Some Good Thinking Movies

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
My lady friend wanted to come over tonite and catch a movie w/ me :woohoo:

I was talking to her and she wanted to catch a "thinking" movie. I thought about Lord of War and A Beautiful Mind. Any other suggestions? Nothing too deep, just something to keep the ol' brain stimulated.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Lord of War? A thinking movie.... it's Nick Cage bro... :blink: j/k.

How about Good Will Hunting? Shawshank Redemption, although they have been playing it alot on TNT so she might have already caught it recently.

Matrix --- have to say that gets you thinking.

Beautiful Mind is also a good choice.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
For what its worth Memento and Donnie Darko are two of my favorite movies of that kind.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
For what its worth Memento and Donnie Darko are two of my favorite movies of that kind.
Both are pretty "deep" tho, wouldn't you say?

Especially DD. What a trippy underground movie.

I guess you could say Matrix is pretty deep if you haven't seen it before, but every time I watch it I pick something else up... so it might fit the bill if it has already been seen.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Pulp Fiction baby! Always makes me think. :D Monty Python: The Holy Grail, gotta think to get the humor. :)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Donnie Darko is a great film! K-PAX was a great one too. The movie 'Narc' is pretty deep visually.

You want a thinking movie? Check out "The Naked Lunch" or "Pi" (the math symbol)

One of my all time favorites is the movie 'Brazil' - awesome, thought provoking flick.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Crash is an excellent movie to consider. Lord of war is actually a good choice to. The thinking part is hidden under the smart ass gun dealer theme.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Crash is an excellent movie to consider. Lord of war is actually a good choice to. The thinking part is hidden under the smart ass gun dealer theme.
Crash.... excellent suggestion. Great movie of 05'.

Wouldn't put it in my top 10 but still worth a watch once or twice a year.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The Constant Gardener is very good, really requires your full attention to be able to follow the plot. It's fairly deep and dark subject matter but Ray Fiennes and Rachel Weiss are at their absolute best in this movie.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah Crash is great, Momento if you have a short attention span, u will miss out... Pi I dont know if a chick can get into that, not really going to set a good vibe for the night... SO overall i'd say a Beautiful Mind.

tiggermoon

tiggermoon

Awards
'tae guk gi'
'the story of qiu ju'
both excellent choices not just because they are foreign films, they also are great thinker's films.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Pi .. i've seen it 4 times and i'm still not sure i completely get it .. and to be honest i'm a pretty smart guy lol

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
go get romper stompers!! That will really make you start to think!!!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I agree on Memento, Donnie Darko and Brazil. I haven't seen Naked Lunch, but I've read it. William Burroughs is a deeply disturbed man..."the look of borrowed flesh" :sick"
I would add:
Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut
Apocalypse Now
I Heart Huckabees (lightheartedly serious...just like life)
What the Bleep Do We Know (Few people have the interest/attention for this, but if you dig Existentialism, Neuroscience, Quantum Theory, and Optimism, this is for you; these happen to be some of my favorite subjects :D )
Waking Life...

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Dead Man Walking
The Island
Hotel Rawanda
The Hurricane
On the Waterfront
Cool Hands Luke
Van Wilder

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
I've got the following in my collection already:

A Beautiful Mind
I Heart Huckabees
Momento

I think I'm gonna rent Crash and possibly Lord of War (prolly just to watch on my own, sounds like a good movie). I've seen Crash, but wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Thanks for the suggestions!

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
If you can do subtitles City of God is great. A lot of good suggestions so far guys.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Good suggestions, Some of these are not of happy endings, but cereberal none the less.

The most interesting movies I've seen lately would be Syriana, House of Sand and Fog ( a downer) and Brotherhood of the Wolf (not too deep, but interesting and beatifully filmed), Ronin's a thinking person's action flick and if you can fully understand what the architect tells Neo in Matrix Reloaded on the first pass, you're a pretty smart cookie.

superset2

thats my gf...2/14/06..enjoy
Awards
i watch a lot movies...some of my personal favs. in deep or just plain good movies are:

requiem for a dream
donnie darko (already said)
21 grams
American Psycho
Trainspotting
Reservoir Dogs
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Boondock Saints
fight Club
Vanilla Sky (alrady said)
momento (already said)
Pi (already said)
See Arnold Run (haha jk)

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Eyes Wide Shut gets a second vote, it can interlude right into the night....

