Just a late night rant...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Is anybody else up at 1:30am doing homework? God, it sucks, doesn't it?

I'm not doing 'hard' work, but, graphing logarithmic functions by hand, and finding 'assymtotes, inflection points, extremums, etc' can get very drawn out, tedious, and boring. Right around now, its taking me 3x longer to do this work than it should be b/c I keep making stupid mistakes with eyes half-open. So yeah....goin' to bed now. I've got to be up in a few hours to take a CPR certification... *sigh*

K, bed time. C ya.

:burger: <-- eat first

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Is anybody else up at 1:30am doing homework? God, it sucks, doesn't it?

I'm not doing 'hard' work, but, graphing logarithmic functions by hand, and finding 'assymtotes, inflection points, extremums, etc' can get very drawn out, tedious, and boring. Right around now, its taking me 3x longer to do this work than it should be b/c I keep making stupid mistakes with eyes half-open. So yeah....goin' to bed now. I've got to be up in a few hours to take a CPR certification... *sigh*

K, bed time. C ya.

:burger: <-- eat first
graphing logs, ass infections, pointing extremities?? sounds wierd..

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
he's no devil. he just lives in devil town. kwyck is too smart for the corps. what's your major again brutha?
he wants to be a doctor...(yippêe for mêe!!!! lol).....

im sorry you had a bad night hun :(

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Are you taking College Algebra?
Calc II...I should have done this loooong ago, but I kept opting out of math for quite a few semesters....bad move. Now I've got to finish all my math and my workload is much higher now. Oh well, I did it to myself.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Awesome!

Besides, Kwycke is too much of a wuss to withstand the Corps.
True...the only time you'll see me associated with the word 'corps[e]' will be in a newspaper article about a serial necropheliac... :sick: Did I just say that out loud? Damn...did it again!

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
Check out Mathematica. It's a little expensive, but it's worth it if you have much more math to take. I'm working on my MS in Math and it has been worth every penny.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Calc II...I should have done this loooong ago, but I kept opting out of math for quite a few semesters....bad move. Now I've got to finish all my math and my workload is much higher now. Oh well, I did it to myself.
Cal II was a bitch even if it taken by itself...
And Mathmatica is some good software

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
hmm...I'll take a look at that....thx for the info!

Hasn't been too bad so far, but, its just all the trig that sucks. when you've not really used it in over a year, it creates problems :sick:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Getting my hands on a 'trial version' ;) as we speak :D

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Thx bro, i appreciate it.

i didin't know they actually offered a 'trial version' on their website, but i just saw that in the link you gave me...i guess, it would be more correct to say i've got a 'backup copy' on the way, b/c its not actually a 'trial version' :D

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
Mathematica is some freakin' awesome software. I've got a notebook I can shoot you where I was working on Cubic Roots. Some ideas on finding the extrema and inflection points along with some good visuals when plotting. Here is a pic of one of the graphs.

Attachments

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Nice, bro...My download just finished...is it easy enough to learn to be useful for helping me in my test in a couple days? I don't have a calc book, and the xerox @ the library broke, so I got put behind 5 sections! haha.

I really know 'nothing' about mathematica right now, other than you guys recommended I look into it...so, anything and everything you've got for me is much appreciated :D

thx again!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Hey, how did you tell the program to define those points? I'm playing around with it, and haven't quite figured that out yet :D Thx!

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
Shoot me a problem and what solutions you need. I can work an example and send you the notebook.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Oh, no need to go out of your way bud. I did a little bit of research, and, its not 'that' necessary for me at the moment to have those cool little extra features, ya know? It seemed like it would be convenient, but after reviewing how much code goes into it, its not worth it right now since it was 'just for fun' so to speak.

I do have one question though...when I solve for x in an equation (looking for critical points) I often get multiple points, of course. Now, how do I assign those pionts to different variables so I can later plug them in to solve for their corresponding y value?

thx!

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
I've attached a zipped notebook. All you have to do is plug in the original equation and then evaluate the rest of the cells. plot1 has a range of -5,5 so you may have to change that depending on what you are working with. Hope this helps.

Attachments

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Thx bro, I appreciate it....I'll keep foolin' with it, this thing is pretty cool :D

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Oh, so lame. I didn't sleep well the night before my first test (got to bed around 5:00am) and I totally 'blanked' out.

