Just got put on Depakote.

peace_frog

Awards
This **** sounds like bad news. Liver problems, pacreatitis, elevated ammonia levels. Im nervous to take it. Ive researched it, so im not looking for answers about the drug itself. Id like to know some steps i can take nurtritionally and suplement wise to help protect myself.

"Cases of life-threatening pancreatitis have been reported with valproate, either initially or after several years of use. Some cases were described as hemorrhagic with a rapid progression from onset to death."

"Hepatic failure resulting in fatalities has occurred in patients receiving valproic acid and its derivatives. Patients should be monitored closely for the appearance of nonspecific symptoms that may precede hepatotoxicity. Liver function tests should be performed prior to therapy and at frequent intervals thereafter, especially during the first 6 months."

"Elevated ammonia levels have been reported in some patients receiving valproate. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience abnormal drowsiness and vomiting or changes in mental status. "

"Some people taking Depakote may experience low blood platelet counts. "

I know these are just the worst of and rare(r) side effects. I know of Milk Thistle for the liver(altho recently have read repeated reports that it does NOT protect or help restore the liver as once believed. Im sure you can easily find these reports as they were current.)

So im looking for suggestions on how to help protect myself against some of this if possible. This sounds like one of the worse chemicals ive ever put in my body and Im nervous to take it. Starting out on 250mg, he wants to work me up to 1gram(1000mg), although I read 750 is usually most common, so i may stop at that when I get there.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Its a sensitive issue for me, but Im concerend and had to turn somewhere. I hope I posted this in the right place.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
im sorry , i dont know anything about this really. go with your instincts....if it sounds bad....dont take it......if it doesnt sound worth it....dont do it.... its better to be safe than sorry

just letting you know we arent ignoring you :)