Strength Loss ;( - AnabolicMinds.com

Strength Loss ;(

  1. New Member
    theshocker21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Strength Loss ;(


    I hate to use bench press as a "benchmark" for my frusteration but let me explain....

    Through the end of last year I had awesome gains in strength rather constantly. My weight was roughly 210 and I was about 15-16%bf . I could go through this routine without any help at all.

    255-5x
    265-4x
    275-3x
    285-2x

    I could get to the top of the pyramid with no help at all. It was really easy actually.

    After I went on an all out cut on the 1st of the year I dropped 210 to 183 at my lowest point. This included low intensity training on an empty stomach in the morning and low intensity training prior to working out in the evening. Along with low carb days and high carb days.

    I have now leveled out at 194 as of right now and happy with how I look but I am weak compared to what I used to be.

    Today was bench day and I tried to revisit the old pyramid with much frusteration

    255-3x and then my face was turning red on the fourth and the guy at the gym had to help me.

    I mean, I don't visually appear to have lost any muscle but my strength is in the toilet on all my lifts.

    Any ideas if my strength will rebound back with muscle memory or what am I in for?

  2. Senior Member
    LCSULLA's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,759
    Rep Power
    1021

    Reputation

    Welcome to the battle. Alomst everybody has this happen to them. And this will almost always happens, unless your diet and training on spot on or your on some AAS/PS.
  3. New Member
    theshocker21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by LCSULLA
    Welcome to the battle. Alomst everybody has this happen to them. And this will almost always happens, unless your diet and training on spot on or your on some AAS/PS.
    Thanks, makes me feel like I'm not the only one.

    BTW, I forgot to mention. I have never used any AAS/PS
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    LCSULLA's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,759
    Rep Power
    1021

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by theshocker21
    Thanks, makes me feel like I'm not the only one.

    BTW, I forgot to mention. I have never used any AAS/PS
    No prob. And welcome to the board.
  5. Registered User
    rocketscientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    46
    Posts
    227
    Rep Power
    217

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by theshocker21
    After I went on an all out cut on the 1st of the year I dropped 210 to 183 at my lowest point. This included low intensity training on an empty stomach in the morning and low intensity training prior to working out in the evening. Along with low carb days and high carb days...
    How did you work out during your cut? Your pyramid is kind of in the low rep range and if you stayed away from this type of exercise during the last 3-4 months, that would certainly amplify your 'loss in strength' (as like not being able to lift as much weight).

    How do your other workouts compare?
  6. New Member
    theshocker21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketscientist
    How did you work out during your cut? Your pyramid is kind of in the low rep range and if you stayed away from this type of exercise during the last 3-4 months, that would certainly amplify your 'loss in strength' (as like not being able to lift as much weight).

    How do your other workouts compare?
    I did alot of volume training during the cut. You know, high reps for almost everything.
  7. Board Supporter
    Rage (SoCal)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,928
    Rep Power
    1076

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by theshocker21
    I did alot of volume training during the cut. You know, high reps for almost everything.
    I hear thats great if you don't want to preserve LBM.

    I can relate though, I hit the same battle, when I'm strong I don't like how I look as much in comparison to when I'm leaner but not as strong.

    Keep at it.
  8. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27395

    Reputation

    Yup. Strong and fat or ripped and weak. Story of my life!
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  9. Registered User
    rocketscientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    46
    Posts
    227
    Rep Power
    217

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by theshocker21
    I did alot of volume training during the cut. You know, high reps for almost everything.
    I'd guess that even if you had not cut, you would have lost some strength that way. Your performance in the very low rep range has a lot to do with your ability to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible at one time. If you train exclusively in the high rep range you unlearn that somewhat. Of course that doesn't account for everything, but throwing in a few low rep sets can help preserve some of the strength.
  10. Registered User
    rocketscientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    46
    Posts
    227
    Rep Power
    217

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Yup. Strong and fat or ripped and weak. Story of my life!
    I'm shrinking and getting weaker as we speak... almost wants me to be fat again. I think we're all nutcases...
    Anyone know of a scientific study on this.
  11. Registered User
    Ubiquitous's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,462
    Rep Power
    1848

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Yup. Strong and fat or ripped and weak. Story of my life!
    You're god d^mn right...
  12. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,328
    Rep Power
    13067

    Reputation

    Have you tried drop sets ? It may just help you keep a lot of your strength while shredding but you will be one exhausted mothereffer after every workout.
  13. New Member
    theshocker21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Have you tried drop sets ? It may just help you keep a lot of your strength while shredding but you will be one exhausted mothereffer after every workout.
    Drop sets sounds like a good idea. I want to stay pretty lean for the summer. I will be going on vacation everywhere and I dont want to be a fatty.
  14. New Member
    Spartan117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    194

    Reputation

    Shocker, same thing happened to me. I got down to 185-189. Lost all my strength. It was nearly embarassing in the gym. Funny thing is I get more compliments now at 225 with some fat than I did then. Some people actually thought I was sick. Since being on this site I understand alot more about how important diet is and it has really helped me.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Strength Loss During Cutting
    By noviceiron in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 01:23 AM
  2. Strength loss post cycle
    By gabber in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
  3. Losing Muscle Or Teporary Size/strength Loss
    By pheraflex in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 04:47 AM
  4. fatloss equal strength loss?
    By luggnut in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 04:57 PM
  5. Is strength loss inevitable when cutting?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 11:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in