My new baby girl

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:woohoo:

Got her about a week and a half ago. Coolest little thing ever. I can't wait til she gets huge.

Last edited:
revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Not going to get HUGE, just big. Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams.:nutkick: Are you going to powerfeed her?

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well She ain't gonna be a Burmese but if she hits 5' I'll be happy. Thats huge to what she is now. I am going to feed her often for now. Every four days for the next six months. But I don't want to feed her every other day. I am afraid that might be too much. That can't be good for them. I was told it can shorten how long they live if you feed them that often as well.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Every four days would be powerfeeding in my book. I dont think I would do that for 6 months though.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What do you think then? I thought powerfeeding was every other day feeding. Hmm. I get conflicting answers every where. Right now at most she is 20".

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
What do you think then? I thought powerfeeding was every other day feeding. Hmm. I get conflicting answers every where. Right now at most she is 20".

You have to remember that these reptiles can go over a month without eating. Now with that bieng said, I should have asked what you will be feeding every 4 days? A pinkie, fuzzy, or full grown mouse? That will make a differance between powerfeeding or normal diet. You wont do any harm by feeding her a pinkie every 4 days or a fuzzy for that matter. A full grown mouse every four days may be a little on the powerfeeding side. Either way, try it out and see how she does. If she want to eat, she will most likely strike within a couple of minutes, if not then pull it out and wait a day. Just like your stomach, she will tell you when she is ready. What type of heat system are you running?

Houseman: whats that your chest measurements?:run:

Drew

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
hm..... your pet will one day eat some of my pets (rats) .... so....i dont like it.... lol

its pretty though.... :)

C-19

Awards
I have an adult ball python myself. I used to have a baby one too but it died. That part sucked. As for feeding them i have always used live feed (even for the baby, and no, that is not why it died). I must say that watching a snake eat is exciting, just make sure it is proper sized prey.

I should also mention they are hard to take care of. They may be low maintenance, but they are extremely hard to get attached to as they are very basic creatures. Plus cleaning up after them is a bitch. I used to have coconut bark and moss and took the time arranging the cage but have resorted to newspaper since as cleaning up is to time consuming. Anyways good luck to you and your snake.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks everyone.

And drew I feed her an average sized mouse. Not a fuzzy or pinky. The thing is, she hunts them down immediately. Both times I fed her live she attacked it within 10 seconds. Yesterday it was more like 3 seconds. She doesn't mess around. Its shocking because she is so gentle until feeding time then she becomes demonic, lol.:twisted: Like I said I think I am going to switch it up to every five days for now.

As for the heat system I am using a heat pad and a heat lamp. Under the tank I have the pad covering 3/4 of the tank and the lamp on the same side. I turn off the lamp at night for around 6 hours. This seems to simulatate day and night pretty well. I plan on getting either a dimmer for the lamp or maybe a blacklight type bulb for nighttime along with a digital thermometer. Right now I have a stick on which as you know is fine, but not for measuring surface temps.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
If she is eating every 4 days without a problem then keep at it. Going to 5 is cool to, a little cheaper on the pocket. I know a dollar doesnt seem like much but over the next 20 years, it will add up. Where do you get your feeders at? You ought to breed them yourself, wait, I think you said you live in a apartment? If so, then nevermind cause they tend to smell rancid. Not worth the money are agervation in the apartment setting. You seem like you have studied alot on the topic before you dove in here. Good call, now if we could only get more people to treat these new supps like reptiles, all would be good!!!

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well the store I bought her at is a reputable one. It is exclusive to reptiles and exotic stuff. The guy has owned it for 40+ years and I don't know anyone that has a complaint about him other than he can get pricey. But that ain't a factor IMO if you really care about what your buying. All his snakes are DB and he won't sell them till he has fed them I think 6 times and knows they are healthy. He also gave me 5 free mice when I bought her. THe guy cares about his animals, when I bought her he was on the phone refusing to sell an animal to someone because in his words "you don't have any idea what your getting into and I don't believe you will give it a proper home, you would be better of buying a fish" lol.

When she gets bigger and I get a better camera I'll get you some better pics. BTW if I had more room I would definately get a burm. Those snakes look very cool.