Be thankful for what you have...

bigbadboss101

Awards
I thought I would share my experience...

You know in North America peole always want more?  A better job, and nicer car, flashy clothing, toys for the house, etc?  Of course not everyone is like that but we are brought up in a seciety that suggest that we ought to out do our neighbours.

Well, earlier in my life I always was looking.  Looking for a job with better pay.  My last job allowed me to travel to various places, and the extra $ I got on the road was good.  However, just before 9/11 my perspective changed, and after the attack my view changed completely.  Money is always a nice thing, but I want to be able to stay in my house, spend time with my friends and family.

What am I getting at?  I believe that we have a blessed life.  I had the opportunity to go to Encenada Mexico for a humanitarian aid trip couple years ago.  A group of us went over there to lend our hands to help build a home for a family.  This family lived on a mountain under pieces of wood and boards!!  Everything they have can be seen within a 9 square feet.  Some people don't have much, but are very grateful for what they have.

This past August a dozen of us went to L'viv, Ukraine.  We were there to spend time with kids in an English camp.  We taught English, socialized with the kids (age 16 to 28), showed them North American football, sang, praised the Lord etc.  We also were able to spend time at children orphanages, kid prison, etc.  The last few days of our journey we went to the Carpathian Mountains and delivered food hampers.  The village is poor.  It reminded me of some villages I visited when I was 6-7 years old.  What was neat was when we were dropping off food, one lady offered us they last loaf of bread!!  Of course we declined but our associate/translator said it is a pleasure and blessing for them to give and we should take it.

So anyways, I like to point out that we have it good.  The friends we met in Ukraine don't make much money.  A gal we met had to save up a long time to get a modem.  Not many have computers.  $50 US lasted us a long time there, but it's an amount that take them a great deal of time to earn.

deaconbill

Awards
Great post!  It is for this same reason, gratitude, that I began BBing after twentyfive years behind a desk leading a lazy lifestyle.  With all we have going for me, why was I letting my body slip away?  So I got up off my butt and began to get in shape.  Now I feel twenty years younger and I am anxious to get out and help someone who is struggling in their life.  Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

harrymario

Awards
An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this.