ebay..wtf?!?!

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
OK I need some opinions. I put this older laptop i had up on ebay. An IBM Thinkpad T23, 1GHz...good laptop. It is missing the hard drive caddy and screw, and also the mouse track ball thing. SO i listed it for use as is or for parts/repair. I do have the hd for it also. anyway. I put it up there and some dude wanted to give me $100 to end it right now, but i said no. Then I got the below message!?! You think that's a scam? or what. I mean I'd be happy with like 200 or so, but that much!?!

Hello dearest seller, I am Samuel Ola and i am interested in the immediate purchase of this unit i will be paying you a sum of $800 and will be making payment right away,i shall also be paying through USPS POSTER MONEY ORDER and so i will want to complete the transaction in a very timely manner and shipped out immediately after you are been notify of the payment Approval and i would also pay an extra $200 for the shipment via usps post office (EMS SPEEDPOST).if you can do this,email me with your name and contact address so that i can proceed with payment right away.let me quickly say that i will be sending this unit to west Africa for my son who went for her masters programme ,he needs this item urgent, i will be happy if you can end this auction and will also drop positive feedback and do business with you. thanks pls include your personal email address.Thank you and i hope to hear from you soonest.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
nah i mean i dunno. I don't really sell **** on ebay. I'm guessing they think i am going to send it first. I didn't think that kind of thing happened on there. Naive i suppose. I just got this one too

Hello seller, I want, and need to purchase this item for my new electronics store in Africa (Nigeria), as a sample for buyer, and I want to pay you $1,800 USD through a secured and licensed paying method named Money Gram International money transfer, the money will be deliver at your doorstep by their postage agent or delivery agent, very fast paying method. If you will accept the paying method, send your NAME, DELIVERY ADDRESS i.e. where the money will be deliver, ITEM MARKET COST PRICE, POSTAGE COST via U.S.P.S Express Mail Service E.M.S, to make it fast and easier to purchase, VALID E-MAIL ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER. To please you, I would have said you post the item to my home address and I will send it to Africa (Nigeria), but I am not at home, I am at a research field, my transaction with you is via laptop and my partner told me about anumex auction. Please make this an offer for me. Thanks… Hope to read from you soon. Dr. Brown Law

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
ok yeah it's pretty obvious now. Like I said I didn't realize that stuff happened like that on there.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
the age old motto "if its too good to be true, than it isnt"

is usually a good one to follow

ebay is just a crooked as the real world is.

btw, i love your quote meow...good point....

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a redirected email that has got quite a few people already. I don't ship a damn thing out until I get money and if it's sent to my paypal account I take it and send it directly to my alternate account before I do any shipping just to make sure. Too many assholes out there to take chances.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I definitely wasn't going to send anything without having the money in hand first.

cool link btw

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Happens. I had some joker tell me this sob story about how her friend had a fire and they have 3 small children and nothing was left and that she didn't have much money, blah, blah, blah. She basically wanted the item for free giving me maybe enough money for the shipping. Sounded fishy so I just ignored her. Use Paypal only and make sure the money is in the account before shipping the item.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the age old motto "if its too good to be true, than it isnt"

is usually a good one to follow

ebay is just a crooked as the real world is.

btw, i love your quote meow...good point....
I think it's supposed to be either...
"If it is too good to be true, then it is."
or
"If it is too good to be true, then it probably is."

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I almost got scammed from that. I got a Payapl (thats right, the scammers didn't even bother to spell Paypal right) for a PS2 I was trying to sell. I shipped it off and fortunately, FedEx caught it and called me up to tell me its a scam.

Only ship to those in your own country on eBay is the best bet.