Anyone know about hair drug tests?

stuffperson

Awards
If I were applying for a position at a hospital, and this hospital were to perform hair testing, wondering if anyone can fill in some info here - internet searches are coming up empty handed.
The hospital has a no tobacco-use policy, and they do a hair test to test for tobacco use (which i'm sure they go ahead and run the hair sample through the gamut for drugs as well, info i found said it could even detect steroid use due to "disproportionate T:E ratios") - i'm not so much worried about drugs here, i would come up positive for opiate use in december but i had surgery then and still have the script for the percocets. I've used ephedra twice in the past month, but I've never had it show up as positive on a drug test (anyone had this happen?). I am not a smoker, but used to smoke about 1/2-1pack/day throughout the year of 2001 and then quit - result was that when I drink alcohol nowadays, i still get the craving for a cigarette. Before I considered applying for this job, I had smoke a cigarette new years night and dipped once about a week later. For the 1.5 inches of hair i've got, i'd definately get 2 uses worth of nicotine to show I would think... just wondering if anyone knows how precise hair testing is, or if there is a cut off amount, as in they allow a very low level but report positive for a certain amount or above. Any input would be appreciated.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do know that the tests are hideously expensive, even when I was a candidate for a couple police officer jobs, they never did them to me. I did have one done once, though, for a position involving much more than just police work, I am afraid I can't get into it. Nobody ever told me the results, I assume I had passed, but I also know I had definitely used supplements either related to cutting (could have been clen, ECA stack, or whatever) or bulking (only PHs at that stage of my life)...still I assume I passed because I got the role I wanted!

stuffperson

Awards
Right on.

Bump to see if anyone knows about the nicotine concern.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Mine is with steroids, well prednosone.....being on a high dose for lupus, and i get drug tested randomly for school, and having my CDL( limo/bus/ambulance driver)......I always say that I am on and show my script and why I have it...thats peeing in the cup and the breathilizer as well.....

Good question, but 2inches, isent it short enough? I would think...

good luck

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Can jobs turn away applicants who smoke? Surely they can't control what you do in your free time?

Could you argue that you were a passive smoker? I don't smoke but clubs/bars are sometimes really bad and being a passive smoker might be worse since they don't have a cig filter.

Some info-
http://www.drugtestingnetwork.com/hair-testing.htm

If your scalp hair isn't long enough, they pluck from the pubic area. Just kidding.

winsome90

winsome90

Awards
You know this is alittle confusing. As the hospital has a no tobacco rule are you understanding this correctly. Why would they test you for something that is not illegal. No tobacco rule to me means, no tobacco use on the job.

stuffperson

Awards
The no tobacco policy is about the hospital's insurance primarily, the rest seems to be nitpicking. You know when you get health insurance, its usually a lot cheaper if you mark that you aren't a smoker/drinker? Same deal for their insurance... by only hiring nonsmokers, hospital saves a few bucks.