A scary evolution with pharmaceuticals and kids

R

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've heard about this here and there. I have an e-buddy who talks about getting and giving his friends Xanax and irresponsible use that follows such behavior.

I've also heard about Pharm-parties that kids/young adults have that include every type of pharmaceutical grade drug that you can think of and other illegal drugs. Crazy thing is these kids mix them together and also mix them with alcohol. Mixing these types of alcohol is very popular amongst kids, especially Xanax.

Well, tonight I was down at my best buddies place and his cousin came over, whom I'm also friends with. His cousin is a stoner and that's all fine and dandy because for the most part, people who smoke weed never really inflict harm on themselves from smoking weed aside from the increase estrogen production, increased paranoia after abuse, etc.

As he walked up I knew something else was going on. I had a feeling it may have been something along the lines of being pharmaceuticals. Turns out him and his friend were on numerous bars of Xanax also referred to as Z(x)anies. These kids seemed extremely intoxicated and sadly enough the cousin's friend was mixing with alcohol.

I talked to him and asked him what he gets and he started naming off a bunch of **** which included but not limited to: Xanax, Oxycoton, Vikaden, Ecstasy, etc.

Sad thing is both of these kids (ages 20) knew nothing behind the chemistry or effects of these drugs on a level of deeper understanding, as I'm sure most of them do not. The only thing there are concerned with is that these things get you high in one way or another.

Holy crap is this scary!!!! These young people just screwing around with these drugs and not giving serious consideration about the effects of these drugs, it is absolutely nuts. Down right crazy.

Now I know this is nothing new but I do believe that it is a recent epidemic that is on the rise.

I'm also sure there is also plenty of documented ODs on these drugs. It is unfortunate that more people aren't like people on this board. People who do research and gather understanding of certain things before even considering their usage. It is sad.....

I just wanted to vent some.

S

scoher

Awards
I agree it is sad and scary, but I don't think more research would make much of a dent with these kids. Most people, particularly teens and 20 somethings, have a flock mentality and are going to do whatever they think will make them fit in. We are bombarded with the harmful effects of tobacco and alcohol from elementry school through highschool, yet a number of kids start drinking and smoking at an early age because it is "kewl."

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, I teach preschool and part of my job is to educate the parents on any topic, drugs, drinking,smoking....I have 2 familes this year that get xanax, sell it at street value, to ANYONE and keep doing this..Makes me sick....I know but becuase I am also the social worker for 12 familes, so homevisits, being in contact with dcyf, and just seeing the houses.....It's so sad.

Last years issues was cheating on your wife/husband, I think I can handle that better....no wonder the kids I teach dont have a shot in hell

D

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I'm not looking to kick a dead horse, but I just left one thread that I seemed to be one of the only ones condemning the use/sale of drugs. I was told that it is "none of our business" what people do as long as they are not hurting anyone else or their property. I vehemently disagree. As a LEO, I see these kids everyday. And it is only getting worse. The war on drugs must start at home at an early age. If the parent is a user, then the child is almost certainly destined to become one also. You emulate your hero's, who most of the time are your father and mother. (unless of course they are useless POS's that only are concerned where their next buzz will come from, and have ignored your needs and wants during most of your childhood, and even still, the children tend to be like them)
So regardless of what some think, I'll continue to fight the war, one day at a time. Took a couple of punks to jail last night for (running a stop sign, no drivers license, possession of crack cocaine).....and guess what? They hadn't hurt anyone.............yet. And they won't. Tonight, anyway.

R

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm with you guys all the way.

Delta, is sounds like your in the perfect position to make a direct impact, most of them are not.

These people don't understand the effects/dangers they have because they just don't know and you know what, you are probably right, if they did, they would probably still do them.

My guess is that this is only going to get worse. I hope it doesn't bring any more attention to our group.

This will take a strong effort to stop.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
When your young you are immortal.
In high school to drop a Lude(Qualude- Lemon 714) or take a couple V`s(Valium) or Tuies(Tuinals) before class was nothing.

The crasiest thing was people took a combo called sets. 4- Tylenol 4`s and a Super Strong Hypnotic. I don`t remember the name but I bet not many have heard of this monster anyhow. I knew 2(in thier teens) people personaly that died as a result of SETS and drinking. Not me, wouldn`t touch them.

D

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you guys all the way.

Delta, is sounds like your in the perfect position to make a direct impact, most of them are not.

