Job application process question?

Spartan117

Awards
Since there seems to be diverse and knowledgable group on this site, I thought I'd ask you guys. I am beginning an employment application process for a company and the first step requires me to take a 12 question culture fit test. The test is timed(60 minutes) and covers a case study that they will provide. My contact person told me that there is no way to prepare, but my question is what is a culture fit test and what can I expect? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Later.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like something on diversity. Which is an old wooden ship.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Since there seems to be diverse and knowledgable group on this site, I thought I'd ask you guys. I am beginning an employment application process for a company and the first step requires me to take a 12 question culture fit test. The test is timed(60 minutes) and covers a case study that they will provide. My contact person told me that there is no way to prepare, but my question is what is a culture fit test and what can I expect? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Later.
Probably measures two things: cultural 'sensitivity' and how well you'd fit into their environment. I was skeptical about these tests too, until I started working for my current company. Most of the hiring process isn't geared towards getting good employees, it's geared towards weeding out bad ones. A bunch of mediocre employees isn't a bad thing, but one bad employee can screw a company. These tests and other similar ones are remarkably good at weeding out the bad bets you might not catch in a interview.

Basically all it takes is common sense, unless you have some severe mental problems you should not worry about it. If in doubt, give the answer that sounds the best, the one you think they want to hear. Chances are that's the right one. In part that's what the tests measure, your ability to realize what you would want to do doesn't always match what you should do.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I am wondering the same thing too?

Basically all they are doing is finding out what kind of character you are and communication styles. If you can't work well with certain individuals, then maybe the job isn't for you. Wrong hires can cause them three times the annual salary and cause irreparable damage.
Here's an example of a wrong hire:
Singh cites the example is the example of a manufacturing organisation, where the average age of people was 35 years and they were rigid and stagnant in their style of working. The management hired an achiever from the sofware industry(which was at a boom then), to introduce a new style in keeping up with the times. He was known to have introduced drastic changes in the software companies he had worked with. He was very aggressive in his working style and had also also worked in the manufacturing industry earlier. The organisation had not checked the "culture fit" of the individual. He took charge as head of operations and started introducing major changes. It led to alot of opposition, which ultimately production and he was asked to leave.

Last edited:

Spartan117

Awards
CDB, thanks. That is what I figured. I've also noticed that if you really pay attention to how the questions are worded, there seems to be certain things that they are looking for, you just have to be aware enough to catch on. I'll take it and let ya'll know if I make it the next step.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
CDB, thanks. That is what I figured. I've also noticed that if you really pay attention to how the questions are worded, there seems to be certain things that they are looking for, you just have to be aware enough to catch on. I'll take it and let ya'll know if I make it the next step.
You can apply this concept to Jeopardy and impress your friends. I'm not kidding either. Jeopardy always seems to have something in the wording of the answer that, with a little general knowledge of the subject at hand, can help you logically deduce the question.

Spartan117

Awards
Achilles, thanks, I read that stat about a bad employee costing three times over somewhere also. I've worked with plenty of bums so I'm sure there is truth to that. Hopefully I won't cost them much more than about 2 times over, lol.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
"Bad" is a contextual consideration, a "bad" fit for the culture of a particular place does'nt mean that you're ineffective, on the contrary, many alpha male/tribal leader types are very good workers, and considered bad fits in today's corporate culture.

Any test like this can be faked if you answer universally as the desired type, the bigger question is do you want to?

Spartan117

Awards
Thanks for the input. I took the test this morning. It was difficult to answer 16 questions in an hour. The questions were trying to get you to think strategically and also in a team work oriented manner. They also were trying to determine your communication style. I don't know how it went. Guess I'll find out Mon.