Vh1's top metal bands or some such...

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I just got done watching Vh1's top 100 heavy metal bands or something. Some of them were weird choices. Living Colour was rated over Lynyrd Skynyrd? UFO? Never heard of them. And that got me thinking what, to you, are the greatest Hard Rock bands?

I won't put them in order because I don't feel quilified to do it. But here's my eleven

Lynyrd Shynyrd
KISS
Led Zepplin
Van Halen
AC/DC
The Who
Guns and Roses
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Jimi Hendrick
Black Sabbeth.

Now I know people like different things, esp. music. But some people shouldn't even be allowed to speak. Theres this guy with a blog that goes through the list. There's like one or two thing a think he's right about but most...
here's the link:
http://moonagewebdream.blogs.com/moonage_webdream/2005/05/vh1_greatest_10.html

Nirvana over rated!!! :rofl:

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Living Color was a nod to the lest represented part of the heavy metal bunch and for the most part they were a ground breaking band due to the fact that they were all black.... UFO were one of those groups that were an influence on other bands that came after them..

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Yeah. I thought the samething about Living Colour. I had never heard of UFO before.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
UFO was actually a pretty good band - but I don't think they would eclipse the top 100. I seem to recall that they were plagued by personnel issues (but on that I may be thinking of Golden Earing).

UFO had some decent hits, such as "Doctor, Doctor", "Lights Out" and "Too Hot to Handle".

T

tattoopierced1

I just got done watching Vh1's top 100 heavy metal bands or something. Some of them were weird choices. Living Colour was rated over Lynyrd Skynyrd? UFO? Never heard of them. And that got me thinking what, to you, are the greatest Hard Rock bands?

I won't put them in order because I don't feel quilified to do it. But here's my eleven

Lynyrd Shynyrd
KISS
Led Zepplin
Van Halen
AC/DC
The Who
Guns and Roses
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Jimi Hendrick
Black Sabbeth.

Now I know people like different things, esp. music. But some people shouldn't even be allowed to speak. Theres this guy with a blog that goes through the list. There's like one or two thing a think he's right about but most...
here's the link:
http://moonagewebdream.blogs.com/moonage_webdream/2005/05/vh1_greatest_10.html

Nirvana over rated!!! :rofl:
I'd have to put in Metallica over Guns N Roses... I agree about the Nirvana thing...I was shocked they were in the top 20.... ;)

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to put in Metallica over Guns N Roses... I agree about the Nirvana thing...I was shocked they were in the top 20.... ;)
Nirvana RULES!!!!! LOL

But as for Nirvana they did changed the way people listened to music. I remeber when they came out in '91-'92 and EVERYBODY was blown away. People were like "Waaaa". You can even listen to interviews by alot of big bands in the '80's and they will all same the samething when asked about Nirvana" Totally changed music".

I think alot of younger guys don't understand how big they were when "Smells like teen spirit" started to be played. Until then hairbands ruled suburbs but Nirvana ended all of that.

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
well the same could be said about the impact that Metallica had on metal when they first came out.. they changed the way that metal was played

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
well the same could be said about the impact that Metallica had on metal when they first came out.. they changed the way that metal was played
True. But Nirvana influenced almost every form of popular music, since they came out. Rap, pop, and all the others have Nirvana influence.

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
so did Metallica.. trust me Nirvana wasn't the first time that sliced bread was invented...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so did Metallica.. trust me Nirvana wasn't the first time that sliced bread was invented...
Metallica seemed to reach out to non-metal music fans as well...when Nirvana came out, pop music was so molded that ANYTHING with originality would make a huge impact. Also, people forget that Nirvana came in with several other bands with a similar sound, but when Metallica came out, there was nothing with the same power and feel. I also think that the fact that Kurt Cobain committed suicide helped to increase the appreciation for Nirvana. As great as Hendrix and the Doors were, the early deaths of Hendrix and Jim Morrison helped to elevate their status as music icons. When any artist dies young after a decent amount of success, the mainstream acceptance always increases.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Metallica seemed to reach out to non-metal music fans as well...when Nirvana came out, pop music was so molded that ANYTHING with originality would make a huge impact. Also, people forget that Nirvana came in with several other bands with a similar sound, but when Metallica came out, there was nothing with the same power and feel. I also think that the fact that Kurt Cobain committed suicide helped to increase the appreciation for Nirvana. As great as Hendrix and the Doors were, the early deaths of Hendrix and Jim Morrison helped to elevate their status as music icons. When any artist dies young after a decent amount of success, the mainstream acceptance always increases.
I see your point, but you weren't there. Your getting your opinions from reading an article or thinking about it in 2006 context. Everybody was raving about how great Nirvana was, when they were still putting out records.
And Matallica is a very good band. But ask most people, on the street if they can name a Matallica song. I don't think many people can. You ask them about Nirvana and they are going to know at least one song. I mean I can go down to SE DC, where there arn't any white people and ask some guy on the street about Nirvana and he can name a song. Matallica...I don't think so.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I see your point, but you weren't there. Your getting your opinions from reading an article or thinking about it in 2006 context. Everybody was raving about how great Nirvana was, when they were still putting out records.
And Matallica is a very good band. But ask most people, on the street if they can name a Matallica song. I don't think many people can. You ask them about Nirvana and they are going to know at least one song. I mean I can go down to SE DC, where there arn't any white people and ask some guy on the street about Nirvana and he can name a song. Matallica...I don't think so.
That's true, Nirvana did lead the charge for the
'Grunge' movement going into the 90's. Personally, I never liked them and thought most of their songs were pretty lame. As a guiter player with bands like Queensryche/Dream Theater/Maiden, etc being a big influence - to see 1 chord teenage-angst rock take the place of all my metal superheroes really pissed me off:)

