MMA thread

Nicolai

Awards
i just figured i should make a thread for mixed martial arts talk and such so i don't have to add it in everywhere i go.

my statement for this first post of the thread is... Frank Shamrock is the greatest :D and that i got 5 ufc videos for 20 bux tonight :p

Nicolai

Awards
i also have a question... are any of you guys known as the ultimate fighting guy at the video store in your town?

Nicolai

Awards
kenny was one of the pioneers of the sport and was the best when he was in his prime. but now he should retire while he still has a bit of his good name left.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I watch a lot of MMA myself and love it. For those of you who wish to learn more about it sherdog.com is a great place to start. you can download videos, read fighters profiles, and get all the latest news there. UFC events are nearly always televised and can bought on PPV. Worth every dime. Pride is a great orginazation as well. There are many others as well like Ultimate Athlete which are starting to be found on both the magazine racks and in the video stores.

Frank is Amazing, and there are other fighters who are excellent as well. It's great watching a sport develop from the ground up. The best is yet to come.....

Nicolai

Awards
it is great to see a sport such as this evolve from the early days of one dimensional fighters to an actual sport where everyone trains in everything. in such a short time it has gone from a circus side show to a place where you can count on quality athletes fighting quality athletes (well, until tank came back :p).

but there are still some people who say that mma is not a real sport. i read an article the other day which asked the perfect question to those people. "Is golf a legitimate sport? OK, if Martians come to Earth and say, 'Send us your best athlete for a competition, and if he wins we won't destroy the planet,' who would you rather send, Tiger Woods or Tito Ortiz".

just an update.. in the k-1 kickboxing event a couple nights ago Bob Sapp was KO'ed by Mirko CroCop Filipovic.. i really enjoyed hearing that cuz sapp is a giant of a man and has been gettin by with a low amount of skills just cuz he is huge. mirko is probably the best stand up fighter i have ever seen and i look forward to seeing him fight sapp again. except that it will be in pride in a mma bout next time...(he said he is 90% sure that it will happen). sherdog just updated and has a review of this fight and i think they have a highlight reel of mirko if any of ya wanna take a look.

Last edited:

Nicolai

Awards
tito may be stripped...

i have read from a couple different places that tito ortiz will be stripped of his title soon. one site says that he will be moving to the wwe and that he has signed with them for 3 years... and another says that he may not be goin to the wwe but he will still be stripped because he has not signed a new fight yet. my thoughts on this are that he should be stripped of the title if he has signed with the wwe. but if he has not , there is no reason for them to take the title from him. cuz it has only been like 5 months since his last defence against kenny. here are a few sites that have a bit of info if yall are interested:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/home.html

http://www.maxfighting.com/

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
Nicolai do you do any training for MMA at all? Im also very into MMA and gonna start BJJ soon when I get my license, and hopefully Muay Thai or some American Boxing.

Nicolai

Awards
not really.. i practice boxing, ect... on my heavy bag at home and box with my buddies someties (none of em will anymore cuz i bruised ones kidney and he pissed a lil blood)... but at the moment i don't have the time or energy to train in a martial art... after a day of work i can barely drag myself into the gym for even a half ass work out. but soon i should be starting a new job and champagne will fall from the skies and everything will be great again... at that time i will probably start with submission and then move on to muay thai. i just wish there was someware that taught was wrestling in my town :(

Nicolai

Awards
will tito sign the fight with chuck?? from what chucky boy has said in interviews he will be fighting either tito ortiz or randy couture in june and as far as i can tell it will be for the lhw title either way.

dieseldude

Awards
Nicolai, Sapp is definately skill-less.

What do you guys think of this? Fedor vs Ortiz?
I know Tito is lightH but it would be awesome, two big grinders going at it.
IMO Chuck will whoop Tito.

Nicolai

Awards
i think if tito and chuck get to go at it.. it could go either way. and tito vs fedor?? i don't think it would even be close.. you may as well throw him in with bob sapp or mark kerr or maybe both in a handicap match. tito is just a large strong bastard that has the ground and pound down to an art and a little muay thai thrown in the mix. i think he pretty much owns the lhw division cuz he is at a size where he would be a heavyweight if he was not so good at cutting weight. but we will see how things play out with chuck and randy.

Edit... looks like randy beat chuck and tito... haha who woulda imagined that :confused:

Last edited:

Gilster

Awards
Nice thread bro. I have been a fan of MMA since the beggining. I have ALL the UFC fights on tape. I am talking everyone that has ever come out. There have been some good ones to participate. Frank is one of the best, so was Coleman for a while anyway. Good stuff.

There are several events locally where I live every year for different organizations that host MMA events. I have several friends who participate. You REALLY get into it when you are watching a friend or workng his corner for a fight. I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest.

