Need help with my friend (pharmacist/docs specifically)

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
So saturday night me and my friend were going from out friends house to this other kids house to stop by bc it was his birthday.

I dont know why, but all of a sudden he just starts spilling the beans. He starts talking about how he hates everyone (except me he said) and that he cant take all this pressure hes under. His dad (his parents are divocred and his dad is a total ass) always threatens him that he will make him leave his moms house and other stuff, I didnt quite get it all. Then he really freaks me out. He starts talking about how sometimes he wants to kill himself because he cant take it anymore.

When I say this came out of nowhere, this came out of fuckin' NOWHERE.

I made him sleep over that night. Before he went to bed he said he just had to get it out of his system, and that he felt alot better.

The twist- Hes been getting more and more "depressed" since he started on an ADD medicine called concerta. Coinsidence? I think not.

He started on this for 2 reasons. He said he couldnt focus in school and he was "disorganized."

Why is this BS?
1) cant focus in school?- hes in the top 15% of our class in school
2) disorganized- Disorganized people do not make it to the top 15% of our school (our hs is ranked best in the state for public schools too)

I need help dudes, I really dont know what to do.

PS- If you think you have ADD, the biggest scam since Nitric Oxide products, you have 2 options

1) go to catholic schools, they will beat it out of u with a ruler.

2) train with spatch, we will military press the A, D, and the other D right out of you, my friend.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The kid was diagnosed with ADD, but should have probably been diagnosed with clinically significant depression.

ADD/ADHD is grossly overdiagnosed, but is absolutely a reality. This has been confirmed with comparisons of PET scans that monitored cerebral activity of ADD and normal population. Interestingly, when administered their meds, ADD kids PET scans start to resemble their peers far more than without meds. It is both genetic and acquired, and is thought to occur b/c anatomical and chemical differences.

Many families and individuals go through extensive suffering based in this condition, so don't blow it off so nonchalantly. That being said, I can see why you'd be tempted to write it off b/c so many people are misdiagnosed. I have a student who is probably OCD, but he was diagnosed ADD. The meds made the OCD far worse than it had been. There are countless stories like this out there.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
The kid was diagnosed with ADD, but should have probably been diagnosed with clinically significant depression.

ADD/ADHD is grossly overdiagnosed, but is absolutely a reality. This has been confirmed with comparisons of PET scans that monitored cerebral activity of ADD and normal population. Interestingly, when administered their meds, ADD kids PET scans start to resemble their peers far more than without meds. It is both genetic and acquired, and is thought to occur b/c anatomical and chemical differences.

Many families and individuals go through extensive suffering based in this condition, so don't blow it off so nonchalantly. That being said, I can see why you'd be tempted to write it off b/c so many people are misdiagnosed. I have a student who is probably OCD, but he was diagnosed ADD. The meds made the OCD far worse than it had been. There are countless stories like this out there.

Yea it was gay of me to tell it off like that. Some people do have ADD, im just pretty sure military press/ depression treatment would work better for my friend.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like the poor kid's father may be pressuring (or may HAVE been in the past) him to succeed, if he is in the top of his class yet coming apart at the seams.

Assuming you aren't just talking about doing lots of military presses (of course you'd spot for the guy, right?), but rather giving the kid a good kick in the ass...Your discipline may feel right to you, but may not be the answer. That is why I am certified to be a teacher and my degree specifies Secondary Education, yet I am not a teacher.
When the time came to do student teaching, I lasted a week before I quit. I realized that spending the previous 6 years in the Army made me want to keep the kids in line by being really strict, which I knew was wrong. Some kids respond well to a firm, regimented, disciplined environment, while some do not.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yea it was gay of me to tell it off like that. Some people do have ADD, im just pretty sure military press/ depression treatment would work better for my friend.
Research shows that exercise is very therapeutic for depression and ADD. Anything that they can find meaning is beneficial. Interestingly, ADD kids can work tirelessly on something they're interested in. My friend with ADD couldn't sit through 30 seconds of a class, but he could paint for 8 hours straight.

Definitely try to get this kid working out with you. A low GI diet is also supposed to help with both depression and ADD. So if you can help him with the nutrition as well as the workout he really might start to see some changes.

Good luck. I'll try to fill you in with some more useful info if you are able to get him going. (I have a Master's of Education, have dealt with these issues professionally, personally and through friends, so I have some experience with it).

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ADD is grossly overdiagnosed !!! here is my two cents, def get him working out like Beo suggested, suggest that he try and get therapy for his feelings of depression and suicide, you def did the right thing for making him spend the night as it was a cry for help. But know this it will not be the first or last time he will contemplate suicide. Also ask him if he has a plan for suicide, because if he does you have to step in and tell your parents who can in turn handle this the right way. Right now in the winter Depression will prob be at its highest because of light levels, and possible Seosonal Affective Disorder that often in cocorrence with depression, and ADD. I am with you like Beo, and you can look me up to send an email. ALthough i do not have a master's i have a B.A. in Psycholgy as well as 2 plus years as a Mental Health Professional therapist 1