ESPN.com steroid article

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
"Purists howl about Bonds' alleged drug use. No one says a word about his padded arm protector, a plate-crowding advantage that other hitters don't enjoy. Babe Ruth smacked 714 home runs without having to face African-American pitchers. The New York Yankees can afford more talent than the Kansas City Royals. Team Germany has better bobsled gear than Team Jamaica."

"Everybody ought to be able to use the same tools," Sullum said. "But I don't see what is different in principle between steroids and anything else artificial we do to change our abilities, be it working out, diet, the various medicines people take to recover from injuries."

"There are things that are appropriate for adults that aren't appropriate for children," Sullum said. "I guess athletes shouldn't be driving cars, either."

I like the article. It's good to hear a different point of view every once in a while. I'm still not sure where I personally stand on the issue of gear and professional sport, but like the article said, there for every argument against the use, there is an argument for it.

GOOD FIND.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
"Some say steroids are a distasteful shortcut. Not so.

"They actually allow athletes to work harder and more effectively, much like a good strength coach."

Finally someone gets the concept. I get so tired of that easy short cut ****.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
That was a good arcticle, unfortunately it only made Page 2, which usually isn't taken seriously.

I'd like to see an arcticle with a subjective point of view like that make the regular ESPN section.
I'd like to see one on CNN

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Who has done more psychological damage to the youth of America? A few buffed-up sluggers? Or scores of waifish supermodels, driving teenage girls to anorexia and their mothers to the nearest plastic surgeon?
:study:
Besides, even if a kid takes steroids because he idolizes Bonds, that doesn't mean Bonds should have to refrain. The man can smoke. He can patronize a strip club. He can vote, pay taxes, see an R-rated movie.
"There are things that are appropriate for adults that aren't appropriate for children," Sullum said. "I guess athletes shouldn't be driving cars, either."
:toofunny:

This guy actually sounds a bit like John Romano from MD. I don't watch sports, but he claims baseball was pretty lame once the scrutiny intensified. If so, this may be a first stride by ESPN to try to reinvigorate a fading game. The media may tremble the notion of a danger to our youth, but they are petrified at the thought of declining profits.

davhern

Awards
Very good article. I read it the other day. Too bad it's on Page 2, though. Usually, that part is reserved for satire.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
This guy actually sounds a bit like John Romano from MD. I don't watch sports, but he claims baseball was pretty lame once the scrutiny intensified. If so, this may be a first stride by ESPN to try to reinvigorate a fading game. The media may tremble the notion of a danger to our youth, but they are petrified at the thought of declining profits.
If you mean Sullum, I think he's a regular writer for Reason Magazine. He's written lots of articles along these lines for the print and online version. The ESPN writer, it's my first time reading anything by him.

YonkersCBR954

Banned
Awards
good article... very nice to see a different point of view ...and made some excellent points ...

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Yeh... Nice! The pendulum is swinging back, I guess...