Do any of you bros participate in martial arts yourselves? I am a green belt in Black Lotus Ju Jitsu. Been doing it for a little over a year. I still have 2-3 more years til my black belt testing. This is something that I always wanted to do. I just wish I had done it earlier in life. I am 40 years old and it can be very painfull on the old joints at times.

And yes, I am known at the video store as the UFC guy. They order an extra UFC video for me to purchase when they order them. I buy them brand new.

Nicolai

Awards
well guys tito has just signed to fight chuck... and at this point i cannot see chuck winning. with shitty preformances in his past few fights and just being an all around gay bastard he should lose. anyone have opinions??

what do yall think about randy fighting vitor... i am not even goin to try to call that one cuz i think it could easily go either way .

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I don't think Tito had much of a choice. He was losing his title cuz he wouldn't fight Liddell. Now that he got wooped by Couture, he has to fight Liddel if he wants to fight in the UFC.

Couture will most likely kick Vitor's ass. I've been watching UFC since the first one and ever since he's come on the scene, Couture has always been the underdog no matter who he fought. I predicted to all my friends that coture would beat Tito, but no one would believe me. Couture used to fight heavyweights and was the champ several times. He's used to fighting much heavier and stronger people. Any light-heavyweight that fights him is definitely at a dis-advantage.

I'm not positive, but wasn't it Couture who beat Vitor the first time years ago? Or was it Don Frye? Either way, since Vitor lost in the UFC, he's kinda gone away form punching and stuck more to grappling. But as a grappler he's not that impressive - he was better as a puncher.

Nicolai

Awards
I'm not positive, but wasn't it Couture who beat Vitor the first time years ago?
yes, it was randy who beat vitor b4

Or was it Don Frye? Either way, since Vitor lost in the UFC, he's kinda gone away form punching and stuck more to grappling. But as a grappler he's not that impressive - he was better as a puncher.
vitor has always been a grappler he just has amazing hand speed so he is thought to be a striker... but he has in the past won many championships in jiu jitsu and trains or used to train under carelson gracie so his ground game shouldn't be lacking.

i personally hope that he beats randy... i could see it being a knock out or if randy decides to do what he did to tito and just hold him on the ground vitor should be able to slap a submission on him since he has 10+ years of ground training on tito. it should be a great fight no matter who wins and i am looking forward to seeing tito fight the winner once it all goes down.

Last edited:
sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Yes, i know that Vitor was a long time grappler but i've seen him fight since losing to Couture and he wasn't impressive as a grappler. Yes he won, but against opponents that weren't really that great.

Randy also has years of grappling as he has competed at the collegiate/olympic level in wrestling. There was a time when BJJ fighter beat all comers, but that time has long past. Wrestlers have more than proved that they can keep up with the best BJJ fighters.

Tito is really no match for randy. If they were to fight again, i believe that the result would be the same. From their last fight, it was clear that randy dominated the ground and pound, and was much stronger that Tito. Tito has never fought anyone at randy's caliber. The last time he fought someone at this caliber, he lost (to Frank Shamrock). Tito has alot of potential, but he has not been tested like randy has. For Tito to beat Randy, he will have to step up his grappling (he only has high school level wrestling experience) and punching skills. Randy can take and give a punch (remember Couture Vs. Rizzo fight). C'mon Tito's toughest opponent was supposed to be Liddell, Randy spanked his with one hand tied behind his back And then spanked Tito a few months later. I don't think there's anyone in the light-heavies that can beat Randy, not even Frank.

Nicolai

Awards
randy did dominate the fight.. but all he really could do was hold him on the ground... he never really had him hurt at any point of the match. not more then 1 or 2 of the shots he landed were clean and you could see that the only damage tito had taken was a bit on his ear and on the side of his face which was from one of the few landed blows.

when they fight again i am not really sure what can change, because tito cannot improve his wrestling game to the point he can get the takedown on randy no matter how much time he trains before the fight. but i think he will do something which he should have done in preperation for the first fight and that is start to train from his back.

as for frank... i really couldn't see him taking down randy either, however i would imagine that he would put a submission on or do a crazy reversal and end up on top where he could finish him... because that is the kind of savage that he is.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Yea, i agree with you. Tito will definitely need to work on his skills from the guard, but i think that he was a little hesitant about taking the fight to Randy. He should have punched more and applied more pressure. If nothing else, it would have been an much more exciting fight.

As for Frank, he may not be as big/strong as randy but he is so unpredictable that you can't ever just write him off. If you remember his fight with Igor, i thought that he would face his toughest challenge but instead he picked Igor and dropped him on his head for the knockout (in less than 30 seconds!). You can dismiss him, but I will still put my money on Randy.