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The acting in Eyes Wide Shut is pretty wooden IMO, but the subject matter is good.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind..I agree, this is another really good one. A beautiful little film and it's perfect for a date movie because it's romantic (not sappy) and touches upon a sort of Carpe Diem philosophy

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I'd also like to add Garden State. Subtle humor, and sort of a good date movie.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
If you can do subtitles City of God is great. A lot of good suggestions so far guys.
Agreed, this is one of the best movies I've seen in years. And it features some slammin' Brazilian women, though it could show more :D The craziest part about it is that it is based on reality, and doesn't seem to embellish at all.

Anyone who is intersted in the sociological aspects of City of God might like Bus 187. It provides an in-depth analysis of "Street Kids". We don't really see this here, but in the developing world there are thousands of abandoned kids who fend for themselves by stealing and dealing.

I know many people will cringe at the thought of this, but The Motorcycle Diaries is really good too. I don't agree with Che, but the movie provides insight into the experiences that made him go from upper middle class Med. student to guerrilla revolutionary.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The acting in Eyes Wide Shut is pretty wooden IMO, but the subject matter is good.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind..I agree, this is another really good one. A beautiful little film and it's perfect for a date movie because it's romantic (not sappy) and touches upon a sort of Carpe Diem philosophy
I think the acting is supposed to be wooden. That is the point. Their relationship is cold and mechanical, as are his pathetic attempts to get some on the side. It is based on a novel called Traumnovelle [sp?]. I think the author's name in Arnold Schnitzler...something like that. The novel was greatly admired by Sigmund Freud (a wacko, but a very smart man in his own right.)

wheystation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Defending your life - this older film with Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep. It's funny, but totally fascinating. The premise is that when you die, you go to this civil city where you must DEFEND your life..........try it.

Oh, there is another - called Happy Accidents with Marisa Tomei and the guy from Law & Order CI..........weird, but funny and has something for everyone.

It may be in the Sundance aisle..........next to Welcome to Doll House

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I agree that most of the movies suggested above are great films, but they are still mostly 'guy' movies. I run into this problem a lot with my wife. I think just because a move gets great reviews that she will like it. But, she usually doesn't get into movies with lots of guns, violence, etc.

Of the suggestions above, I'd go with "A Beautiful Mind" if she hasn't seen it yet.

You can't go wrong with a good movie with an actress she likes. In no way do I mean to generalize or disrespect women with that statement, but it's the same way most guys would love a great movie with Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, or Arnold.

Does she like Sandra Bullock? If she hasn't seen "28 Days" it is very thought provoking and meaningful.

If she likes Julia Roberts, "Conspiracy Theory" (with Mel Gibson) or "Ocean's Eleven" are 'thinking' movies you would both enjoy.

If you want to WIN MAJOR POINTS you could go for all-out Chick flicks like "Stepmom", "Runaway Bride", "My Best Friend's Wedding" or (gulp) "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." :blink:

“Lost in Translation” is a very smart film that I highly recommend. Oh, and you get a lot of nice shots of Scarlett Johansson’s ass as a bonus. :D
Along these lines- The Notebook is a total chic flic. But it does have one redeeming quality for guys-Rachel Mcadams.

Barry_Egan

Awards
Here's 3 of my favorite films...

Punch Drunk Love (Adam Sandler is Great in this role)
Adaptation
Sideways

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
The Wrecking Crew - 1969 (appeared in)
Return Of The Dragon - 1973 (feature film debut)
Breaker! Breaker! - 1976
Good Guys Wear Black - 1977
A Force Of One - 1978
The Octagon - 1979
An Eye For An Eye - 1980
Silent Rage - 1981
Forced Vengeance - 1981
Lone Wolf McQuade - 1982
Missing In Action - 1984
Missing In Action II: The Beginning - 1985
Code Of Silence - 1985
Invasion USA - 1985
Delta Force - 1986
Firewalker - 1986
Braddock: Missing In Action III - 1987
Hero And The Terror - 1988
Delta Force 2: Operation Stranglehold - 1990
The Hitman - 1991
Sidekicks - 1993
Hellbound - 1994
Top Dog - 1995
Forrest Warrior - 1995 (released on video only)

:D

Fight Club perhaps?

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, this is one of the best movies I've seen in years. And it features some slammin' Brazilian women, though it could show more :D The craziest part about it is that it is based on reality, and doesn't seem to embellish at all.

Anyone who is intersted in the sociological aspects of City of God might like Bus 187. It provides an in-depth analysis of "Street Kids". We don't really see this here, but in the developing world there are thousands of abandoned kids who fend for themselves by stealing and dealing.

