CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
one here

GRosk1234

Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
Awards
Was treasurer of the Golf Club at my university, love the game! Part of the reason I moved south was to play golf year round.:woohoo:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yup, i rule pirate's watch in myrtle beach. :D

badmofaux

Awards
For those of you who take golf as serious as your weight training, I've been dying to ask.... How do you maintain an intense workout routine while still being able to work on your game? Considering golf is all about consistency, how are you able to build/maintain a sound swing when your shoulders are sore on one day, then your pecs/tris sore on the next?

Ever since I can remember, I've had incredible difficulty balancing the intensity of my workouts with the ability to work on my golf swing. What's the secret??

A little info about me: I'm what most would consider a golf fanatic--I blow way too much money on the damned "sport." I'm pretty much obsessed with it. I have a very strange love/hate relationship with it, and I usually play 18-holes once (sometimes twice) a week. I took it up roughly 10 years ago, and last year, I got my index down to a 9.5. I've been weightlifting for the past 18 years, with varying levels of dedication. Currently, my game is in the toilet--I can shoot a 74 one week, then a 95 the next (on the same course). I have a 4-day workout routine, with 1-day rest between: chest, shoulders, back, arms.

My shoulder has been bothering me for the past 3 months, so I haven't gotten out very often since then.

Thanks for reading.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I love golf, but haven't been able to afford much for the last few years. Contrary to what many people will tell you, lifting has made me much better. I have better power without forcing it, and I have a much greater awareness of how my body can work synergistically.

Best round was a 37 on 9 holes (I almost never have time for 18); I average mid-low 40's. Of course, I've haven't played many of those challenging courses.

Cold

Awards
I haven't golfed in a couple of years. I really wouldn't mind getting back into it. But it does get kinda expensive. Especially when you're a poor college student.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
WARNING long winded story ahead :)

One time I was playing golf with an ex girlfriend and another couple, who were friends of hers. So she introduces me and we start to play. The club house was nice but not super special so I didn't figure the course would be anything special. Well we are about half way through the first 9 and I am thinking WOW this is a tough course.

I mean major size water hazards, bunkers, walls, bridges etc. And I hear the woman say she never plays the back 9 because it is too tough and I think WTF the back 9 is ALOT tougher than this. What have I gotten myself into lol

Get to the 8th hole and am about to hit my second shot and still can't see the hole. Hell I wasn't even sure where it was. So I ask the guy and he says politely "Well I am pretty sure it is over that rise to the right." So I hit and sure enough it is. I am telling him it is a nice course blah blah blah. We finish the 9th and I take a look at the 10th and say NOPE I am over my head I will ride this one in.

So the guy is the only one playing. Was still a great day just riding along looking at the amazing senery etc. We get done and go in to eat dinner. The host sees us coming and sets out the royal treatment. We sit down with approx 15 other people. As I am listening to the various conversations I I hear 3 people talking about various books they had WRITTEN??? One of them was a book on high level programming which is required reading in a few different colleges. Holy criminies this country boy just wanted a fun time out on a small local course and I get this.

Half way through the dinner just as I am asking the guy we played with if he is a member of the club, all the talking at the table just about stopped, so everyone hears my question. Then there is a freaking THUNDER of laughter. I can feel myself getting BRIGHT red as the woman next to me politely says he OWNS the place. I aske my gf afterwards does the guy actually own the ENTIRE course, club house, proshop EVERYTHING??? She said yea he started it all on his own a few years back oh my how embarressing. :)

CROWLER

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately it is one of the many expensive habits I have...can't seem to stay away from the irritating sport.

I usually hover around a 10 handicap.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Geez....who knew.

Myself, I love it. Just don't have enough time to play consistently anymore.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For those of you who take golf as serious as your weight training, I've been dying to ask.... How do you maintain an intense workout routine while still being able to work on your game? Considering golf is all about consistency, how are you able to build/maintain a sound swing when your shoulders are sore on one day, then your pecs/tris sore on the next?

Ever since I can remember, I've had incredible difficulty balancing the intensity of my workouts with the ability to work on my golf swing. What's the secret??

A little info about me: I'm what most would consider a golf fanatic--I blow way too much money on the damned "sport." I'm pretty much obsessed with it. I have a very strange love/hate relationship with it, and I usually play 18-holes once (sometimes twice) a week. I took it up roughly 10 years ago, and last year, I got my index down to a 9.5. I've been weightlifting for the past 18 years, with varying levels of dedication. Currently, my game is in the toilet--I can shoot a 74 one week, then a 95 the next (on the same course). I have a 4-day workout routine, with 1-day rest between: chest, shoulders, back, arms.

