Now they call me a quiter, as if a alcoholic/addict wasn't enough

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Now they call me a quiter, as if an alcoholic/addict wasn't enough

Hey Fellas,

Just wanted to share some words and a grateful thanks to you guys here at AnabolicMinds. Today is the anniversary of my 4 year sobriety date. It is also the anniversary of my first day of 8 months in the Department of Corrections for multiple felony DUI's.

Upon my release I began to travel down a new road in my life. A very big part of it was bodybuilding and nutrition. I discovered Avant Labs very shortly after my release and invested a lot of time in and on the board.

As I become more and more strong in my recovery I began to have a passion to share my testimony and witness about these matters of substance abuse and recovery. It caused me to begin to look outside of my previous home board to explore places that were more in line with my style. It was my hope that I could be a transparent individual, sharing my experiences with people hoping that maybe someone may find some hope for their own struggles.

I began to post here much more regularly. I began to share my knowledge about bodybuilding, supplements and nutrition, as limited as it may be, in hopes to find a fellowship with the memebers here. Then on a whim I took the chance to open up about the personal struggles and victories in my life. Low and behold, I was embraced by so many.

It remains a lifelong passion for me to be able to give back to others by sharing my experiences and the passion I have for witness in these areas of substance abuse. It is just a small thing I know, but being able to do so here on the board with some success has given me the optimism of the possibility of being able to do so in some sort of vocational capacity.

I especially would like to thank Bobo and Matt, for seeing something in me,in spite of myself, that was befitting the title of Board Moderator. An honor on more than a couple levels. And then again, to be even moreso flattered by Bobo with a promotion to Board Administrator. You guys have really been a huge boost to my self confidence and self-esteem in a really healthy way.

There are so many individuals young and old that are too many to thank by name. To those brothers of mine who struggled with and have been victorious over their addiction, I thank your for you fellowship and experinces. For those that I may have been a help to in any way, thank you, you have helped me more than you know.

I am unsure if I am able to capture the sentiment of how significant a part of my life being a board members has become to me. I just thought I would give it a try and thank you guys for letting me be a part of the community.

Thanks.

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.38%

Cheers (the sound of clinking protein shakes) to you.
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Congrats.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Congrats B... you have made a ton of steps in the right direction..
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.4%
    Achievements Posting Pro

It takes a strong person to overcome what you have. Continued success to you!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.81%

congrats brudda
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.07%

Congrats on the sobriety brother. Stay positive, stay focused, and good things will happen.
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.47%

9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.79%

Congrats on sobriety and admin status.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.03%

It is the membership who has gained by your presence here, Brother: you provide an essential element in the lives of men - that is, a strong, humble, principled example of one who keeps his eyes and his heart open in a world that constantly seeks to force them closed; one who is not puffed-up by his accomplishments but remains true to himself & mindful of the illusions that surround us; one whose experience of his own human frailty has replaced judgment & blame with understanding and compassion - not just for himself, but for all who still wander in fear, in self-doubt, in desperation, in darkness.

I know this because I see in you the transparency you have sought: you do not hide, you do not shirk, you do not minimise; this gives you a shining authenticity, and my spirit rings in recognition (as, I suspect, do others), for that same clarity/transparency is my own goal, and has been the royal road to great healing in my life.

I am profoundly grateful that our paths have crossed, and I count myself lucky that we both call AM home.

From the bottom of my heart - thank you for being here!

My respects to Bobo for an inspired choice
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.5%

Congrats, B
  12. dead sexy wino
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.15%

Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard
    It is the membership who has gained by your presence here, Brother: you provide an essential element in the lives of men - that is, a strong, humble, principled example of one who keeps his eyes and his heart open in a world that constantly seeks to force them closed; one who is not puffed-up by his accomplishments but remains true to himself & mindful of the illusions that surround us; one whose experience of his own human frailty has replaced judgment & blame with understanding and compassion - not just for himself, but for all who still wander in fear, in self-doubt, in desperation, in darkness.

I know this because I see in you the transparency you have sought: you do not hide, you do not shirk, you do not minimise; this gives you a shining authenticity, and my spirit rings in recognition (as, I suspect, do others), for that same clarity/transparency is my own goal, and has been the royal road to great healing in my life.

I am profoundly grateful that our paths have crossed, and I count myself lucky that we both call AM home.

You see this guy B? I know that he has drawn inspiration from you as have I and many others. You already know how I feel about your plight bitch You also know that it has also helped me in more ways than one. I'm blessed to be your friend and am looking forward to your future. Now get your ass into the garage Focker
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.95%

congrats on everything man pleasure having you around!
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.42%

Congrats B from another member of the club.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.1%

Congrats man.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.97%

Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard

Wow, just what I was thinking!
    May you find even more victory today in reflection upon your past days of victory and in the hopes of those that certainly lie ahead. You are a valuable resource and friend to us all. I imagine our Father beams when He thinks of you and the lives you've touched. Congratulations
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.61%

Hot damn, I always knew you had it in you.

No matter where life takes you, if you are a shining star, you will be noticed... it's just a matter of time.

I could sit here and say so much more, but you know exactly how I feel.
  18. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.45%

"A daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our Spiritual condition" --- nice work, B. Keep it up!
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Brian, you're an inspiration for so many here and still a servant to all. I congratulate you on your promotion and pray that God will continue to bless you in all aspects of your life.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.01%

Congrats B!!
    "A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most." -George Bernard Shaw
  21. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.48%

Congrats bro, although we have not really crossed paths in conversation, your posts, and insight, and sense of sarcasm are really appreciated. One thing i can say if i ever have a problem and if i was to bring it to you... You would bring it to me straight up with no chaser (pun intended) and thats very respectable, and far in between. ANd being that i have worked in a subsatnce abuce facility, i can testify, on how hard it is to have anniversarys. And being a quitter (in this sense)makes you golden. Much respect
  22. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.07%

Brian,
    Please don't forget the man in the mirror. As we have been influencial to you, your life has shown us a path. In a rather small amount of time, you have illuminated your lessons not unlike a lighthouse. By doing that please do not forget there are those of us may have a better life because of you.

As we speak right now I have been struggling through some issues, and your words and thoughts have helped me seek a better solution.

Your work is far from done my friend. Please know what good you have done with me.

Thanks,
    M
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.14%

I think we all learn the most, and can give back the most, when we've had to learn based on failures. It is at that time we are most open to spiritual input - because that is when we realize we do not have the answers, the issues are bigger than us and we need God's answers more than anything. After seeing God as my "airbag" (there to get me out of jams), and then go back to relying only on myself - I, too, faced a situation where I needed to make God my steering wheel. It is humbling to have to look outside of one's self for answers, but that is exactly what it takes. From what I've read - you are to be congratulated on where you've moved to.
  24. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrownedOne
    I imagine our Father beams when He thinks of you and the lives you've touched.
    Word!

I love ya man.
  25. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.88%

Re: Now they call me a quiter, as if an alcoholic/addict wasn't enough

Coming from the son of a recovering addict I have an idea of how tuff this can be on someone's life and exactly how detrimental it can be to not only your life but also those around you. It sounds like you have done a complete 180 degree turn, and boy oh boy is that great.

Thing is, life has only better things in store.

Congrats, buddy.
  26. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.32%

Inspiring B5150 good stuff all you got to do now is become a redsox fan then all will be right with the world..
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I would say something but everyone else already has in such a good/true way that it speaks volumes as to the person you have become.

28. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Well this is response way beyond my anticipation. I'M thanking YOU!!! Remember?

I tell you, I am going to print this up and put it in a keep sake location. I am too touched by to many posts to respond to each one individually right now.

I will get back to this in the evening after work and dinner.
  29. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.02%

Thank you for sharing B,

It is much appreciated. You are truly an asset to this board and I thank you for your time.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  30. I know nothing...
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.81%

I'm speechless. God bless you, Brian.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.61%

May the lord continue to bless you brother.
  32. officially an adult
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.72%

I had no idea B. I admire the courage that it takes to stop habits like those and I wish you great happiness for the future!!!!
  33. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.29%

4 Years

We came
    We came to
    We came to believe...

Now get another day
  34. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.51%

Brian, I would like to thank you for your contribution to this board, and the invaluable advice you have given me in the past. I consider you to be the Wise-Old-Man on AM. Your advice is usually right on target and you never jump the gun to judge one. Congrats on your anniversary and may there be many more. You deserve good things in your life. May God continue to bless you, dude!
  35. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%

Thumbs up

Congratulations! Your story should be an inspiration to those who have not made the decision to change. May the future hold nothing but great things for you.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.97%

I've got a couple of addicts in my family (edit: both are uncles ), one just got out of prison and I think he'll be back in soon.

The other just went in for multiple felony DUI's.

Anybody who can stay sober for 4 years after life long of addiction deserves a congratulations and a best wishes, IMO, no matter who they are and how I feel about them.
    Last edited by kwyckemynd00; 02-02-2006 at 03:36 AM.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.91%

Brian, you're an inspiration to us brother. You love life and you give 100%, you are great role model to your children and you are a great addition to this board, hell think of yourself as the Derek Jeter of AM. May God bless you and allow you to share your knowledge with us.
  38. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.3%

Rock on brother, u r a real inspiration to overcome lifes challenges, stay strong...........
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.97%

I told you B. You've more than succeeded, you've exceeded.
  40. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Time is too scarce right now for me to respond to each of these individually. You guys have really humbled me these last couple day. It is a boost of confidence to me that maybe I just might be able to be something like I dream of being some day. I am grateful to all of you. Sincerely!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 09:06 AM
  2. Just Call Me Super
    By supersoldier in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 06:20 PM
  3. Ok folks, berate me and call me names to inspire me.
    By PastorofMuppets in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 12:43 AM
  5. Just call me chucky....(not for the squeemish)
    By lifted in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 05:30 PM