97.09%

anyone have a degree in excercise science

just wondering what how you like it and what job offers come from it

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I am actually going back to school in Sept. for an Exercise blah blah degree. It is only a 2 year program and I will have to transfer to a larger school to finish out. I want to be a phys ed teacher. I want to coach high schools sports and this seems to be the easiest way to get in there. Anywas, there really arent to many jobs that come out of that degree that I have found. Just the same general ones that you can get with a Personal Training certificate. Not 100% sure on all of the info yet. I will update as I find out more.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.09%

yea im cant find too many career paths either...im looking to either major in excercise science or maybe Biochemistry. What did Bobo get his degree in?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.4%

Quote Originally Posted by CREAO
    yea im cant find too many career paths either...im looking to either major in excercise science or maybe Biochemistry. What did Bobo get his degree in?
    biochemistry would be fun,
    personally I'm studying dietetics (human nutrition) at Washington State University.

After I graduate I will do a supervised internship (required in order to become a registered dietitian), then take the RD exam.

There are a lot of options for a career in dietetics, health care, cooking, business and industry, public health and wellness, education, research, fitness centers, food services, and private practice
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.09%

yea I want to take sports nutrition but the college im looking at doesnt have it. Biochemistry would be fun though, lots of interesting things you could learn about
  6. Pop-Lock champion of 84'
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.85%

there isn't a huge market for the excercise science degree, meaning as a general degree and no special focus. You need to figure out an area you would like to go to and apply it there, unfortunelty unless you just want to be only a trainer or a gym teacher you'll need a masters - strentgh coaches for colleges, lots of positions in athletic departments, research jobs - community health areas will all require a masters and/or a decent deal of experience. You can start a business like bobo did with it for sure but he doens't have his degree in anything excercise related - he's self taught with college level material, I am sure he's about at a masters level though with the knowledge that ozzes out of him.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.09%

yea he is one smart clown lol
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by McBurly
    After I graduate I will do a supervised internship (required in order to become a registered dietitian), then take the RD exam.

There are a lot of options for a career in dietetics, health care, cooking, business and industry, public health and wellness, education, research, fitness centers, food services, and private practice
    Try to get yourself involved with a management type company i.e. Sodexho, Aramark. There is always room for upward mobility. I know a few RD's that feel pigeon toed working for a hospital.

If I could do it over I would have stood in school a few extra years and become a PA or maybe even an MD.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.4%

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Try to get yourself involved with a management type company i.e. Sodexho, Aramark. There is always room for upward mobility. I know a few RD's that feel pigeon toed working for a hospital.

If I could do it over I would have stood in school a few extra years and become a PA or maybe even an MD.
    Yeah the management jobs seem to pay a lot more than advising people. Hospitals have great benefits from what I've been told, same with school districts and such.
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.85%

I have a Bachelors degree in Exercise Phys. and will start my Masters program in the Fall. I am currently a full-time Strength and Conditioning Coach, but don't know if its something I want to do for a long time as opposed to Sports Nutrition or getting a PhD and conducting research. Working with pro athletes isn't as fun as it sounds.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.09%

i found a intersting sports nutrition program run through some colleges, its called scan nutrition.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.4%

Quote Originally Posted by CREAO
    i found a intersting sports nutrition program run through some colleges, its called scan nutrition.
    is it referring Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists?
    http://www.scandpg.org/

A subgroup of dietitians from the american dietetic association?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

working on mine right now, it's the only degree i'm interested in. i don't believe i'll have any use for it directly but most companies nowadays don't give a **** what kinda degree you have, as long as you have one.
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.11%

Its funny yo posted this. I was just saying last night that if the exercise science field was regulated more thoroughly like Physical Therapy there would be many more profitable jobs for people like us.

I have an undergraduate degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology from bnoston University. I was the absolute best experience of my life. Can't think of a time I was happier. I was so motivated by everything I was studying. Then when I finished and had my b.s. is when I realized that, with a b.s. and no masters it would be basically impossible to have any high standard of living because the jobs are not out there. I would have loved to do something with my degree but I nded up going to law school instead and now I am a lawyer. I sure would much rather be an exercise scientist.

So overall my advice would be to pursue it but realize that if you want to make a living doing it you either have to 1) have a lot of guts and big balls like Bobo and start your own business; or 2) Go in for the long haul and get at least your Master's if not your Ph.D.

Good luck bro.

Mr.50
  15. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.64%

Mr. 50 put it best. You love it while you are studying it and getting the degree but when you get out, the job market is limited and most jobs are very low in pay. Its ok while you are single but when you get married and start a family you realize that you need to make more for a living. Having said that, if you are passionate and motivated you can find a way to stay involved and make a living. I have a BS in Ex. Science with a minor in Nutrition and I have been a Personal Trainer, designed nutritional programs, worked with gyms and then I went into Technology because that was where the money and 8 to 5 hours were, which was appealing after I got married and had a couple kids. Now I work for myself, but have gained a lot of knowledge and experience from all my jobs that has allowed my business to succeed.
  16. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.11%

Why can't we all get paid at least 100K to do what we love.

Quote Originally Posted by stri8ted_planet
    Mr. 50 put it best. You love it while you are studying it and getting the degree but when you get out, the job market is limited and most jobs are very low in pay. Its ok while you are single but when you get married and start a family you realize that you need to make more for a living. Having said that, if you are passionate and motivated you can find a way to stay involved and make a living. I have a BS in Ex. Science with a minor in Nutrition and I have been a Personal Trainer, designed nutritional programs, worked with gyms and then I went into Technology because that was where the money and 8 to 5 hours were, which was appealing after I got married and had a couple kids. Now I work for myself, but have gained a lot of knowledge and experience from all my jobs that has allowed my business to succeed.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0%

The best way to look at it is to figure out what you want to do that 1.) you enjoy, and 2.) pays the bills. I have my masters and have done a bit of everything. I loved working as a strength and Cond. coach at the Div I level, but NO money and crappy hours. If you just get the degree and then start looking, you have to remeber there's a bunch of others doing the same. Find your niche, find what sets you apart and run with it. Where I live there are plenty of pers. trainers, strength coaches, etc. I started doing nutrition for athletes and am the only guy around that does it. Now they all come to me. Most personal trainers don't know the nutrition side of the game. It took me 10 years to find my niche. Find yours. GOOD LUCK!
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.4%

Hey guys I have a question,

my mom recently lost her job b/c the company lost a multi billion dollar and they had to downsize dramatically

she took a couple of job tests or whatever you call them to try and find a new career/job. She scored really high for being a personal trainer.

She wants to try and go into that field, any suggestions for a cert? She's in her 50's keep in mind.

Thanks
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.89%

Molecular genetics and biochemistry student here.

I will be applying to Dr. of pharmacy program by the summer

Jobs in the health fieled are best option for stable income. Plus you learn tons about cellular physiology and how exercise and diet impact your body.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.35%

Hate to bump up a 7 month old thread, but I found this topic very interesting.
    Ive got a BS in Ex Sci and there are no jobs whatsoever out there that allow you to use your knowledge and abilities.
    Just like Mr.50 did, Im looking into law school.
    Its a sad reality, but it seems like this field is so saturated with garbage, that honest passionate guys cant make a living off of it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
  2. Does anyone have a job in cloud computing?
    By DerickVonD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
  3. Anyone have the anabolic diet manual in PDF? :)
    By Lockxxheed in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM
  4. Anyone else have trouble loggin in?
    By CROWLER in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2003, 09:45 PM