These people don't understand the effects/dangers they have because they just don't know and you know what, you are probably right, if they did, they would probably still do them.

My guess is that this is only going to get worse. I hope it doesn't bring any more attention to our group.

This will take a strong effort to stop.
The sad part is that the all the laws have to be enforced in order for the system to work. The laws against steroids are, IMO pretty stupid. If you are not in competition and you are educated in the proper use and follow up, then you should be able to use these types of drugs. But because the laws group all drugs in general classifications, (level 1,2, & 3)the law enforcement community has no choice but to enforce them all. When I've had this "discussion" before here, I get bashed for not enforcing just the laws that some individuals think are worthy, and ignoring the rest. It's not that easy. An adult with a job who works out regularly, sticks to a healthy diet and does a cycle of say, test/dbol, to get himself jump started to where he wants to be physically, is much different than the guy who sits around does xannies and drinks all weekend. But they are both breaking the law. And I wouldn't want anyone under 21 doing the gear, and anyone doing the later.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Here's the thread for anyone interested in it. Delta's characterization of its content is off in my opinion, but any further debate on it belongs in that thread.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/politics/40479-conservative-nonsense-war-drugs.html

I'm not looking to kick a dead horse, but I just left one thread that I seemed to be one of the only ones condemning the use/sale of drugs. I was told that it is "none of our business" what people do as long as they are not hurting anyone else or their property. I vehemently disagree. As a LEO, I see these kids everyday. And it is only getting worse. The war on drugs must start at home at an early age. If the parent is a user, then the child is almost certainly destined to become one also. You emulate your hero's, who most of the time are your father and mother. (unless of course they are useless POS's that only are concerned where their next buzz will come from, and have ignored your needs and wants during most of your childhood, and even still, the children tend to be like them)
So regardless of what some think, I'll continue to fight the war, one day at a time. Took a couple of punks to jail last night for (running a stop sign, no drivers license, possession of crack cocaine).....and guess what? They hadn't hurt anyone.............yet. And they won't. Tonight, anyway.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
When your young you are immortal.
In high school to drop a Lude(Qualude- Lemon 714) or take a couple V`s(Valium) or Tuies(Tuinals) before class was nothing.

The crasiest thing was people took a combo called sets. 4- Tylenol 4`s and a Super Strong Hypnotic. I don`t remember the name but I bet not many have heard of this monster anyhow. I knew 2(in thier teens) people personaly that died as a result of SETS and drinking. Not me, wouldn`t touch them.
Yo EE, Thanks for the memories.
...Philly in the 80's..ah I remember it well...thank heaven for little girls...I think part of my tooth is still somewhere in the Trocadero!!!

I think we used to call those hypnos Christmas Trees...much safer than then PCP laced Crank!! that stuff was for squares(hahaha)

R

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Damn...I guess I was a pretty damn good kid. Other than having my buddy illegally buy Bud Lights.

:woohoo:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I teach high school at a pretty good school and even then we have had PARENTS who have sold Ritalin near campus to other students. Unfortunately, some people don't give a crap about anything

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I teach high school at a pretty good school and even then we have had PARENTS who have sold Ritalin near campus to other students. Unfortunately, some people don't give a crap about anything
It really doesn't matter with whom or where and when "kids" use drugs. I think it is really a symptom of wanting to find a group to form bonds. The "drug" crowd takes all kinds of cliques, you just need to be cool enough to open you mouth and take the drugs. There really are no other qualifications.

Although my highschool was filled with drugs, there were no drug related deaths. There were three kids who died experimenting with home made alcohol. " ...that shine will blind you boy!"

There will always be kids who experiment, but I think the rampant use is from lack of acceptance from other peer groups. Kids just trying to find a place where they fit.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah a lot of these dumbass kids think that taking pills isn't as harsh as drinking alcohol. A lot of them told me they do it because of this reason or because it is so much faster than a long night of drinking. They don't realize the liver/heart effects that come along with these types of drugs.

The other day a buddy of mine took an adderall because he had a test the next day and absolutely had to pass it. Now don't get me wrong I took an adderall last fall during exam week and got more done than I have EVER gotten done but this could had just drank an energy drink, he had a pinch of dip in his mouth, took an extended release adderall, and I believe they were smoking the hookah later that day. Next thing you know he is lying on the couch FREAKED out that is heart was beating fast. I took his HR and low and behold it was about 165 or so which is insane for someone just sitting there. I tried calming him down but it was literally impossible and he went to the hospital later that day.

