Question for you MARINES

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

Question for you MARINES

hey everybody. i'm new to this forum, found it on google..
    i'm going in the reserves until i finish college (i leave May 08 for Parris Island). right now i'm signed up for 1833 (AAV Crewman). but i'm really considering changing to rifleman/assaultman. i want to do the "fun" stuff. i'm just not sure i'm gonna get much of that as an AAV crewman. dont wanna sound like a wuss.. but i'm kinda thinkin infantry is gonna be a **** load of work. dont want that either. i would like training alot, but going on 20 mile hikes every other day doesnt sound like fun.
    i've tried to talk to my recruiter about this, but somehow the topic always gets changed. also they're biased for whatever reason. my decision is already made to become a Marine. i just want to pick the MOS that i'll enjoy the most.
    so hopefully you guys can set me straight with an answer! i appreciate any advice. -Rick

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.39%

Do yourself a favor. Choose a MOS that will help you in your career. What's your major in college? The Marine Corp is many things. Fun is not one of them. Whatever MOS you choose, it will be a lot of hard work. Don't expect anything less. The Corp will expect nothing less than 110% from you. Attitude is everything.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

i'm looking forward to alot of hard work. i want TO BE a Marine. not a kid who plays with firecrackers.
    my major is sociology. if i'm correct, there are no jobs in the Marine Corps that pertain to that. but that won't matter, because i want to spend a career in the military. the reason i'm joining the reserves is 1) i want time in the field before i become and officer and have a desk job 2) i want the "enlisted experience".
    but all i really want is a comparison of infantry vs. AAV Crewman. it's really important to me that i make the right choice.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.42%

I have no clue...but...

Thanks for your service.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

recruiters get a little extra for recruiting 03's so that's why he encourages it so much. fun MOS? well, i don't know of any that's fun for everyone. like delta said, you gotta make the best of it. every MOS has it's ups and downs. i had a blast in artillery(pun intended), made some great friends, but those mofo's work like none other. sun up til sun down and half the time, it's for stupid ****, like someone in your unit got DUI, so we're gonna work 20 hours per day for the next month. then we're going to a double CAX in 29 palms, etc. from what i've seen and experienced in my 8 years and 2 MOS's is the best field to go into is intelligence. you get a top secret clearance, work with high-tech ****, avoid most stupid **** cuz you're busy with top secret briefs and mapping. and you've got a wide field of government jobs you can pursue if you decide to get out, top secret clearance goes a looooonnngggg way.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

im not a marine but im in the airforce. like beelzebub said a top secret clearance goes a long way. doing the job i do ( computer communications) i can get out with my clearance and start out making at least 80k a year. Im only doing a 4 year enlistemnt too. my buddy just got out after 4 yrs and he's the LAN manager at beale airforce base and he's only 25 yrs old. I would definitely go with a job where you will benefit greatly if you decide to get out and not reenlist JMO.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.39%

Read the previous replies. Now, I was infantry. When I got out, I was qualified to;....kill people. Unfortunately, there is no civilian job available. I drove a truck for awhile, and now I'm in law enforcement. And let me say this before any of the mealy mouth weasels out there chime in. I did not go into LE to kill people. I did it to help people (other than brogers who does not want or need help from the police).
    You are about to make one of the most important decisions of your life. Think very hard about it. Look at where you will be 10 20 30 years down the road, and then decide where you want to be at those times of your life.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

i really appreciate all your replies, they are very helpful.
    but i need to clarify that all i'm really asking is which job i should choose for the reserves(since i'll become an officer afterwards) based on what i said i want to do in my first post. i really just want to know what life is like as infantry vs. AAV crewman.
    for example, as AAV, do you spend alot of time in training doing practice missions? or do you just haul Marines around like a taxi service?
    same as for infantry: do you spend much time practicing with weapons, or more time working out? (bear in mind i'm still talking about the reserves).
    thanks alot for the help, guys.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.39%

Not sure about the reserves, in the infantry we spent time doing pt, weapons training, maneuvers, etc... there is a minimum amount of classroom time. Bear in mind that I got out of the Corp in 76. You would probably want to hear from some of the younger guys that on active duty. Good luck to you whichever you decide.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by zippo
    i really appreciate all your replies, they are very helpful.
    but i need to clarify that all i'm really asking is which job i should choose for the reserves(since i'll become an officer afterwards) based on what i said i want to do in my first post. i really just want to know what life is like as infantry vs. AAV crewman.
    for example, as AAV, do you spend alot of time in training doing practice missions? or do you just haul Marines around like a taxi service?
    same as for infantry: do you spend much time practicing with weapons, or more time working out? (bear in mind i'm still talking about the reserves).
    thanks alot for the help, guys.
    the majority of infantry guys that i knew didn't have much down time. they were in the field most of the year for practice ops. not to mention now, they'd most likely ship your ass straight overseas to iraq. as for AAV crewman as a taxi service...nada. that's what Motor transportation is for. specifics i don't know but that much i do know.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Questions for you.
    By predator124 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 10:20 PM
  2. Bobo, I have a question for you
    By NickW in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 01:25 PM
  3. First Post!!! But not new... Questions for You?
    By GimmePump in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 12:37 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 09:26 PM