My shoulder has been bothering me for the past 3 months, so I haven't gotten out very often since then.

Thanks for reading.

Cissus!! Man that sutff worked great for my lower back. I know exactly how you feel too because at times the range just HURT!

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
Golfer here for 3-4 months when the frozen tundra melts:aargh: I envy you cats down south that can golf all year round........oh well that's what hockey is for I guess:cheers:

jecko

Bigdaddyandy

Awards
**** golfing, give me a cooler of beer, a few of my idiot friends, and a golf cart.
I enjoy the camaraderie(and the golf cart, they're just cool). I just don't enjoy golfing.
Sometimes I go just to drive the golf cart and hang out.

GRosk1234

Pi Alpha Omega Epsilon Alpha
Awards

I actually went and talked to the trainer for mens basketball who is a friend of mine about this. I found there really isn't a good answer to the question actually. I would train after golf or on days we didn't play/practice. For example, working at the putting green and chipping isn't very strenuous so it was easy to work around those days. Normally we do whole body workouts a couple of times per week. It was actually similar to the baseball team's training in season. Those guys are throwing/hitting a ton as well. We focused more on the game and less on the weights actually. Core and leg strength and of course flexibility were helpful. Not to mention ice on the shoulder to help with inflamation.

If you look at the pros, they aren't big or bulky guys. Being tall and long helps with distance and the short game is more mental than anything. It's all about balancing it all out. Good luck finding a program!

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
i always wanted to get into golfing. bought some second hand clubs and played a few times. the clubs sat in corner for a while, ended up selling them. but if i ever get the chance to take up some lessons or get out there and play w/ someone who can show me some stuff, i'd love to give it a shot again.

i'm a master at tiger woods 06 tho!

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I love golf. Good thing you didn't ask how many good golfers are here :p

badmofaux

Awards
Cissus!! Man that sutff worked great for my lower back. I know exactly how you feel too because at times the range just HURT!
Thanks for the recommendation--I'll definitely look into it. Never heard of it, though. Is this it:

Also, any recommendations where to get it? (I'd rather purchase from a preferred vendor/partner of AM, if possible.)

Burner

Awards
I started playing golf when i was 8 with my dad, was pretty decent when i got to high school and played in many tournys. Lowest score on nine holes was a 35 (one under), and a 73 on 18 (one over). I got burnt out my second year of college and now i mainly lift and surf, and play golf once and a while. I live 5 miles from Torrey Pines golf course, and with my resident ID card i can play for like 20 bucks. :woohoo:

badmofaux

Awards
...I live 5 miles from Torrey Pines golf course, and with my resident ID card i can play for like 20 bucks. :woohoo:
thanks...jerk. :(

if you get tired of Torrey Pines, come visit northern CA where you can pay $50+ to spend 6 hours on a lousy, overcrowded course. :woohoo:

Burner

Awards
:)
Yeah i actually grew up in NorCal. However, I was fortunate enough to know a guy who was the golf pro at a country club that would sneak me on nearly everday of my life from the time i was 9 till 14.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the recommendation--I'll definitely look into it. Never heard of it, though. Is this it:

Also, any recommendations where to get it? (I'd rather purchase from a preferred vendor/partner of AM, if possible.)
USP is a sponsor here.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/synergy-muscle/

..or you can get it from any one of the storefrtons that sponsor here as well.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Thanks for reading.
I've actually had the best rounds when my back is sore from a hard workout. It keeps me focused on solid form. Your swing motion probably isn't very smooth.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'm a big time golfer. Been playing since I was 7. Right now i'm sitting with a 6 handicap.

I plan my lifting schedule around the days and or tournaments that I play. It's not too hard. I just have to watch the being sore in my larger muscle groups.

And Beelz I'll kick your ass at Pirate Watch.:D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
i used to play, but later quit because i couldn't hack it (pun intended).

i like going to the SHOOTING range much more than the driving range.

llb4

Awards
big time! playing for the last 16 years, currently playing to a 6 been as low as a 2. i guess i bring luck as i've witnessed 9 aces, still waiting for my first however.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I hate you!
Don't hate the playa hate the game.

As for the Beelz, just notice the high score board when you go my name will right at the top, yours a distant second.:D

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
LMAO.

I can see it now, I'm playing a record setting round at pirate watch when none other then beelz jumps out from behind the pirate ship to filet me with his sword. His first swipe with the sword misses as his depth perception is off, (because of the eye patch of course) I proceed to grab the rope, swing around, and give him a double drop kick into the blue lagoon. Everyone cheers and i get carried out to the parking lot by my grateful recently set free captives. Ahh I can see it now.:D

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
quite the imagination. i'd work from the inside as the desk guy that hands you a putter with a magnetically charged ball. then, i'd line each hole with an opposite charge causing your ball to go astray thereby making it impossible to beat my questionable score of 19. :D

badmofaux

Awards
I plan my lifting schedule around the days and or tournaments that I play. It's not too hard. I just have to watch the being sore in my larger muscle groups.
Hi jminis--I think this is why I'm having a hard time improving my golf game while staying disciplined with my workout routine:
1) I've noticed that I need to practice at the range 2 times/week (at least) in order to improve/maintain my swing consistency.
2) My lifting routine is currently 4 days on, 1 day off. Also, I train as hard as my pain tolerance/energy levels allow, so this usually leaves my target muscles fatigued and/or tight for the next 24 hours, or more. (Yes, I teeter on the verge of overtraining, but I take an extra day off here or there if I'm overly lethargic.)
3) Considering my lifting schedule and intensity, I pretty much always have a body part that is sore, fatigued, and/or tight at ANY given point in time, 7 days a week.

I think the aforementioned factors ultimately leave me in a situation where I feel like I have a different swing every time I go to the damned range. This is why I'm having difficulty improving my swing consistency.

If I really want to improve my golf game, the only thing I can think of is to reduce the intensity/frequency of my workouts. Unfortunately, I don't want to do that at this time (because I've worked too hard to get where I'm currently at in terms of definition and power).

Just curious--how do you do it? Or, are your workouts tempered so that you're not left with a different sore body part every day?

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
where is it? myrtle beach? i'm there. :D

Of course im straying off topic, but, how long did that back piece take to do? My guess it atleast 28 hours in 4 sittings. Just a guess as I can really see the amount of detail. And I am going to guess, 2000 cups of wendys chili for a price.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
you're damn near on the money. ~20 hours, exactly 2K

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
How many sittings did you do. My tribal took about 19-20 hours including the hand sketching and did it in three just cause the guy didnt want to lose to many customers on the weekends.

By the way, you are on big mother fucker!!!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
what, did the 296lbs weigh-in not tip you off? :D

4 sittings, good call on that one too. the 3/4 tribal sleeve on my left took 6 hours. that fucker was the worst, especially grinding on the collar bone and where the arm bends at.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Golf.. It had to be golf. I am probley the only person here that was born into a family of golfers. My grandfather covered golf and sports for the Washington Post for 40+ yrs and my uncle and cousin where both golf pros at country clubs. My GrandF hoped I would become Tiger before there was a Tiger. He used to take my out to the greens and try and get me to hit balls with him. He even had special clubs made for me. But thought it was boring. Would much rather put a helmet on and crack someone. :)

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
what, did the 296lbs weigh-in not tip you off? :D

4 sittings, good call on that one too. the 3/4 tribal sleeve on my left took 6 hours. that fucker was the worst, especially grinding on the collar bone and where the arm bends at.
My tribal hurt like a mofo next to the nipple and really bad in the spoon. I was thinking of getting a whole back piece of a grimm reaper over the flames coming up from my ass. Pretty much the top left side of my back and covering the lower bottem half.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
eh, i've had my fill of tats for a while. nothing strikes my fancy lately.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
that and there is a whole lot more I should be doing with 1500$ then getting inked up!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
eh, it's 1500 bucks the govt can never take from you.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I have sime pretty good clubs, a moderately shitty drive, decent putting ability,a fairly consistent short game, and absolutely no time to get on the links...

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think I might hold the unofficial record for highest score at my local course. I enjoy playing and crappy shots just get me more exercise.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Just curious--how do you do it? Or, are your workouts tempered so that you're not left with a different sore body part every day?
Your exactly right. I plan my workouts according to my golf schedule. Depending on how much you play it can be hard to fit things in. When I played for my school I couldn't really hit the gym hard 6 days a week. I had a modified workout routine that had me doing only 5-6 sets for each muscle group on a 3 day split. It kept my muscle and strength while I was in season.