how many of you drink and/or smoke regularly...?

bhoke

Awards
and how does it affect your diet ?

myself i smoke about a pack a day and drink regularly on weekends , now i really don't know how it affects my performance cause i've done it for as long as i can remember .

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I confess that I am a fine beer afficionado, I enjoy trying rare microbrews, mainly the two extreme ends of the spectrum (pale ale and stout/porter). I only indulge one day a week, if that much.

And once in a while I smoke a clove cigarette when I am with a friend of mine who smokes them.

lightweight

Awards
1st off welcome to the boards. Second if you want to be healthy you should quit smoking and really cut down on alcohol consumption, especially if you seriously considering using sd http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabolics/39575-stacking-methyl-1p-w-superdrol.html . Sd and alcohol = liver damage:hammer: . You wont find many ppl on here that smoke a pack a day, body building and smoking just dont mix. Drinking is a different animal i drink when im off cycle moderatly.Never when using orals.

bhoke

Awards
1st off welcome to the boards. Second if you want to be healthy you should quit smoking and really cut down on alcohol consumption, especially if you seriously considering using sd http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabolics/39575-stacking-methyl-1p-w-superdrol.html . Sd and alcohol = liver damage:hammer: . You wont find many ppl on here that smoke a pack a day, body building and smoking just dont mix. Drinking is a different animal i drink when im off cycle moderatly.Never when using orals.
agree with you whole heartedly , im working up to quitting smoking , not exactly the easiest thing in the world , and as for drinking i think i'll hold on to that for a while , but thanks for the reply

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Neither for me.
I used to do all kinds of stuff, but in order to maximize my results those 2 things (along with other things) were given up.

I don't really have the "addictive" personality gene thing though, so I just stopped one day.

I think it's best to stop if you want to maximize your health and performance.
It just depends on what your goals are.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately beer is not anabolic, tobacco is the most addictive substance known to man, but may not affect muscle growth, beer does have a negative affect on muscle growth and should be avoided while training, although I have met many lifters who indulge in both. For optimum growth all intoxicants should be avoided. I seldom drink and if I do its a 1-2 drink limit when training.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I don't drink or smoke, but I do have a dip every other day. Sometimes it takes my hunger craving away but it's just a habit that I picked up from baseball. Good thing it doesn't have an effect on muscle growth.

Spartan117

Awards
I usually drink on the weekends and occasionally a cigar (Acids). I know beer has negative affects on my body in terms of bf%. Maybe not so much because of the beer, I drink Miller lite, but the fact I usually eat bad foods after I've been drinking. Plus, I usually feel pretty dehydrated after drinking.

King Nothing

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I usually drink on the weekends and occasionally a cigar (Acids). I know beer has negative affects on my body in terms of bf%. Maybe not so much because of the beer, I drink Miller lite, but the fact I usually eat bad foods after I've been drinking. Plus, I usually feel pretty dehydrated after drinking.
That's cuz alcohol dehydrates :icon_lol:

As for smoking, STOP IT! It's not hard to stop if you actually want to, at least I didn't think it was. I was up to a pack a day, realized it was unhealthy, and within a few weeks cut down to 5-10 a day. I got really sick one night so I couldn't smoke anyway while I was sick cuz that's just stupid to hurt your throat anymore than it already is damaged. Plus, I had just signed up with the best personal trainer out there and was about to start my plan. I wanted a new me and I wasn't about to do anything to bring me down from my goals so I never smoked again.
I will tell you, it felt good to be off and I didn't get bad headaches like one of my friends said he got when he tried to stop. I'd get really hot out of nowhere but that was about it. I also stayed sick for a few weeks after I quit so I researched it and found that alot of people are sick for a few weeks after they quit while theyre body adjusts to havin to do the work on it's own again. Cigarettes cause the body to dump glucose into the blood and inhibit insulin so it makes you hyperglycemic, not somthing you want if you wanna get big or lose fat. Plus you don't digest food very well either if your a smoker. How do you expect to grow if your not getting the proper nutrients out of your stomach and gut and into your body?
So, it's ultimately up to you, make up a new routine and get a whole new proper diet and tell yourself that your gonna stick to it and not let the cigs bring you down. I hang out every day with friends that smoke, but once you see that you are transforming, you'll know why you quit and you can secretly laugh at your friends while they inhale cigarette smoke, talking about how soon, they are gonna start workin out, and get toned and ripped, and take steroids to get there. (maybe this only applies to me, lol) But oh you'll know the truth, you can do that easily by quitting the smoking, workin out right, eating right(this is the hardest thing in the world to actually get right IMHO), and getting plenty of sleep. You don't need no stinkin steroids, man! Not unless you've reached your genetic limit

