Online Ammo?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for the best price on 5.56 AR15 rounds. I know Federal makes a good M193 (55gr) but was wondering if any of you guys know of a good, economical online source, or know of a cheaper brand with comparable quality?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Are you planning a coup at work?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Dr. D,

I run (with some other good folks) a firearms forum. I'm sure you can find an answer there. The addy is:

http://p092.ezboard.com/bchiefstipi11395

I have never purchased ammo online myself, but I know many of the guys there have. I'd check under the Long Guns forum.

Hope this helps.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for the best price on 5.56 AR15 rounds. I know Federal makes a good M193 (55gr) but was wondering if any of you guys know of a good, economical online source, or know of a cheaper brand with comparable quality?
let me talk to my local militia and get back to you on that one......... what im serious.... really i am.

na i know bout 10 guys that have decided that they all need every gun they see and shoot, even crazy stuff like automatic action replacements for semi-auto uzi'z n whatnot..... but ill talk to em and see what they prefer, theyd know since their cheap and load nearly all their own shot and shells....:numbered:

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
Gives a whole new meaning to "shooting up" in a body building forum HAHAHAHAHAHAHWEHFUWHE laugh at that.. help my ego!

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
I Told You That Joke Over The Phone!!! You Are Using My Stuff!!!!:gore:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've seen decent prices over at cheaper-than-dirt.com but I cannot vouche for quality.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Dr. D here is an up to date price list. M193 is what I and most people will suggest to shoot. XM193 is the same thing BTW.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888

Some people like to shoot Wolf, because of it's price. I personally wouldn't use it, but quite a few do without problems. If you are really trying to shoot cheap, I would get a box, and see how it cycles through your weapon.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
www.thehighroad.org is a great firearms board as well. Good folks and a very AM type "no flaming, no bullshit" policy.

ManBeast

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
The only brand I've ever used is the Win Q3131, but the Wolf does look good based on the bulk price. I've never shot it and it scares me a little based on some of the stories, like you said Pursuit. The local Acadamy store sells some brand called Monarch, but it's even cheaper that the Wolf! I've never used the M855 either, thought I'd just stick to the XM193's unless there was some great advantage to the other. It is a bit cheaper every where I've looked. Thanks for the leads and insight guys.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I've seen decent prices over at cheaper-than-dirt.com but I cannot vouche for quality.
I've bought from Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsmans Paradise. They both have good quality ammo at extremely good prices. The more you buy, the better the deal. I usually get the green tip military 223. The best I've used is Federal Tactical Rifle Urban (Law Enforcement only). It's .55gr boat tail hollow point, and it's the ****.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I've bought from Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsmans Paradise. They both have good quality ammo at extremely good prices. The more you buy, the better the deal. I usually get the green tip military 223. The best I've used is Federal Tactical Rifle Urban (Law Enforcement only). It's .55gr boat tail hollow point, and it's the ****.
Thanks Delta. Is the Federal TRU for indoor or close range use only? I thought the hollow tips where more of a spread ammo? I've heard it said that they spin the same on impact but that they frag very poorly. The green tips are the M855, right?

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Delta. Is the Federal TRU for indoor or close range use only? I thought the hollow tips where more of a spread ammo? I've heard it said that they spin the same on impact but that they frag very poorly. The green tips are the M855, right?
You are correct about the M855 green tips. The Federal TRU ammo (in BT HP)offers excellent penetration. They also have a special powder that doesn't give the flash that regular powders do, so you can keep your night vision while firing.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
OK, gotcha. That's good to know. If I can just remember now! :rolleyes: I know some of the 'hotter' rounds can cause flash probs but I didn't realize the green tips had a retardant added.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Dr. D,

I run (with some other good folks) a firearms forum. I'm sure you can find an answer there. The addy is:

http://p092.ezboard.com/bchiefstipi11395

I have never purchased ammo online myself, but I know many of the guys there have. I'd check under the Long Guns forum.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again Redwolf. It's an interesting forum and I've had fun looking around over there today!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I may go with 'The Armory' and pick up some 380 ammo while I'm there. Thank though Bio!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Dr. D here is an up to date price list. M193 is what I and most people will suggest to shoot. XM193 is the same thing BTW.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888

Some people like to shoot Wolf, because of it's price. I personally wouldn't use it, but quite a few do without problems. If you are really trying to shoot cheap, I would get a box, and see how it cycles through your weapon.
Thanks NP, that list is a great quick reference resource! Those folks know way more about this stuff that I do. :blink:

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
www.thehighroad.org is a great firearms board as well. Good folks and a very AM type "no flaming, no bullshit" policy.

ManBeast
Yeah, it does have an AM feel to it there. Good board. You know the flaming turns me off, so I can really appreciate that. Thanks for the link Beast!

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Thanks NP, that list is a great quick reference resource! Those folks know way more about this stuff that I do. :blink:
LOL yeah I've spent quite a bit of time over there. They definitely know their ****. Check out the AMMO FAQ they have. It's a long read, but all your questions on 5.56/223 ammo will certainly be anwered.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it does have an AM feel to it there. Good board. You know the flaming turns me off, so I can really appreciate that. Thanks for the link Beast!
Yah, I spend most of my time in the shotgun section. I still can't figure out exactly what "evil black rifle" I want. I basically have to decided on .223 or .308 first.

ManBeast

drunk

Awards
ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
highroad came about when firingline went down for a while. I look there too, they have a bit less bias towards the remington 870 over the mossberg 500 series at the firingline.

ManBeast

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You better not be shooting any bunnies or otters with that ammo!!!:nono: :nono:

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
If ammoman is still around, they had decent deals. I haven't shot .223 in years, I love my .308 tho :) I have a case of PMP .308. I believe it's south african. Just avoid wolf, that stuff is so dirty. Have you tried going to a gun show and picking some up there?