I know many people will cringe at the thought of this, but The Motorcycle Diaries is really good too. I don't agree with Che, but the movie provides insight into the experiences that made him go from upper middle class Med. student to guerrilla revolutionary.
O that reminds, have any of you guys seen KIDS. Another great flick.

Schwaugher

Awards
[SIZE=-1]The Manchurian Candidate
Man on Fire
A Beautiful Mind(listed many times)
Crash (already said)
Confidence (Similar to Ocean's 11)
K-Pax[/SIZE][SIZE=-1](already said)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Identity if you want a scary thinker
American History X
Shawshank Redemption
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1](already said)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Mystic River
The Usual Suspects
The Butterfly Effect

I haven't seen all of the movies other have listed but i liked these.
[/SIZE]

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
I liked City of God a lot. I'm Indian (dot not feather) and my mom's got a collection of Indian movies like whoa. I've gotten used to the subtitles (don't quite understand the dialect they use in some of the movies) being at the bottom, reading, and understanding the picture at the same time.

I don't think she'd go for City of God though.. just knowing her, she'd watch it, but wouldn't get the message behind it.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
"O that reminds, have any of you guys seen KIDS. Another great flick."

Yes, I do remember it but I gotta say..it must be the worst date movie ever. Think HIV, lol.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps too late, but some of the ones I like:

Fight Club - nihilism

2001: A Space Odessey - existentialism, superman ideas from FN, etc., evolution

The Silence of the Lambs - conflict between savage, senseless violence and society, both externally between the killer and Starling and also internally, Hopkins acting as a perfectly cultured murderer

Any episode of the Lord of the Rings actually has some deep themes in it, Tolkien being a pretty serious catholic there's a lot of such imagery and themeatic strings to be found. some romance too.

Gladiator - A movie that could easily have been a revenge/death wish type of thing turns into a semiromantic account of a man's desire to go home resulting in him bring an entire nation 'home' to its roots. Is Rome worth dying for, is your family, etc. Plus most women love Russel Crow as long as he's not near a phone.

Irish480

Awards
Boondock Saints, Snatch, Momento, Lock Stock two smoking barrels, Resevoir Dogs

tiggermoon

tiggermoon

Awards
clear cut
madadayo
i stand alone
irreversable

they are rather obscure, but check them out. you won't be disapointed.

or if you prefer surreal comedies
welcome to woop woop

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
12 Monkeys is still one of my old favorites. I think Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt are both hilarious in this movie.

insectgod

How may I help you today?
Awards
Mindwalk
My Dinner with Andre
Bully
The Seventh Seal
My Life as a Dog (this might get you some...cute movie)
Dark City
Slacker
Last Year at Marienbad
Zardoz
Slaughterhouse 5
ExistanZ
Blue Velvet
Fanny and Alexander (if you got 3 1/2 hours)
Anything directed by Eric Rohmer that came out before 1980 or so
The Decline of the American Empire & it's sequel The Barbarian Invasions
Repo Man
Liquid Sky
Dark Star
The Cars that Ate Paris
The Discrete Charm of the Bourgiouse
Un Chien Andalou
Solaris
Strange Days
THX - 1138
Demon Seed
Wild in the Streets
Zabriskie Point
La Vallee
More (similar to Requiem for a Dream, but much older)
Punishment Park
Knife in the Water
The Tenant
Repulsion
The Bed-Sitting Room
Tribes
Amelie
City of Lost Children
Altered States
Suspiria
The Devils

Heck, I could probably go on all day... I'm sure a lot of these might be difficult to find, but you might find them to be worth watching. :twisted:

insectgod

Awards
12 Monkeys is still one of my old favorites. I think Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt are both hilarious in this movie.
One of my recent favorites. I think I saw this on a deluxe edition that came with the original movie it was based on, La Jetee, which is worth watching and comparing to Gilliam's flick.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
For you Vanilla Sky fans, you may want to check out Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes). This is the original, done just a few years before, and it even stars Penelope Cruz :food:

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
white noise, micheal keaton, always makes me think...what if???

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
i saw white noise- def. kept me thinkin. my roommate at the time even looked up info on evp n' the such. kinda creepy move for sure.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Is White Noise a film version of the Don DeLilo novel? Is it about a father who is a prof. of Hitler studies, crazy, chemical induced sunsets, and a prematurely balding son?

insectgod

Awards
Is White Noise a film version of the Don DeLilo novel? Is it about a father who is a prof. of Hitler studies, crazy, chemical induced sunsets, and a prematurely balding son?
No, I think it's got Michael Keaton hearing the voice of his dead son on a shortwave radio.