Best way to quit smoking....

Whats the best way to quit smoking(cost doesn't matter)

• Total voters

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey guys my sister has decided she definitly wants to quit smoking and she is trying to figure out what type of treatment would be best.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Any time she tries to smoke, punch her in the mouth. She'll quit :)

Rkstr

Awards
When she really wants to quit she will and will never stumble. She'll put them behind her just like an X-lover. It's when she quits to try to please another that makes it hard.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I'd tried several ways. Changing brands, tapering off, the patch, gum, but nothing worked. So I applied some things that I learned somewhere else, and asked God to give me the strength to not pick up a cigarette. I've been a non-smoker now since August 22 of last year.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Other; stop buying, throw them all out. Don't put anything that is on fire in your mouth. Nicorrette, as necessarry, drink a glass of water each time you crave. Get a support group....

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I smoked for 30 years. Never wanted to quit. Tried once about 5 years ago due to a "challenge", it lasted two weeks. Then about 3 years ago I decided I really wanted to stop and get into better shape. I through a opened pack away and have not had a smoke since. Joined a gym a few days after that, and have been getting up at 4am everyday to go workout. When someone is ready to quit, they will.

If not, I agree with TheCrownedOne, punchem in the mouth!

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I smoked for 30 years I loved to smoke I used to smoke newports and somtimes would break the filter off just to get more of a kick.I did want to quit but understood I enjoyed smoking..I planned a time to get mentally ready I picked the great american smokeout in November I did use the patch which did help but I was mentally ready and the thought of picking up a cig was a defeat..It has been over 2 years and i have not had a drag off a butt...Good luck, bottom line you really got to want to and the patch will help but it will not do it for you..

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Put up those disturbing images of dead smokers lungs all over your house... (and punch her in the mouth)

and yes... she has to want to stop for herself.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Don't start in the first place. :nono: That always seemed to work for me. :D

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
cold turkey is probably best, the physical addiction is relatively minor compared to the psychological.

As far as chemical aids go, the abstinence after 6 month success rates I've seen are

Patch and gum - 4%
Wellbutrin - 25%
Wellbutrin + patch or gum - 52%

There's a controversial, but IMO, very plausible argument for people who are so addicted to cigarettes to switch to dip or patch/gum for nicotine maintence instead since they can't completley quit. Some people are so heavily hooked that they will never stop. Nicotine is bad for the cardiovascular system, it's a good appetite suppressent, mood enhancer and nootropic, and nicotine alone is very health preferable to the 200 or so chemicals that are inhaled in an american cig.

satchmo23

Awards
I found that the best way to quit is of course just stop right away. But the trick I found was to not build up to it, not set a date and tick off on a calendar every smoke free day. Don't even announce it to everyone just flow into it like it was a normal event. Too much pressure makes you think way too much about it.

Just on impulse one day say this is it and be done with it. Quitting drinking for a little while helps. And also if you do fall off the wagon it is a hell of alot easier to get back on the next time.

It's just my opinion but I've always found making large changes in my life always turned out more successful by going on impulse and not planning. I'm sure it's different for everyone though.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You have to want to quit, alot of the reasoning why I got into this (Anabolic Minds) in the first place. I had great luck with the patch and working out. But I really wanted to quit too.

Cold

Awards
My girl recently quit smoking. Just help her try to avoid the temptation to smoke. Also, plenty of gum(not just nicotine gum) helps. About once a month my girl has a ciggarette, but then she always feels like ****, and regrets it afterwards.

I chewed for a couple of months and just quit cold turkey. No withdrawals or anything. I guess I'm just lucky.

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
Well thanks for all the help guys. I showed her this thread and she was like well I need the extra help. So she is going with the shot.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
So I applied some things that I learned somewhere else, and asked God to give me the strength to not pick up a cigarette. I've been a non-smoker now since August 22 of last year.
Same deal here.

