Sleep... Just how important is it?

1. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.45%

Sleep... Just how important is it?

Hey guys I am just looking for some opinions on how much sleep you need each night for optimal growth. I get between 6-7 each night and I am worried this isn't enough. I do sleep in on the weekends though and get a good 8-10+ hours. Do you guys think this is enough?

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.28%

It's all relevent to the person but I found 8-9 hours a night to be the best for me.
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

(IMO)
    1. diet/nutrition

tied for 2nd.
    training and rest/sleep

3. supps

***not on the list***
    gimmicky crap, wishful thinking, and magic potions.

make sure the order of these isn't too far off for best results!
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.04%

Sleep is very important, especially since this is when your body repairs itself (your muscles).
  5. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

Any more than 5 hours and I'm tossin and turnin. Probably why I am still such a puny little ****.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.84%

Definetely important, very very very important. 8 hours minimum for me.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.41%

I have noticed that after 7 hours I wake up fully awake, any more than that and I feel groggy for a couple hours...but I force myself back to sleep because I feel my body needs more. Can anyone comment on this?
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.64%

sort of off topic but I just saw a program on TLC about sleep, It stated that scientists actually have no idea what sleep is for. They said sleep has nothing to do with your body repairing itself. The only reasonable theory they could come up with is that while you sleep, your brain filters through all of the days memories and stores what it thinks are important and discards what it thinks is useless and that is the cause for dreaming.

here is a link I found also that talks about it
    http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dim...ts/s859047.htm
  9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.71%

Quote Originally Posted by CREAO
    sort of off topic but I just saw a program on TLC about sleep, It stated that scientists actually have no idea what sleep is for. They said sleep has nothing to do with your body repairing itself. The only reasonable theory they could come up with is that while you sleep, your brain filters through all of the days memories and stores what it thinks are important and discards what it thinks is useless and that is the cause for dreaming.

here is a link I found also that talks about it
    http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dim...ts/s859047.htm
    You would think there would be a reason why. Interesting find.
  10. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I have noticed that after 7 hours I wake up fully awake, any more than that and I feel groggy for a couple hours...but I force myself back to sleep because I feel my body needs more. Can anyone comment on this?
    Your body sleeps in 'stages' which make up a 'sleep cycle'. Through the course of the night, you'll go through several sleep cycles during your 7 hours of sleep.

Waking
    The waking stage is referred to as relaxed wakefulness, because this is the stage in which the body prepares for sleep. All people fall asleep with tense muscles, their eyes moving erratically. Then, normally, as a person becomes sleepier, the body begins to slow down. Muscles begin to relax, and eye movement slows to a roll.

Stage 1
    Stage 1 sleep, or drowsiness, is often described as first in the sequence, especially in models where waking is not included. Polysomnography shows a 50% reduction in activity between wakefulness and stage 1 sleep. The eyes are closed during Stage 1 sleep, but if aroused from it, a person may feel as if he or she has not slept. Stage 1 may last for five to 10 minutes.

Stage 2
    Stage 2 is a period of light sleep during which polysomnographic readings show intermittent peaks and valleys, or positive and negative waves. These waves indicate spontaneous periods of muscle tone mixed with periods of muscle relaxation. Muscle tone of this kind can be seen in other stages of sleep as a reaction to auditory stimuli. The heart rate slows, and body temperature decreases. At this point, the body prepares to enter deep sleep.

Stages 3 and 4
    These are deep sleep stages, with Stage 4 being more intense than Stage 3. These stages are known as slow-wave, or delta, sleep. During slow-wave sleep, especially during Stage 4, the electromyogram records slow waves of high amplitude, indicating a pattern of deep sleep and rhythmic continuity.

Non-REM Sleep
    The period of non-REM sleep (NREM)is comprised of Stages 1-4 and lasts from 90 to 120 minutes, each stage lasting anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Surprisingly, however, Stages 2 and 3 repeat backwards before REM sleep is attained. So, a normal sleep cycle has this pattern: waking, stage 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, REM. Usually, REM sleep occurs 90 minutes after sleep onset.

Stage 5, REM
    REM sleep is distinguishable from NREM sleep by changes in physiological states, including its characteristic rapid eye movements. However, polysomnograms show wave patterns in REM to be similar to Stage 1 sleep. In normal sleep (in people without disorders of sleep-wake patterns or REM behavior disorder), heart rate and respiration speed up and become erratic, while the face, fingers, and legs may twitch. Intense dreaming occurs during REM sleep as a result of heightened cerebral activity, but paralysis occurs simultaneously in the major voluntary muscle groups, including the submental muscles (muscles of the chin and neck). Because REM is a mixture of encephalic (brain) states of excitement and muscular immobility, it is sometimes called paradoxical sleep. It is generally thought that REM-associated muscle paralysis is meant to keep the body from acting out the dreams that occur during this intensely cerebral stage. The first period of REM typically lasts 10 minutes, with each recurring REM stage lengthening, and the final one lasting an hour.

