What do you tell your doctor?

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I went to a new dermatologist on Wednesday to get better treatment for my horrid acne. The nurse practitioner asked me a bunch fo standard questions and I gave her background info about my recent bodybuilding contest etc. I left out any info about certain less than legal compounds I was taking.

When the doctor came in, like the second question he asked was "have you taken or are you taking any anabolic steroids?" WOW, that was awkward. In a split second my brain mulled over the question of, do I tell him the truth in the hope that it will better help him come up with a solution, or do I lie to avoid the risk he puts it on my chart and ####s me up with my health insurance company?

I opted to lie and say "No." I even added to it by saying "That's probably why I didn't do all that well in my competition." So I guess I lied twice, since I did make top 5 in a very tough competition.

My other reasoning for not telling him, was that since I didn't know him, I figured he'd likely just stand on a soapbox or something going into the "dangers" of AAS (the crap most doctors believe that's been fed to them by the establishment).

Anyway, I was just wondering what you folks do in that situation? Do you tell your doc or not? This is a brand new doctor for me so I felt really uncomfortable divulging that kind of info immediately.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Wow! Talk about being put on the spot! Dam, Im not sure what I would do. I probably would have done pretty much what you did, and lied. I dont think I could come out and tell a doctor that I use AAS, even though doctors are supposed to keep patient related matters confidential.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
tell them nothing. it would serve no purpose to tell them of your AAS usage. it would only hurt and never help.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
No way, never say anything about that. without a doubt it would have been written in that folder and kept in your file. not a good idea for something illegal.

congrats on your comp finish btw.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
tell them nothing. it would serve no purpose to tell them of your anabolic steroids usage. it would only hurt and never help.
Good to know I made the right choice. I couldn't really in my mind think of any actual differences it would make with respect to his recommended treatment; it was only kind of an offhand chance type fo thing.

I'm glad I told him no though. Because if he DID put it on my chart as an existing condition or a previous condition or something like that (i.e. "has used AAS") then my insurance company would really hose me for it. While it's through the company I almost worry they would refuse coverage or something. I've seen insurance companies do that in cases of drug abuse. Oddly enough, it is more common when the person is abusing prescription meds rather than flat out illegal narcotics like coke or meth.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well being that you do not know the doc, say nothing, because if you do not have life insurance, the medical records will follow, and they can and will deny you further coverage.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^Exactly. Only if you find yourself in a medical situation that may make recovery or living an option, would I say anything.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
or do I lie to avoid the risk he puts it on my chart and ####s me up with my health insurance company?
I think you did the right thing.

First off, based on my in-depth research of watching Grey's Anatomy, it appears that patients lie all the time to their doctors about everything. "Are you still smoking? Still drinking? Cutting out sugars? Exercising? etc. So I don't see this so much as a lie, but more of a standard precaution.

So much so that, at least according to the show, all the doctors are told to "assume" each and every patient is lying all the time when asked these types of questions. Judging by your size, the Dr. may just typically assume you did juice anyway, and evaluate you accordingly. But there is a difference between their internal belief and the patient admitting something.

More importantly, if it ever does appear on any of your medical records, who knows what ramifications it can have in the future? Let's say 5 years from now you get gyno and want surgery. Pretty slim chance of saying you had it since puberty if "steroid use" is in your file, etc.

Plus, doctors are not the only ones that do see your chart - other admin type people may see it too. It's a small world, and you just never know who knows.

If you're dying, and that's information they can use to save your life, that's different. But if it's just acne, then all I can think of is the tribulus and fish oil that you took... Maybe it was the cre-a-tine?:thumbsup:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Maybe it was the cre-a-tine?:thumbsup:
He asked how much protein I eat. I told him the truth there and said that during my contest prep it got up to as high as 400 grams per day.

tattoopierced1

best to leave them in the dark about it. sounds like you made the right choice, i'd be frightened to see what a Dr. does if you admit to it...i'd be worried about insurance carrying me.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Btw, as far as lying and the doctor assuming I'm lying, I think that's actually ok.

You see, he can't write it in my chart if I didn't admit to it and he has no proof; he could be sued. However, he can keep it in his mind and treat me appropriately. Thus, I kinda get the best of both worlds there. No record of it, but get treatment that takes it into account.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My doc thinks creatine is the cause of all that's evil in the world.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So did my doctor, that is why she is not my doc any more.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
You made the right choice Null, just can't trust people with the steroid witchunts going on.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I "think", and perhaps someone can correct me, that medical records are no longer confidential due to some recent legislation..the feds can poke through them.