These drugs are no different from AAS in many respects. If you aren't a doctor than you realllllly need to know your **** before you start mixing and matching etc. and even then it isn't advisable.

Chewster

Chewster

Awards
i find it funny someone can enforce laws other people may feel in their opinion are unjust, however openly approve the use of other hings that are illegal. Im not flamin just saying I strive to never be a hypocrite.

R

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i find it funny someone can enforce laws other people may feel in their opinion are unjust, however openly approve the use of other hings that are illegal. Im not flamin just saying I strive to never be a hypocrite.
For me, its more of the irresponsibility and stupidity involved.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
There will always be kids who experiment, but I think the rampant use is from lack of acceptance from other peer groups. Kids just trying to find a place where they fit.
True, but there are not enough interventions being done by public schools to help these kid. I think they could do more to help these kids. I as a professional can not tolerate drugs in my work environment, be it from faculty members or students. Those kids you speak of are at risk kids, and they're at risk for many other things besides drug use. They're at risk of being teenage parents, gang members, or be involved in other criminal activity. It should be mandatory for these kids to be involves in team sports or other after school activities. Most of the kids who get in trouble commit their dirty deeds between 3-6 pm, which is the time they could be involved in these activities.

D

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I don't really understand what you are saying. Please elaborate.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with Delta, but he's not a hypocrite in that sense. He'd still enforce steroid laws, and I remember him saying he doesn't use himself. He thinks the law should be changed regarding steroids and I believe marijuana. So while I guess you could say he'd rather not enforce the laws, he will until they're changed. I wouldn't say that is hypocritical. It's a position I personally disagree with, but it is consistent in its own context.

D

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with Delta, but he's not a hypocrite in that sense. He'd still enforce steroid laws, and I remember him saying he doesn't use himself. He thinks the law should be changed regarding steroids and I believe marijuana. So while I guess you could say he'd rather not enforce the laws, he will until they're changed. I wouldn't say that is hypocritical. It's a position I personally disagree with, but it is consistent in its own context.
Thanks, I couldn't have said it better, (or clearer) myself.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, some kid just got expelled for snorting a Vicodon(sp?) in gym class at my school.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It's pretty common with other prescription pills too, particularly adderall.
Does no one just swallow anymore and chase with some water? I knew of a few freaks who were grinding pills up and injecting them when I was young. Then again I wasn't much for the pharma crowd when I was young. Weed, heroin, acid, etc., were my choices. Now that I've seen a few of these rx heads I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them snorting or even injecting ground up pills like the freak I used to know.

I long for the good old days when all anyone snorted was lines of coke and a bump or two of heroin or meth. To be clear Delta is right, I think if someone wants to tear themselves apart with drugs it's their choice and that's the end of it as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. I would not apply that to kids though, only adults.

M

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I found you thread very interesting, and it also reminds me of many personal experiences as well. While I was in high school, I dabbled with a lot of various drugs. Like most other people, it all started out with weed. Eventually it led to the point where I NEEDED to smoke pot every night, especially before I went to sleep. I also began to use a lot of prescription pills, such as Vicodin, Xanax, Valium, Percocet. I even started getting into the ecstacy scene. All of this was accompanied by heavy drinking throughout the week. I also was a pack and a half a day smoker. By the end, I was extremeley out of shape and felt like crap. I almost felt like i was in my 50's and and angry and depressed all the time. A lot of these drugs screw you up so bad psychologically and you don't even realize it. To this day, I don't touch a damn thing, except maybe alcohol socially, which is hardly an occassion. I had quit everything cold turkey, and guess how? One word, bodybuilding. My older brother had gotten me to come to the gym with him, and I always thought myself to be a pretty strong guy but I realized how weak I was when I started to do exercised and felt like **** after I couldnt breathe after a few sets. I eventually fell in love with it, as the healthy feeling and high you get off a pump is more gratifying and rewarding than any other drug out there. I am a firm believer if a lot more people got involved seriously with weight training as I did, they would invest their time and money in something much more valuable like gym membership. If i had never gone to the gym that day with my brother, who knows where I would have been right now

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
If i had never gone to the gym that day with my brother, who knows where I would have been right now
My initial reasons for working out again after so many years of half hearted BS were psychological. In the end the only solution for a bad choice is the willingness and ability to make the right choice.