Sorry i kinda went off on this crazy rant towards the end there. Bottom line, get off the cigs cuz you can't do both. They are 2 different lifestyles that don't mix

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I used to, but now all my booze and cig money goes to my supplement habit...

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
i have a few brews on the weekend, and maybe a couple of glasses of red wine during the week w/ the lady. but def. cut back on the alcohol. was more of a social smoker, but cut that out completely. now if you give me a nice cigar, i'll smoke that and enjoy it thoroughly. i still keep a few in my little humidor.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink and smoke heavily. :sick:

the improvement in sense of well-being is ridiculous, and makes you kick yourself for wasting so much time feeling like ****.

That being said, I still drink and smoke occassionally. I don't think 3 cigarettes per month is going to do any damage. I don't enjoy getting drunk anymore, so I usually keep it to 1-3 drinks, and I don't even do that every week. It is just not worth it. Every once in a while I'll get into a vicious match of Beiruit and drink 12 beers. Holidays are another exception where I'll drink more than usual.

If you're gonna do it, stick to dark beers and red wine.

tattoopierced1

I too used to drink and smoke regularly. 1.5 packs per day for years, quit cold turkey, havent touched one in over 3 years. I only drink once per year too, on my birthday. Neither was hard to quit, although I am a very strong willed person.

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
I drink about 2x's a month off cycle. Im a college student and its hard not to every once and a while.

I do smoke some pot though.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
When quitting smoking and feeling the urge to give in to and smoke, I find it helpful to ask myself if I am really such a pathetically weak invertebrate that I need to suck on this carcinogenic little phallus...

That usually works. Now, I can smoke an occassional cigarette at a party without worries of starting again. It is as if I've conquered my highly addictive personality.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
and how does it affect your diet ?

myself i smoke about a pack a day and drink regularly on weekends , now i really don't know how it affects my performance cause i've done it for as long as i can remember .
I guess you will have to stop to find out.

Smoking negatively effects multiple systems within your body: cardiovascular, pulmonary, metabolic, sensory...

Excess Etoh consumed regularly will also effect your body's basic functions.

The question you should be asking is how does it help your performance. If it doesn't drop it.

I never had good success with alcohol or drugs. I always wind up homeless, friendless, and penniless. Performance was always the last of my concerns. I finished up weighing in @ 138lbs, tore up from the floor up.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
lol....off topic...but i love your fireman quote in your sig. johnny:D

my grandpa smoked a pack of cig.s a day and started when he was 12....now he has half of one lung....and still smokes (but less....). please stop smoking. life is to precious to end it quicker voluntarily

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I dip a couple of cans/week. Don't smoke, but I bounce at a bar 3 nights/week and wake up with my entire respiratory and sinus systems jacked to hell. I drink maybe a sixer's worth of beer once every 3 months or so for celebrations or whatever, and have an occasional beer for a headache or anxiety every once in awhile. Other than Irish cream or Sambucca, or the like, in my coffee for the same reason as my occasional beer, I haven't touched any hard stuff in nearly 2 years.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I'll have a few drinks on special ocassions. A good friend I hadn't seen in quite awhile stopped by this afternoon and we had a couple of Mojito's. Before today, it had been about two months since I had a drink. I can take it or leave it. It keeps me from eating as much as I should. As far as smoking goes, don't even light up around me. I'll hurt your feelings.