Strength Loss ;(

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I hate to use bench press as a "benchmark" for my frusteration but let me explain....

Through the end of last year I had awesome gains in strength rather constantly. My weight was roughly 210 and I was about 15-16%bf:burger: . I could go through this routine without any help at all.

255-5x
265-4x
275-3x
285-2x

I could get to the top of the pyramid with no help at all. It was really easy actually.

After I went on an all out cut on the 1st of the year I dropped 210 to 183 at my lowest point. This included low intensity training on an empty stomach in the morning and low intensity training prior to working out in the evening. Along with low carb days and high carb days.

I have now leveled out at 194 as of right now and happy with how I look but I am weak compared to what I used to be.

Today was bench day and I tried to revisit the old pyramid with much frusteration

255-3x and then my face was turning red on the fourth and the guy at the gym had to help me.

I mean, I don't visually appear to have lost any muscle but my strength is in the toilet on all my lifts.

Any ideas if my strength will rebound back with muscle memory or what am I in for?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the battle. Alomst everybody has this happen to them. And this will almost always happens, unless your diet and training on spot on or your on some AAS/PS.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the battle. Alomst everybody has this happen to them. And this will almost always happens, unless your diet and training on spot on or your on some AAS/PS.
Thanks, makes me feel like I'm not the only one.

BTW, I forgot to mention. I have never used any AAS/PS

rocketscientist

Awards
After I went on an all out cut on the 1st of the year I dropped 210 to 183 at my lowest point. This included low intensity training on an empty stomach in the morning and low intensity training prior to working out in the evening. Along with low carb days and high carb days...
How did you work out during your cut? Your pyramid is kind of in the low rep range and if you stayed away from this type of exercise during the last 3-4 months, that would certainly amplify your 'loss in strength' (as like not being able to lift as much weight).

How do your other workouts compare?

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
How did you work out during your cut? Your pyramid is kind of in the low rep range and if you stayed away from this type of exercise during the last 3-4 months, that would certainly amplify your 'loss in strength' (as like not being able to lift as much weight).

How do your other workouts compare?
I did alot of volume training during the cut. You know, high reps for almost everything.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I did alot of volume training during the cut. You know, high reps for almost everything.
I hear thats great if you don't want to preserve LBM.

I can relate though, I hit the same battle, when I'm strong I don't like how I look as much in comparison to when I'm leaner but not as strong.

Keep at it.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Yup. Strong and fat or ripped and weak. Story of my life! :D

rocketscientist

Awards
I'd guess that even if you had not cut, you would have lost some strength that way. Your performance in the very low rep range has a lot to do with your ability to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible at one time. If you train exclusively in the high rep range you unlearn that somewhat. Of course that doesn't account for everything, but throwing in a few low rep sets can help preserve some of the strength.

rocketscientist

Awards
Yup. Strong and fat or ripped and weak. Story of my life! :D
I'm shrinking and getting weaker as we speak... almost wants me to be fat again. I think we're all nutcases... :D
Anyone know of a scientific study on this.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried drop sets ? It may just help you keep a lot of your strength while shredding but you will be one exhausted mothereffer after every workout.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried drop sets ? It may just help you keep a lot of your strength while shredding but you will be one exhausted mothereffer after every workout.
Drop sets sounds like a good idea. I want to stay pretty lean for the summer. I will be going on vacation everywhere and I dont want to be a fatty. :burger: :burger: :burger:

Spartan117

Awards
Shocker, same thing happened to me. I got down to 185-189. Lost all my strength. It was nearly embarassing in the gym. Funny thing is I get more compliments now at 225 with some fat than I did then. Some people actually thought I was sick. Since being on this site I understand alot more about how important diet is and it has really helped me.