Steroid "rage" may be lasting, but reversible

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Anabolic steroid users may behave aggressively for a long time after stopping the drug, but the behavior -- and some of the brain changes linked to it -- may be reversible, animal research suggests.
ADVERTISEMENT

In an experiment with teenage hamsters given anabolic steroids, scientists found that the animals continued to chase and bite their brethren for days during withdrawal from the muscle-building hormones.

At the same time, activity in the brain's vasopressin system, which is linked to aggression, was elevated in the steroid-treated hamsters.

After a couple weeks, however, both vasopressin activity and aggression subsided -- suggesting, the researchers say, that teenagers' use of anabolic steroids may have lasting but reversible effects on behavior and the vasopressin system.

But that doesn't mean that anabolic steroids aren't so bad after all, stressed lead study author Dr. Richard H. Melloni Jr. of Northeastern University in Boston.

"The promising part of the study is that it suggests (the aggression) will go away over time," he told Reuters Health. But the "disturbing part," he added, is that it could take a good while.

The hamsters Melloni's team studied went back to normal by day 19 of steroid withdrawal, according to findings published in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience. In human teenagers, that could translate to more than two years.

What's more, although the hamsters' vasopressin systems also went back to normal, Melloni said he and his colleagues have evidence from separate research that other brain systems affected by steroids may not recover.

Namely, he explained, steroid abuse may hinder the development of the serotonin system, which suppresses aggression. So at a time when the young brain is still taking shape, teenage steroid users may enhance the development of the brain's aggression center while suppressing the maturation of its calming center.

In the latter case, the damage might be permanent, Melloni said. He noted that depression, which involves serotonin deficits, is a common problem seen during steroid withdrawal.

Melloni said he hopes research like this gets the message out that anabolic steroids affect not only muscle and performance, but the brain and behavior as well.

Many teenagers may be focused on getting stronger or running faster, he said, "but is that worth changing the development of your brain?"

SOURCE: Behavioral Neuroscience, February 2006.

Brennon

Awards
And research on HUMANS suggests that there is no such 'roid rage'.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The teenage brain is indeed, very open to large scale shifts induced by chemicals, drugs and alcohol. I see no reason why it would be different for androgens.

This study merely touches on some possibilities since it is an animal trial however, since there substantial evidence that teen AAS is detrimental and in lieu of our policy against teen steroid use, I'm not going to dismiss this study as "govt bull****" just yet.

hawkeyes56

Awards
teenage hamsters? what would that be in people years?:wtf:

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Its us damn teenagers rouining it for everyone again :icon_lol:

I have known 3 people who I know for a fact were on steroids. 2 of them are some of the nicest people I know, and nothing changed while they were on juice. The other one was an ass before/durring/after roids, so nothing changed (funny, I saw him put his head throught a plaster wall after arguing with his gf on the phone) :rofl:

PastorofMuppets

Awards
What is interesting is that the "withdrawl" is in days/weeks.

Makes one wonder if the suppression is causing moodiness.

Of course the researchers did not bother to measure blood hormone levels to get more information though.