DAVID LEE ROTH LENDS VOCALS TO VAN HALEN TRIBUTE
Strummin' with the Devil Due Out Mid March On CMH Records
(LOS ANGELES) Rock icon David Lee Roth's boundless energy has led him toward an amazing array of accomplishments, whether fronting one of America's most celebrated rock bands, achieving certification as a paramedic, becoming a world class mountain climber or replacing satellite-bound radio host Howard Stern. So the March 14, 2006 release of Strummin with the Devil, the bluegrass tribute to the band he helped make famous, should come as no surprise.
Perhaps the most influential American band in rock history, Van Halen exploded out of Los Angeles in the late 1970s. Their rapid, multi-platinum success was fueled by Eddie Van Halen's groundbreaking guitar playing and Roth's unbridled showmanship part Robert Plant and part Radio City Rockette.
To honor Van Halen's seminal achievements, CMH Records has brought together the nation's top bluegrass musicians including John Jorgenson, David Grisman, BlueHIghway, Nashville Bluegrass Band and others to perform trailblazing VH hits including "And the Cradle Will Rock…," "Runnin' with the Devil" and "Panama." And Diamond Dave himself gives voice to two of the album's cuts.
"My roots were always kind of country," Roth explains in the liner notes. "Not the same country as my first band. Their flag had windmills. Mine had a BBQ pit and a shot glass."
Roth, originally from Indiana, gives voice to "Jump" and "Jamie's Cryin'," while world-class instrumentalists rip through some of rock's most beloved guitar riffs.
01) Jump by David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
02) I'll Wait by Blue Highway
03) Runnin’ with the Devil by the John Cowan Band
04) Dance the Night Away by Mountain Heart
05) Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love by Iron Horse
06) Hot for Teacher by David Grisman and Sons
07) Feel Your Love Tonight by Tony Trischka, Dudley Connell, Marshall Wilborn, Dave McLaughlin
08) Panama by Cornbread Red
09) Jamie’s Cryin’ by David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band (Full Version)
10) Unchained by Iron Horse
11) Ice Cream Man by Larry Cordle
12) And the Cradle Will Rock… by the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
13) Could this be Magic? by the Nashville Bluegrass Band
14) Jamie's Cryin' by David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band (Radio Edit)
15) Eruption by Dennis Caplinger