boxing - AnabolicMinds.com

boxing

Stats
    5'6"  196 lbs.

boxing

one of the fraternities on campus holds a boxing tourney annually. the boxers are from each of the fraternities. usually abt 3-5 from each in the varrying weight classes. anyhow- i've been going to the tourney the past 2 years and really wanted to fight next year.

i don't have much experience in the sport. there is a training facility where they hold the tourney- i was gonna go there to see if they can help me train, even tho its a year away. but i was wondering if ya'll have any websites or advice/suggestions on how to train, etc. just wanted to get acquainted with lingo, maybe learn a little abt the sport beforehand. i've pulled up a few sites using google- but first hand experience is always much more helpful to me.

thanks-
    "A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most." -George Bernard Shaw

Stats
    5'11"  122 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

not much help but when i did karate, and did my tournys, i would visit different dujos, get a feel of things , see different techniques used, and who ever was more helpful, to me, made me feel comfortable, is where I ended up...I did 4 tournys before my karate days( fighting anyway) were up..

good luck and hve fun
    RIP Ryan, :(
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bosco
    one of the fraternities on campus holds a boxing tourney annually. the boxers are from each of the fraternities. usually abt 3-5 from each in the varrying weight classes. anyhow- i've been going to the tourney the past 2 years and really wanted to fight next year.

i don't have much experience in the sport. there is a training facility where they hold the tourney- i was gonna go there to see if they can help me train, even tho its a year away. but i was wondering if ya'll have any websites or advice/suggestions on how to train, etc. just wanted to get acquainted with lingo, maybe learn a little abt the sport beforehand. i've pulled up a few sites using google- but first hand experience is always much more helpful to me.

thanks-
    Check out Vitor Belfort's Boxing training video. Its going to be different than the old southpaw style boxing but if your quick, I think it will make you quicker Belfort was a damn badass, but there is only so much you can do with a video. Just search for it on limewire or kazaa.
    •   

Well, what do you want to learn? If you have any questions at all just fire away. I used to do amateur boxing, and still train a little bit for fun. Also i'm a boxing aficionado, so if you have any questions about fighters or boxing history let me know.

I wouldn't try to learn from a video or website or anything. This could lead to bad habits, and poor form. To really learn the sport you have to hang out at the gym and get into it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. box squats anyone?
    By kelsey in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:04 PM
  2. box squats
    By 2gcorey in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 12:12 AM
  3. Rack and Box Squats
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2