Made a decision to turn my ENTIRE life over to the CARE of God as I understand him. Actual happened during a traditional Lakota Sioux sweat lodge. 3 days later I put a little faith in he who saved me from a fate worse than death and on April 12 it will be 7 years smoke free.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Quitting is a real bitch. If I had the money I'd just pay Chuck Norris to follow me around and kick me in the head every time I got the urge to light up. That way I'd have much bigger problems than nicotine withdrawl.

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
is that your gto in the picture? I have an 05 like my avatar.

King Nothing

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I found that the best way to quit is of course just stop right away. But the trick I found was to not build up to it, not set a date and tick off on a calendar every smoke free day. Don't even announce it to everyone just flow into it like it was a normal event. Too much pressure makes you think way too much about it.

Just on impulse one day say this is it and be done with it. Quitting drinking for a little while helps. And also if you do fall off the wagon it is a hell of alot easier to get back on the next time.

It's just my opinion but I've always found making large changes in my life always turned out more successful by going on impulse and not planning. I'm sure it's different for everyone though.

So true, I was tired of havin to spit all the time and clear my throat constantly. I got sick for the second time in like a month and said this is it, starting right now, no more. and i stuck to it. You have to want to quit, if your girl doesn't want to, I doubt anything could do much to help her out. How does a shot help? What's in it?

-bman-

Awards
i quit after about 7 years pack a day during the week 2 a day on the weekends.....cold turkey is the only way, you need to have had enough of the smoking outside in the cold, coughing, paying ridiculous amounts of cash, smelling like sh*t, hackin flem up and the such it also helps to watch your grandmother rot in front of you on her deathbed while the cancers spreads rapidly all over her....morbid yes but it does the trick, if she drinks thats not going to help with the quitting either. she just has to stick with it, good luck to her, its worth it, ive quit for two years now and it great being able to walk up 10 stairs and not be winded lol .....oh and some say its better to quit on a monday even though i think its better to quit now, psychologically they say its easier to begin the week quitting i dunno, the main factor is she has to rally want to stop if she does it will actually work....

-bman-

Awards
oh and my other grandmothher has done the shot the gun the laser and has spent a ton of money on it, shes still smoking like a chimney, i think she may have tryed the hipnotist bullsh*t too ,

Spartan117

Awards
I dipped for over 10 yrs, and have not dipped for the last three years. Cold turkey does work, but what I found that was tough was not the chemical part of it, but the routines that developed from it; a dip after meals, at nite before bed, etc. I consciously altered those routines so that I would not be thinking about a dip. Instead of a dip after a meal I would auomatically pop a stick of gum. Good luck to her.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My parents were both smokers for 25 years+ and both kicked the habit using drug therapy with Zyban. I was very proud of both of them, particularly my father, who was a 2 pack a day smoker for all of his adult life. The hardest part for him afterwards was the actual physical act of smoking once the cravings were over. The pantry at my parents house ended up looking like a dentyne factory!

Sadly he still succumbed to lung cancer some 7 years later. It might have been stopped had it been found sooner, but that's another story altogether. The sooner one stops smoking the better!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i smoked for a few years. and you know what got me out? MY LOVE FOR FITNESS!!!! honestly, if i didn't want to be as fit as possible, i would still smoke, as it's relaxing/enjoyable to fulfill an addiction.

but since fitness is a stronger addiction, and the addiction of smoking is counter-productive to it, smoking is just naturally cancelled out. GET HER IN THE GYM, ON THE YOGA MAT, ON THE STAIR-STEPPER, WHATEVER, GET HER BLOOD PUMPING AND GET HER MOTIVATED TO HAVE A NEW ADDICTION.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Nicotine is out of your body in 72 hours...

anything after that is purely mental addiction.

cold turkey works, if you want it to

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
go to a hospital and visit someone who has lost a lung to cancer....

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Chantix.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I'd tried several ways. Changing brands, tapering off, the patch, gum, but nothing worked. So I applied some things that I learned somewhere else, and asked God to give me the strength to not pick up a cigarette. I've been a non-smoker now since August 22 of last year.
This and the cold turkey method. Everytime I would have a craving I would repeat over and over "I f*ckin hate smoking, it's disgusting" that and praying. Faith goes a long way...