Bodybuilding is not what it used to be

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bodybuilding is not what it used to be..I remember back in the 70's and 80's Bodybuilding rocked.Every gym had seminars and pro bodybuilders coming to visit it was awsome.Rich Gaspari held a seminar at Golds gym in Mendon Mass I was so impressed with him and he motivated me so much I competed a year after that for the very first time.The battles between Arnold and Louie were legendary it just seemed like the golden era of bodybuilding.The sport was marketed alot better then,you had grand prix events all over the country with IFBB bodybuilders and NPC shows all the time.I remember you could watch bodybuilding on TV for free,now it's a pay per view event geared to a very limited audience..I used to compete in the AAU Cliff Sawyer was the promoter I dont even think they exist anymore.Last year I went to an ANBC show and it was awful 5 competitors and in the mens open division and 3 of them competed in the masters,back in my day there were 13 competitors in the mens tall class alone...

All in all is sad to see something I love so much just seemed to fall apart at least in the amature ranks,I think the Weiders should try and market the sport to the mainstream a little more but maybe it is such a strange and extreme sport (which it is ) you either love it or hate it...Slow day at work just sharing some thoughts.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The problem is the freakiness. Back then more than likely every male would've sold one of their testicles to look like Arnold, Zane, Columbo, etc. Now very few people would take one pill if it would make them look like Jay or Ronnie. I would love to look like that but the vast majority male and female find it too disgusting, unlike us here who find it fascinating.

Also it is just too obvious these days that these guys are on juice. Anyone with a brain can see that it isn't natural to be the size of a silverback gorilla. That also turns people off.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The problem is the freakiness. Back then more than likely every male would've sold one of their testicles to look like Arnold, Zane, Columbo, etc. Now very few people would take one pill if it would make them look like Jay or Ronnie. I would love to look like that but the vast majority male and female find it too disgusting, unlike us here who find it fascinating.

Also it is just too obvious these days that these guys are on juice. Anyone with a brain can see that it isn't natural to be the size of a silverback gorilla. That also turns people off.

Very true,Frank Zane symmetry was unreal and who didnt want guns like Larry Scott I think he was the 1st Olympia winner...So of my all time favorites Al Beckles the ageless wonder was like 65 and still competing serge nubre Mike Quinn
Gary Strydom and someone who I think got screwed alot in competitions was Robbie Robinson...

Classic..

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
The human body is the greatest tool, instrument you will ever own it is a canvas of personal achievment and the vessel of our souls. If you die with a huge house, nice car, nice clothes, hot wife........ YOUR STILL DEAD. Bodybuilding to me is the fountain of attainable youth, and i agree we should still be interested in the elite athletes who take fitness to the next level, competitive fitness. I think most people are lazy, flat out useless and in this hypocratic society most dont actually want to believe that hard work pays off and most say BBing is disgusting (jealousy obviuosly). How is BBing disgusting, how is a chiselled physique ugly coming from a fat bag of... well you get the point. Im sure youve all seen it or heard it when you pic up a BBing mag and someone nearby say something along those lines. So if hard work ACTUALLY exists and if that IS nice then what does that say about me..... NOPE its ugly and stupid. I think the general public is swallowing all the crap aholes like linn goldberg have been shovelling and all the negative press influences the masses. Instead of awe struck interest, most will scoff at hard work and say hmmmpphhh thats just steroids, anyone could do that. With shows on Discovery like " Man with exploding arms " How do the physical minds benefit, simple they dont. I think your concern is valid and with all the experts bashing steroids it discredits the sport regaurdless of usage. The masses are indirectly learning to eat the crap they are shovelled, that being lazy is better than being a CRIMINAL.
9 year old girls are using steroids like its heroin (linn goldberg in this months MD) what a crock of crap, like really, WTF. If i want to smoke, i and %50 of smokers, WILL die from it. If I want to drive and drink i can. But working out , eating well, researching scientifically valid means to potentiate my genetics, responsible NON addictive drug use is out of the question. (Sarcastic) So the sport fades in an age where obesity is an epidemic, Crime is all time high, wars errupt, and diseases mutate to unstoppable jugggernaults that may change man kind, Those guys in the gym we'd better lock them up so they dont knock up all the girls.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I agree - its the freaks and those that push that ideal that have ruined it. When I was a kid, I'd see Arnold in the movies and man did I want to look like Conan!!:)

But the pros today - its an unattainable goal. Any guy who works hard enough can be built like the guys from the golden era...maybe not that big or limited by genetics, etc - but they were like living statues of the perfect male form.

Todays guys are like comic book characters.

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree, it has gone too far to the mass monster side of things. Guys like Zane, Arnold et cetera had amazing, hard earned physiques that were the envy of all us skinny kids. I see Coleman and the likes as interesting oddities that have gone too far beyond what is a recognizable human form and I think some in the BB judging business are starting to respond to that line of thinking.