Sleep Cycle
    The five stages of sleep, including their repetition, occur cyclically. The first cycle, which ends after the completion of the first REM stage, usually lasts for 100 minutes. Each subsequent cycle lasts longer, as its respective REM stage extends. So a person may complete five cycles in a typical night?s sleep.
    So, if you wake up at the end of 7 hours and feel refreshed, you've woke at completion of a sleep cycle. However, an hour later and you wake up in the middle of another cycle, and youre body/brain has to 'hard reboot' to wake up and come to terms with reality.

An average sleep cycle lasts between 90 - 110 minutes.
    This explains why sometimes you can get ~3 hours of sleep and feel great, but get 4 and you'll feel like the walking dead. Or after a nice 1.5 hour nap you wake up feeling like superman.

In fact, sometimes Ill end up having to go to bed really late; Ill make sure that I time my sleep so that Ill get through 2 sleep cycles rather than waking up in the middle of another one and feeling like crap until 2 in the afternoon.

BV
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.64%

so from what ive been reading ...sleep has really nothing to do with repairing muscles ....your body does it constantly throughout the day. So the only application I could see it being used for is maybe helping fix your CNS to prevent it from overtraining? Im not sure ...again this is just speculation
  12. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.98%

I think that's a load of crap, personally. Try staying up for 3 days and then doing a brutal leg day. It aint happening

BV
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.64%

hahah touche ....but im not trying to argue...im just saying from the studies ive read, sleep should have nothing to do with it....but I dont know
  14. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.98%

Ive read those two. Perhaps the actual muscle repair is happening constantly..but GH and testosterone levels are elevated during sleep, and that's definitely a bonus.

BV
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.64%

can't argue with that
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  122 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.47%

i can saying having lupus, my body needs 9-10 hours nightly....i can go some nights with 7, but doing that for to long and i crash, and have slept for 12+ hours...........

agreed depends on the person....
    RIP Ryan, :(
  17. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.04%

I think it's sad that doctors are trying to figure out why we need sleep. WHat a waste of time and money. I mean honestly if you don't know why you need to sleep you might want to get checked for M.R. The body heals itself during sleep this is as obvious as the sky is blue.

Think about this, when your sick do you get better while the day is going by or do you get rest then wake and feel better. NO brainer here. If it walks like a duck talks like a duck it's a duck fella's.
  18. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.98%

People want to find out if we can eliminate sleep so workers/soldiers can be more productive.

I love to sleep and dream, hell I think Ill take a nap when I get home

BV
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.64%

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    I think it's sad that doctors are trying to figure out why we need sleep. WHat a waste of time and money. I mean honestly if you don't know why you need to sleep you might want to get checked for M.R. The body heals itself during sleep this is as obvious as the sky is blue.

Think about this, when your sick do you get better while the day is going by or do you get rest then wake and feel better. NO brainer here. If it walks like a duck talks like a duck it's a duck fella's.

there is no evidence that says sleep heals the body...google it..there are so many theories on why we sleep and what not. My thinking was exactly like yours until I saw that program on it, and I researched it more and turned up some really intersting things.
  20. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.04%

Quote Originally Posted by CREAO
    there is no evidence that says sleep heals the body...google it..there are so many theories on why we sleep and what not. My thinking was exactly like yours until I saw that program on it, and I researched it more and turned up some really intersting things.
    I've read the studies and personally I think people have too much time on their hands. No hostility directed towards you bro I'm just venting at the stupidity of these doc's. Seriously some things are so obvious we don't need to question them. I mean the study you posted proves they don't know what the F#$# sleep is for, they say it. Well I can make it real clear for them. To let the body rest and repair. Simple.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.64%

Thumbs up

i agree ...i still beileve sleep is crucial to your body repairing itself, its just odd that no one knows what its purpose is
  22. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.84%

I gave myself a 4 am curfiew; no ifs ands or buts. lol
    (i end up taking lengthy naps in the middle of the day after my classes)
    sometimes i sneak on in before my golf class (im livin the dream)

no but seriously girls come to my appartment and will stay and talk about drama and whatever else they feel is so important to me until i literally have to make them leave.
    It is 4 right as i post this because some girls made me watch a movie with them. (they pounded on my door until i would agree to watch with them).....

maybe i shouldn't complain though..... better than no girls right?
  23. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.04%

Well aren't you just the resident pimp. Girls knocking down the door huh? sure sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Steve
    I gave myself a 4 am curfiew; no ifs ands or buts. lol
    (i end up taking lengthy naps in the middle of the day after my classes)
    sometimes i sneak on in before my golf class (im livin the dream)

no but seriously girls come to my appartment and will stay and talk about drama and whatever else they feel is so important to me until i literally have to make them leave.
    It is 4 right as i post this because some girls made me watch a movie with them. (they pounded on my door until i would agree to watch with them).....

maybe i shouldn't complain though..... better than no girls right?
  24. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.84%

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Well aren't you just the resident pimp. Girls knocking down the door.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
  2. how important is it to avoid drink?
    By first timer in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM
  3. Bro's, How important is it to take BCAA's or EAA's?????
    By INFLUENCER in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 04:17 AM
  4. How important is flexing?
    By Irongame in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 11:08 PM
  5. just bought 19nordione is it really that bad ?
    By dexcell in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 08:09 AM