Everybody credits Nirvana as changing the face of music, but the fact is they were just the most popular (and, as in most cases, the most popular isnt necessisarily the best!)
Bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, etc were excellent and posessed far more musical talent in one measure than in a whole album full of Nirvana tunes.

Im not knocking their contribution, just saying that they ARE way overrated. Not overrated for their influence on the music scene, but for the quality of their music, IMO. I do like a lot of David Grohl's work, however - so obviously some people in the band had some talent:)

No disrespect meant to Kurt' legacy, had the poor guy kept it together he probably would have released some decent material. People obviously identified with his message and my opinion aside, that's what its all about. His untimely death was indeed a tragic event.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
here's the link:
http://moonagewebdream.blogs.com/moo...eatest_10.html
That guy IS an idiot. Rush overrated? What was Pantera's contribution? Geez.:)

That list was kind of lame, it was more of a popularity contest than a list based on talent and accomplishment. I wont argue with Zepplin being #1 ROCK band ever, though.

BV

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
True about naming a song but I bet if you play the first bars of Enter Sandman every guy in the place knows exactly what band is on the speakers...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
True about naming a song but I bet if you play the first bars of Enter Sandman every guy in the place knows exactly what band is on the speakers...
Hell yeah:)

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
number one on my mp3 player :)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe those guys said this about Metallica
"This entry alone PROVES this poll was generated only by kids between the ages of 12-25. How in the hell can a serious purveyor of music consider Metallica greater than Ozzy Osborne, Motorhead, Van Halen, or for that matter, Aerosmith, The Who, or Lynyrd Skynyrd? For that matter, Metallica isn't even Hard Rock. Metallica isn't Top anything. They suck." :rolleyes:

Metallica is the greatest ! Their trademark 6-7 minute songs just absolutely rock, Hetfield's lyrics are amazing and their sound is historic. Imagine how much better things would have turned out if Cliff Burton never died, nothing against Robert Trujillo or Jason Newstead but Burton was a better basist.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Metallica is the greatest ! Their trademark 6-7 minute songs just absolutely rock, Hetfield's lyrics are amazing and their sound is historic. Imagine how much better things would have turned out if Cliff Burton never died, nothing against Robert Trujillo or Jason Newstead but Burton was a better basist.
I really dont like much of their work after 'The Black Album' - but everything prior is truly legendary.

BV

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really dont like much of their work after 'The Black Album' - but everything prior is truly legendary.

BV
I often wonder what Metallica would be like today if Cliff was still alive. He was the driving force behind the attitude and edge of the music.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

BV
Me too, they really seemed to have hit their worst point with St.Anger :( hopefully they'll redeem themselves.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Metallica is so ruined for me. They had that MTV triubute a year or two ago and I wanted to kill myself it was so lame. Ocassionaly I can pull out And Justice for ALL and enjoy it, but I really can't stand much more than that. We worked the Sanitarium tour 3 years ago and they BUTCHERED "One." They may have even done a mantage(sp?). I will never look at them the same again. It's not that I don't respect their place in music, I just can't listen to them anymore.

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I think all the infighting between Lars and James did some of the later stuff a major injustice. I did like some of the stuff from Garage.. The remake of Whiskey in a Jar is not bad... but The Black Album seemed to be the high note for the time being..

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I dont think they'll do anything groundbreaking again, honestly. Their era is over - its kind of like Queensryche - everything after 'Promised Land' just didnt have any substance at all.

Who knows though...

BV

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont think they'll do anything groundbreaking again, honestly. Their era is over - its kind of like Queensryche - everything after 'Promised Land' just didnt have any substance at all.

Who knows though...

BV
As Tenacious D says, "You just can't manufacture inspirado."