They are starting to send the message that being massive, despite how hard it is to get there, is not the only goal of BBing. Form, symmetry, all at a size that compliments the human form should be the goal of high level BBers. Simply getting as huge as possible doesn't seem all that sporting to me. It may be tough, but it should be about more than being a walking drug store and eating 7000 calories per day.

With the abolition of heavyweight female BBing, and a call to decrease drug use even in the men's categories, I think we will see a return to the old days.

Sirius

Awards
I agree - its the freaks and those that push that ideal that have ruined it. When I was a kid, I'd see Arnold in the movies and man did I want to look like Conan!!:)

But the pros today - its an unattainable goal. Any guy who works hard enough can be built like the guys from the golden era...maybe not that big or limited by genetics, etc - but they were like living statues of the perfect male form.

Todays guys are like comic book characters.

BV

Virtually all those guys back then were juicers..although..mild compared to the gear today's bodybuilders are using..insulin/hgh, etc..Arnold and Zane and a select few top bodybuilders also posessed better than average if not great genetics to achieve this type of physique!

This is the kind of stuff a young kid believes and dreams when he first lifts a weight in hopes of looking like Arnold one day...only to be disappointed after hours and hours of training and years in the gym to have someone walk in and train on gear for 6months and look 100x better.

It's genetics, hard ass training..corresponding diet..bulk/cut and if then gear to get that extra edge if you want to compete or be a liar and say you are natural and try to impress people. Sadly..most of the juicers end up looking like shitasses 10-20 years down the road..if they are still alive..anyone watch Arnold's Pumping Iron Anniversary movie where at the ending they all got together? My man ageless on here looks 100x better than almost all those guys! Arnold still juices for his movies and without a doubt so does Ferigno. Arnold also has had 2 if not 3 heart operations and it's been rumored that he has to get his kidney's pumped since he f**cked them up with steroid abuse. I saw Zane not too long ago and he still looks great as well..but he's not big..just very cut! Today's freaks of nature who use hgh/insulin and other goodies...well they die of heart attacks at age 35 or other complications.

Competitive bodybuilding has evolved into a freak show and I wish only that Arnold had listened to Reeves years ago when he asked Arnold to do something about the steroid abuse...obviously Arnold didn't listen since his "Arnold Classic" features our most famour freakshow juicers.

Just my 2 cents...

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I sure hope so!!
Don't forget the older bber's (Pre Arnie) had to also do gymnastics with a lifting comp to win first place. John Grimek used to do backflips and handstands during his routine. Heres a pic. Check out his forearms, pre gear era.
The second is Sergio. Both of these men were powerhouses. Very fuctional strength

Attachments

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Personally I like the big, thick look compared to big, nasty, unhealthy look that wins competitions nowdays.

ADDED: I just set myself up for a dirty joke.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I used to love the old hercules movies with Steve Reeves and who can forget Reg Park...Here is one of my old time favorites he had a powerful build may he rest in peace
Mike Mentzer....

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Good thread... seeing the pics of the pre 80's era freaks that now rule is something that I aspire to look like.

We should get some more classic guys up.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Never really searched for older pro vids over there.

And you got alot of spam after signing up? I have for about 4 months now and I haven't recieved anything. Well a couple of advertisments through private messages.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Well you have to post on a thread to download the vids, and after that everyone who signs up on the thread, you get automailed. I suppose I can probably shut that off in userCP or something

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Well you have to post on a thread to download the vids, and after that everyone who signs up on the thread, you get automailed. I suppose I can probably shut that off in userCP or something
OH!! yeah... after about the 5th one, I took of topic reply notification

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think the difference in aesthetics can be boiled down to 3 main areas: traps, thighs, and midsection. To a lesser extent, I would add delts. Man was never meant to scratch his ears with his traps.

The superdevelopment of these areas totally changes the symmetry. I prefer the less exaggerated physiques of the 70's. I think you can still have great aesthetics with some pretty freaky legs. The midsection is obviously one of the key areas of offense.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
One word comercialization. it's bound to happen fella's. I would never want to look like Ronnie or Jay but I respect the hell out of those two gentleman. Two things in my opinion are ruining bodybuilding, insulin and GH.

Sirius

Awards
...and we haven't even touched upon the female bodybuilders yet...the days of Rachel McLishs are over..sadly!:sad:

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
...and we haven't even touched upon the female bodybuilders yet...the days of Rachel McLishs are over..sadly!:sad:

Dont even get me started...Now thats when womens bodybuilding appealed to the mainstream...

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I thought cory everson was damn good and i guess the 6 olympia titles spanning the 80's have something to say. Even in contests she still looked like a woman. When the woman doesnt sound or look like a woman technically she isnt a woman.:nutkick: :think: :stick: :sad:

Last edited:
somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
yall gonna get me fired from work:run:
Where do you think i was when i posted these. lol
I just took my shirt off in my cubicle to take some pics with the office digi but they dont look to good close range. I may have to take it home, lol. oohhh im a risk taker, like it says "on the edge" lol.:numbered: :dance: