Mountain Bike

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Looking to purchase a new ride. Anyone familiar with this model? :

Motobecane 600HT

Looks solid enough to me and the price is right where I would like. $438 to my door. I don't know much about bikes other than I like single-trackin. The bike I have now is like 13 years old, served me well but time to move on. Anyhow, any comments or suggestions from y'all would be greatly appreciated ( and maybe even repped :) )

EDIT: I am basically looking for an aluminum hard tail with mech disk and decent hardware ie. shifters/derailer/brakes. Name brands mean nothing to me and I am only a recreational rider so....

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I used to ride a dual suspension Schwinn Moab. Was nice but suspension problems were not really worth it to me. Did some races while in the marines. Basic, nothing to serious. Most bikes now come with shimano cranks but be carfull on your break set up. If you plan on riding hills, I would rec. hydrolick brakes. Pretty easy to maintain, alot of stopping power, just get used to them before to much serious down hills. Handle bars are a very good upgrade as they can make your ride comfy, or back bnreaking horrible. Have you looked on ebay? There are some good deals floating around. I would probally build one from the frame up to my specs if I were you. A entire build can sometimes be cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I have a mongoose and a trek 4500, love em both..:)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
you could also look at:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1022600&f=19

Trek 4500...those are really nice and around the same price.

Kona's are nice too

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123281.shtml
Thanks bro, I'd rep ya but I have to spread some more around first,... blah blah, I'll get it to ya.

However, neither of those have disc brakes and even though I am not a downhiller some of the trails I ride require long stretches of braking that kills the forearms with the pull style. ( Like Ape Canyon by the Plains of Abraham on MT. ST. Helens, I love that ride )

Here is a link to the manf site for the bike I am looking at:
http://www.motobecane.com/MBUSA6ht.html

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I used to ride a dual suspension Schwinn Moab. Was nice but suspension problems were not really worth it to me. Did some races while in the marines. Basic, nothing to serious. Most bikes now come with shimano cranks but be carfull on your break set up. If you plan on riding hills, I would rec. hydrolick brakes. Pretty easy to maintain, alot of stopping power, just get used to them before to much serious down hills. Handle bars are a very good upgrade as they can make your ride comfy, or back bnreaking horrible. Have you looked on ebay? There are some good deals floating around. I would probally build one from the frame up to my specs if I were you. A entire build can sometimes be cheaper and you get exactly what you want.
Thanks, I have looked on E-Bay. That is where I found the Bike in question. I like hydraulic but I am ok with manual due to the cost differance. Need to save some money for the important stuff ...... like AAS for the summer stack :twisted:

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Get a Harley! It wont give you much exercise, (unless you meet some chicks, which is very likely) but it sure rides good!!!:woohoo:

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
I've been a mechanic at a big mountain bike shop for 5 years, and am a downhill racer myself. If you want the most bang for your buck, i'm gonna have to say to go with a Specialized Hardrock. As your on an anabolics site, i'm gonna assume your a relatively big mofo... and the Hardrock is the most beefed up entry level aluminum hardtail your gonna find. It also comes with pretty impressive specs for its price.. including mech. discs. I would stay away from Treks if I were you... I've actually seen multiple trek 4500s come into my store with cracked chainstays. I agree with you on the whole "**** name brands".... but unfortunately in the mtn. biking world, your gonna have to go with a relatively big bread and butter company if you want a good entry level bike for a little price.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I've been a mechanic at a big mountain bike shop for 5 years, and am a downhill racer myself. If you want the most bang for your buck, i'm gonna have to say to go with a Specialized Hardrock. As your on an anabolics site, i'm gonna assume your a relatively big mofo... and the Hardrock is the most beefed up entry level aluminum hardtail your gonna find. It also comes with pretty impressive specs for its price.. including mech. discs. I would stay away from Treks if I were you... I've actually seen multiple trek 4500s come into my store with cracked chainstays. I agree with you on the whole "**** name brands".... but unfortunately in the mtn. biking world, your gonna have to go with a relatively big bread and butter company if you want a good entry level bike for a little price.
LOL, I am 175lbs right now and prob about 168 when cut is over. I don't ride hardcore at all. I was hoping with your experience with bikes you could comment on the one I was interested in? Specialized are nice but a little more than I wanted to "fork" over. ( pun intended )

bigboobiecrew

Banned
Awards
I have a mongoose and a trek 4500, love em both..:)
why are you stealing my pictures, "TOUGHCHICK". if you're so tough, why don't you use your own freakin pictures. you are PATHETIC. a woman in her 30's STEALING other people's pictures. i would expect something like this from a pre-teen! instead of LYING and pretending, you should have just not used a picture AT ALL and left you appearance as a mystery. not all people are so superficial that they won't talk to you because you're fat/ugly/etc. and you should have learned that BY NOW considering the fact that you're 10 YEARS older than me. why don't you fucking grow up.

http://www.myspace.com/bigboobiecrew (MY PAGE!)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
why are you stealing my pictures, "TOUGHCHICK". if you're so tough, why don't you use your own freakin pictures. you are PATHETIC. a woman in her 30's STEALING other people's pictures. i would expect something like this from a pre-teen! instead of LYING and pretending, you should have just not used a picture AT ALL and left you appearance as a mystery. not all people are so superficial that they won't talk to you because you're fat/ugly/etc. and you should have learned that BY NOW considering the fact that you're 10 YEARS older than me. why don't you fucking grow up.

http://www.myspace.com/bigboobiecrew (MY PAGE!)
:wtf:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Update:

Went ahead and ordered the Motobecane. Should be here in a week or so. Full review pending. :)

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
ah darn- i was gonna say i've got a 2003 trek 4900, disc brakes, upgraded derailers, etc. trying to sell it- don't really ride as much anymore. but guess i'll start it back up now :)

JPmess

Awards
Damn I was gonna reccomend a few also. The Hardrock Comp disc is a good bike for the $$$. I ended up going with the Giant Yukon. Deore rear and Acera front Derallieur. TruVativ cranks, and so on. Anyway, anyone else looking, its a 10 in my book.

I give a big :wtf: to the above. She did have big boobs though.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Big part of the equation was the price: $440 delivered, brand spankin new. Yes I am sure there is better but I was unable to find anything that could campare feature for dollar.