I got stuck, twice, on simple substitutions during integration by parts questions, e.g.

I=Integral[ x / Sqrt[1-x^2]]dx
Let U=1-x^2, dU=-2xdx
I=1/2[-2Sqrt[1-x^2]dx

= -Sqrt[1-x^2]

Yeah, simple substitution right? Yeah, I know...lol. I also decided I need to invest in a graphing calculator. I see all of these kids who have all of the formulas either programed into or saved into their graphing calcs, and they can check their derivatives, integrals, graphs, etc while I have to guess. Best case 'possible' I'd get a 90%, but I think that'd be pushing it. I'm probably on B/C range on this test, all because I got caught up with a simple substitution problem--something I could easily answer / should have easily answered. The bummer is, the partial credit will be next to nothing because it was in an integration by parts question. So, I was basically on step 2/5 or so. lol.

Then, I went to a public speaking class afterward, and I couldn't even speak. I'm not shy either, and I've got experience in public speaking (small groups). Its amazing what a lack of sleep will do to you. wow...

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
I know what you mean about the lack of sleep. I'm the type that I'd rather get in bed around 9:00pm and get up super early to study rather than stay up late. I don't function well at all when I stay up late (no pun intended).

Check out the TI-89. I love it.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Let me know if you need any help with Calculus 2.

I will tell you though that Calculus 2 gets easier as the time goes by.

The TI-89 Titanium is a must own if you ask me.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, so far, I don't think there is much I couldn't answer with the material we've covered, but the lack of sleep made things pretty horrendous for me. I didn't even feel like me...

TI-89, eh? I've heard its a good one. I may have to buy it some time here.

Thx for the help/input guys.

I've actually been using mathematica to do homework in :D My hand writing is very sloppy, and therefore I sometimes lose my place (maybe sometimes is an understatement), so using it makes things very nice! Only, I've found myself using Log[x] in place of Ln[x] outside of mathematica...that wouldnt' go over well on a test :think:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Okay, I've got one...I keep getting the wrong answer on this.

Note: Log[A] = ln(a); I wrote it inside mathematica and it reads Log[A] as ln[a].

The correct answer should be
Log[e^x + Sqrt(4+e^2x)]+C, so I'm either adding a factor of 1/2 or missing a factor of 2 before I get it into log form (or maybe in the back substitution)...

any help is appreciated.thx, km00

Last edited:
rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
I'll have to print this out and have a closer look.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Thx bud...I'm just STUCK.

O/T: I've taken time off from my math courses prior to this class, and previously never paid much attention to trigonometry during my classes, and I cannot believe how much trig there is and how many identities i need to recognize so far in calc ii. So, I've had to spend a lot of time familiarizing myself with them....*snore*

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I "think" I figured it out. I"ll try it later and check myself. But, I 'believe' I messed up when i substitued x/a = tan[v], if I substitute x=a tan[v] (yes, I know its the same) I shouldn't mess up my back-substitution. i can't figure out where i messed up, so I figure I'll go around ;)

I'll try it after i eat.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Okay! That didn't do it for me iether! same exact result! GRRRRR!

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I tried looking at it too. I thought maybe your trigonometry substitutions were off but they were right.

Besides, wouldn't ln(x) cancel out e^x?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I evaluated my answer and the the integral in mathematica and teh difference was ZERO, so my answer must be correct...

I think since the division by two yields a -Ln[2] that may just alther the C value, since -Ln[2] is simply a subtracted constant. I looked in the book and their general formula for an answer with my original questions format gave the same answer, so maybe they just used the general format, and the only difference would bet he C value were we to solve for it...

So, I guess I got it right? lol...I hate simplified book answers!!!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Here is the mathematica simplified version of the derivative of both my answer and the books answer....exactly the same as the original form.

Last edited:
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Good job man!! As far as remembering the trig indentities and so forth, I've attached a couple cheat sheets I found on the web that may help.
Thx, rhunt...i appreciate it ;)

My result makes perfect sense now that I think about it. ln[2] is a constant (~0.69), so when you evaluate the integral it disappears (+0.69 - 0.69 == 0). Aside from that, it does nothing other than modify the C-value were we to solve for it.

Here is a cheat sheet I found yestarday. As long as we're swapping ideas and information, I might as well contribute ;) (Its zipped twice...once for .rar compression, then again so I can upload it here....zip only at am.com)

Last edited: