going. If anyone starts bothering me, I become instant close talker, it's been working fairly good. Some guys just don't get it though, you have to spell it out and sometimes more than once. Unfortunately I just moved and now I may have to start the process all over again, hopefully not but probably.

  25. Go into the gym with one of those sleeping masks, preferably black satin. Not only would that freak people out, they'd probably wanna stay away from the sleepy dude doing deadlifts and bench presses.

  26. You pay to work out there.

    So worry about the workout and not the other gym members.


    >>Attractive females excluded of course

  27. Try not using the word Shoo

    Ha, just kidding. But seriously if you were as ugly as I am you would have no problems with them lol


    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  28. My most successful effort was the Charles Manson look I developed. This only helped with the annoying hetero's. Nothing will stop the romo's.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Try not using the word Shoo

    Ha, just kidding. But seriously if you were as ugly as I am you would have no problems with them lol


    CROWLER
    That ain't no lie..Crowler has been known to frighten small children.

  30. i posted a while ago something that happened at my gym... there was man.. large man.. over dramatic lifiting style.. would scream and throw weights down.. you know the kind... anyway.. he was doing some squats.. not too much weight for his size.. maybe 4 plates on either side... breathing heavy.. grunting.. screaming to get ready to lift.... goes under.. lifts off.. squats.. cant do it.. cant make it.. tries tries tries... then $hits himself with the worst case of protein poop i have ever seen or smelled... he ran out of the gym... so in a way he did something to keep the bro's away

  31. goto tshirthell.com and buy a shirt that says "sorry guys, i eat *****" ... maybe that would work

  32. Quote Originally Posted by MaynardMeek
    i posted a while ago something that happened at my gym... there was man.. large man.. over dramatic lifiting style.. would scream and throw weights down.. you know the kind... anyway.. he was doing some squats.. not too much weight for his size.. maybe 4 plates on either side... breathing heavy.. grunting.. screaming to get ready to lift.... goes under.. lifts off.. squats.. cant do it.. cant make it.. tries tries tries... then $hits himself with the worst case of protein poop i have ever seen or smelled... he ran out of the gym... so in a way he did something to keep the bro's away
    Wow..That is funny.

  33. Wow, what are you in third grade.

  34. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Wow, what are you in third grade.

    shaddup

  35. Rub some fina w/ dm** on your kneecaps and no one will come near you Or some Bengay.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by ryano
    shaddup
    Oh, I'm sorry for not promoting a poor sense of humor.

  37. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Oh, I'm sorry for not promoting a poor sense of humor.
    Now that I have some time to reflect on the aforementioned posts ...I am shocked and appalled at my colleagues twisted barbaric, heathen comments. I cannot believe I associate let alone allow myself to get caught up in this onslaught of savage, lascivious, orgy of decripit, low brow humour.

    Here is some reps for you my good man...thank you for showing me error of my wrongdoings.:

  38. Quote Originally Posted by ryano
    Now that I have some time to reflect on the aforementioned posts ...I am shocked and appalled at my colleagues twisted barbaric, heathen comments. I cannot believe I associate let alone allow myself to get caught up in this onslaught of savage, lascivious, orgy of decripit, low brow humour.

    Here is some reps for you my good man...thank you for showing me error of my wrongdoings.:


    jecko

  39. I have an idea... I've done this before, its a big hit. Here's the directions.

    Step 1. Buy a plain white hanes T-shirt that is comfortable enough to wear to the gym.

    Step 2. Get a permanent black market

    Step 3. On the front of the shirt print really big "F*ck off"

    Step 4. On the back of the shirt print really large "Cram it up your A88"

    Or you can just do what Beelz said and whip out your wee wee and start jerking off in front of them.

  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. how much do you sweat at the gym?
    By Bigcountry08 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 02:51 AM
  2. How to pick up a girl at the gym.
    By steppinRazor in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
  3. Do YOU like to be hit on at the gym?
    By Kronic in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
  4. How to pick-up girls at the Gym
    By Kam in forum General Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 06:02 PM
  5. Signs You'd Like to See Hung Up At the Gym
    By supersoldier in forum General Chat
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Log in
Log in