For anyone with half a brain....please help!

JblazeGirlie

Awards
  • Established
I have to write an essay. The question reads "With critical focus on the representational elements of Hyenas, analyze how the film engages the complex dynamics of post-colonial African social experiences."

I've watched the movie, so I can probably answer the question. BUT, i dont even know what the question is asking me! Can someone explain in dummy terms.

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I think it's asking you to analyze how the movie portrays the social situation of people in post colonial Africa and look at it from all angles.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, somewhat similar to what myweight said, basically your supposed to show/discuss the different changes in African socities after Colonialism. Talk about the differences in before and after, and how they effected the people and why they may have been significant.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The wording of the questions states "...engages complex...." I think IDunk and Myweight are right, but that term makes me think that the movie does not just mention the problem, but tackles the problem in some way, perhaps through very deliberately calling attention to the issue. The movie may offer a specific point of view w/regards to post-colonial Africa. It is hard to say much w/o having seen the film.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hyenas, analyze how the film engages the complex dynamics of post-colonial African social experiences."
Paraphrase: Examine and explain how the movie takes on the issue of complex social interactions among members of post-colonial African societies.

I'm guessing the dynamics involve class hierarchy, tribal dominance, etc.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obviously I don't meet the minimum criteria of the topic since I thought this was about how Hyenas and Africans got along in post-colonial Africa.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i think it's asking coke or pepsi.

i say coke.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
I have to write an essay. The question reads "With critical focus on the representational elements of Hyenas, analyze how the film engages the complex dynamics of post-colonial African social experiences."

Hmmm have fun with that!:blink:

rocketscientist

Awards
... it's fancy talk for a wishy-washy, catch-all instruction, meaning 'just write anything as long as it has something to do with colonial Africans' and that movie. Seriously...

o 'complex dynamics' - means 'whatever', i.e. it typically means
that something is too complicated and convoluted to
describe specifically. Or, that the writer doesn't really care
or has no idea and is trying to bail out of the subject
gracefully.

o 'engages'. Another very unspecific verb with a ton of
different meanings (look it up), but sounds good when
used with 'dynamics'.

o 'social experiences' - Anything that has in anyway to do with
interaction of people. Or, if the person in question is
isolated, with the lack of interaction with other people :)

Get it...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No but thanks for trying. Curious George books keep me entertained for hours though so it's really not your fault.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
its not a question so don't look at it that way..

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
its not a question so don't look at it that way..
Precisely. I read this instruction to be an invitation to describe HOW the movie tackled the subject, not a recitation of what the movie said aboutthe subject. Did the movie use metaphors? Intergenrational storytelling? Did you see the whole story through the eyes of one character or many? Was the story of an individual used to illustrate broad themes? Did whatever technique being used help illuminate the underlying themes or obscure them?

What kind of class is this essay for?

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Exactly right! They want you to analyze how the FILM engages the complex dynamics...not just state what the complex dynamics are.

JblazeGirlie

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for helping me figure it out guys, I think I got it now.

It's an "african cinema" class. The class has no structure what-so-ever. Theres like 3-4 kids who are genuine interested in the course, but everyone else just sits near the back and doodles while he rambles and tells stories.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for helping me figure it out guys, I think I got it now.

It's an "african cinema" class. The class has no structure what-so-ever. Theres like 3-4 kids who are genuine interested in the course, but everyone else just sits near the back and doodles while he rambles and tells stories.
Yeah, then it would seem that analyzing the cinematic techniques of the movie would be on point for this class. Best of luck to you.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why didn't you just ask me? I watched the stupid movie with you....

"complex dynamics" here just means "greed" for the most part. You could throw in a bit about revenge and hypocrisy if you really want to, but your paper should focus on greed....the way the nice, clean-living people in the village became murderous 'hyenas' over money.

"post-colonial african social experiences" is a bull**** phrase meaning "the people in the villiage"

Pay attention to the metaphors, (the elephants, the hunter, the hyenas, the single tree at the end) and what they each represent.
Hyenas=villagers, Single tree=IMF, etc.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Forgot to mention, don't forget to talk about the single asian b*tch among the 500 african villagers.

My phone should be working by tomorrow morning if u still need my help. I still can't believe you didn't ask me before posting on the forum. Next time just stab my heart with a sharp knife, it'll hurt less than being BETRAYED!! :twisted:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, so this question/essay is why I majored in chemical engineering.
:blink:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, so this question/essay is why I majored in chemical engineering.
:blink:
LOL, I went to a liberal arts college....half my undergraduate work was stuff like this.