Other than major choleostatic liver shock, I can not see a condition where one would need to disclose their AAS use. Even then, it's not like there is a specific AAS overdose antidote and it's pretty obvious that if you were that sick YOU would discontinue use immediately. But that's what we strive to prevent by being knowledgable now isn't it? :study:

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was put in a similar situation when I had my leg surgery. It was two weeks after I got off test e. The nurse taking my info about 2 hours before surgery asked if I used steroids. As a reaction I popped of no, never. Then I freaked out wondering if it was going to effect me in surgery. The only problem I had was my blood pressure in the middle of surgery went to 189/50. :blink: And they could not get it down even with pain killers. After I ate and had some water it went down to 150/70. Scary ****.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I was put in a similar situation when I had my leg surgery. It was two weeks after I got off test e. The nurse taking my info about 2 hours before surgery asked if I used steroids. As a reaction I popped of no, never. Then I freaked out wondering if it was going to effect me in surgery. The only problem I had was my blood pressure in the middle of surgery went to 189/50. :blink: And they could not get it down even with pain killers. After I ate and had some water it went down to 150/70. Scary ****.
Glad the leg is better max :)
I agree dont tell them, I once told my Dr all the suppliments i was taking, ONCE and although never having done steroids I got the biggest lecture of my life.,....it was annoying...So since than it's been, I take a vit C tablet which is the truth..:) I just omit the rest

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I got a stern lecture for taking coleus, green tea, using whey protein, and then he went on about "these guys using andro..they puff up and then their nuts shrink down to nothing. Next thing you know, they have prostate or testicular cancer!"

Oi.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I got a stern lecture for taking coleus, green tea, using whey protein, and then he went on about "these guys using andro..they puff up and then their nuts shrink down to nothing. Next thing you know, they have prostate or testicular cancer!"
What did they say about the green tea use? One thing I notice about some docs is that they have a real aversion to any type of supplement that makes you feel or perform better. Its like all their concerned about is if you can eat/sleep/****/work properly, etc - they dont care about peak performance and how important that is to you as a health and fitness conscious individual.

BV

VitaminT

Awards
Its bad enough with stuff you can sort-of admit to. My gyno surgeon read me the riot act that I should never smoke pot because it causes gyno. I don't know where my gyno came from, but honestly it had nothing to do with smoking pot, because I don't smoke! Not that I'd suggest admitting to regular smoking, but for a lot of people that only tried it a couple of times, I don't see how a reasonable person would make a big deal out of it and suggest that was the cause.

Keep it safe.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Its sad when you cant seek help from a doc with out being in fear or getting in trouble for putting something in YOUR body.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Its bad enough with stuff you can sort-of admit to. My gyno surgeon read me the riot act that I should never smoke pot because it causes gyno. I don't know where my gyno came from, but honestly it had nothing to do with smoking pot, because I don't smoke! Not that I'd suggest admitting to regular smoking, but for a lot of people that only tried it a couple of times, I don't see how a reasonable person would make a big deal out of it and suggest that was the cause.
The 'marijuana causes gyno' BS is one of the most absurd lines Ive heard. Surprising an MD would believe that. Causing uncontrollable urges to eat junk food, that over time could result in chest fat, that makes a lot more sense.

BV

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
What do you tell your doctor when you take a pre/post cycle blood tests?

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
What do you tell your doctor when you take a pre/post cycle blood tests?
I would just tell him that you're interested in seeing how your cholesterol levels are, testoserone, etc. If you check one of the stickies, you can get a blood draw from a clinic and not have to even see your doctor if you wish to keep your use secret. It's up to you, I would just say that I want to see what my basal levels were at and then go back a month or so later and tell him you made some changes to diet and such and wanted to see how much progress you made.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
BV - He was just antisupplement and said I should just drink green tea because we know more about that than taking an extract that has 100 cups of tea in it. That one was kinda reasonable, but he is more of a diet purist and thinks most supps should be avoided.

I'll be getting a new doc eventually, lol. Fortunately, I hardly ever need one because I believe in alt medicine. My doc was a battlefield surgeon in Nam. I'd definitely seek him out if I got hit by a truck. Internal medicine..eeh, notsomuch.