diabetes?

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Well for the past few weeks I have been drinking a shitload of water but I have still been really thirsty. Once or twice I felt really disy. My dad thinks it could be diabetes?Do you think I should get tested?

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I think getting tested once in a blue moon is a good idea. Especially if it runs in the family.

Your thirst could be alot of different things though.

CREAO

Awards
my sister has juvenile diabetes...she peed in the middle of the night alot because your body is getting rid of all the sugar it cant metabolize....but yea

how old are you? juvenile doesnt really hit older kids from what I know

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
my sister has juvenile diabetes...she peed in the middle of the night alot because your body is getting rid of all the sugar it cant metabolize....but yea

how old are you? juvenile doesnt really hit older kids from what I know

17, it doesnt run in the family I cant think of anyone in my family that has it.

CREAO

Awards
well feeling dizzy would be from low blood sugar...which you wouldnt have from diabetes....if you had it right now your blood sugar is probably really really high, almost in a state of ketosis ...i would go get a blood sugar meter and check it out...normal is around 120 i believe...

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Just a heads up. Most of the symptoms for hypoglycemia are the same symptoms for hyperglycemia. Dizziness, nausea, sweats... Thirst and excessive urination are common for hyperglycemia. It is possible to become a diabetic later in life. IDDM & NIDDM both occur in adults and quite frequently.

This is all conjecture though I might add and would suggest you seek medical attention if it condition persists. Fasting glucose tolerance test ordered by a physician would be the way to determine. Ideal Blood Glucose range 70-100.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
I felt perfectly fine with hyperglycemia - the symptoms are definitely not the same as hypoglycemia (the ones that matter, anyway).

Here are some odd questions for you;

Getting any strange mold growing in your toilet? Too much glucose in the urine can cause this!

How many times do you pee at night?

Do you bleed from your gums easily?

I think that getting a simple blood test is the way to go... fasting BG should be <100. Post prandial should be <160.

My doc called me up and told me to get my ass in the office. I had a BG of 315 and I had no idea....

Regards,
R

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
My Friend's Son has been working out regularly. One day, he had his shirt off at home and my friend said that he looked "skinny". So he asked him if he was losing weight and the kid told him that he was (just over a couple days). So he took him into the doc and found out that his BG was 1200. Needless to say, he was extremely lucky that they went in. Most kids (teens) just shrug **** off. You're better off getting checked if you think there may be a problem.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I felt perfectly fine with hyperglycemia - the symptoms are definitely not the same as hypoglycemia (the ones that matter, anyway).

Regards,
R
I definitely do not want to argue your personal experience with hyperglycemia. But aside from polyuria(frequent urination) and polydipsia(excessive thirst) they share very similar symptoms. Blurry vision, confusion, nausea, vomiting, sweating, fatigue, hunger, headache, trembling... Is it necessary to qualify my statement with my experience over the years?

Just info for the lad.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Get checked for your own piece of mind.. I'm such a nerd when it comes to medical **** and my own body that I knew I'd get screwed.. So yeah, been diagnosed with NIDDM (Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes Melitus), or type 2 in summer '04.. Can't bulk up like I used to (I miss Burger King!), gotta watch my blood pressure, keep my blood glucose under 110.. When I got tested, my bg was 250 and the scary part was IT WAS POST-WORKOUT!! :run:

But, the world's my oyster.. ;)

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
All this is making me consider getting myself checked. I feel dizzy, and sort of hypoglycemic at different times of the day. Having said that,can this also be attributed just to spikes and drops in blood sugar from a typical bodybuilding diet( large postworkout shakes and meals etc. etc.)?

DobermanXXL

Awards
can't hurt to get it tested, u just piss on a strip, takes 5 seconds.

Do you ever have a fruity flavor on your breath? How often do you piss? What happens if you don't eat for a prolonged period? How old are you? Are you over weighT?

I doubt you've developed type 1 diabetes, thats when the cells in your pancreas completely shut down, meaning your body cannot produce any insulin, you'd definitely know by now.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
they share very similar symptoms. Blurry vision, confusion, nausea, vomiting, sweating, fatigue, hunger, headache, trembling... Is it necessary to qualify my statement with my experience over the years?
Sorry Bro...did not mean to offend.

What BG levels would be required for the confusion, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms that are similar to the hypoglycemia?

The typical type II will probably never experience these symptoms, will they? And in general, the vast majority of hyperglycemic patients won't have these either, from what I have read.

Later,
R

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Get checked for your own piece of mind.. I'm such a nerd when it comes to medical **** and my own body that I knew I'd get screwed.. So yeah, been diagnosed with NIDDM (Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes Melitus), or type 2 in summer '04..
Bigpete, are you on any meds? I do the Avandia/Glucophage deal.

When you carb, I guess you do it with oatmeal, etc. and keep it to a minimum? I try and keep to <125 grams of carbs per day on average.

Also, I have heard that in some folks, it is not all that unusual for the BG to go high after a workout - this does not happen with me, though.

Later,
R

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bigpete, are you on any meds? I do the Avandia/Glucophage deal.

When you carb, I guess you do it with oatmeal, etc. and keep it to a minimum? I try and keep to <125 grams of carbs per day on average.

Also, I have heard that in some folks, it is not all that unusual for the BG to go high after a workout - this does not happen with me, though.

Later,
R
I was entertaining the Avandia idea, metformin half the time doesn't work well for me so I dose high on R-ALA.. Just met with my new doctor, looks like I may end up on Avandia, and get that neck surgery I needed.. :woohoo:

On average, my carbs are between 150-250g daily, low GI..

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Sorry Bro...did not mean to offend.

What BG levels would be required for the confusion, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms that are similar to the hypoglycemia?

The typical type II will probably never experience these symptoms, will they? And in general, the vast majority of hyperglycemic patients won't have these either, from what I have read.

Later,
R
No offense taken. I also did not want to discount your experience which is not out of the norm.

As far as @ what BG level people experience symptoms is quite variable. It usually depends on what the median BG level is. For example, I spoke with a patient that runs a >220 baseline blood glucose (non-compliant with meds & diet). He is quite comfortable @ 300-400, but drop them to below 150 and the experience symptoms of hypoclycemia.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I have spoke with patients who are well controlled (usually 80-120) and they experience the shakes, sweats & confusion/irritability @ 250 and above.

In the hospital I work at I see all too many patients admitted with DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) typically from uncontrolled or newly diagnosed DM.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
I was entertaining the Avandia idea, metformin half the time doesn't work well for me so I dose high on R-ALA..
I actually take Avandamet. It works great for me, although they keep shutting down their factories or having other production problems.

Right now this crap is not available. Truly unbelievable.

FYI, I felt like crap for about 30 days but that was more from the adjustment in BG than it was from the med.

I only take 200mg of R-ALA /day. May I ask what you mean by a high dose?

Later,
R

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I only take 200mg of R-ALA /day. May I ask what you mean by a high dose?

Later,
R
Between 600-1200mg daily, when the metformin slacks it seems to boost it abit.. That explains why I still eat alot of carbs.. ;)

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Do I need to fast before this?
Not for the urine test. I am not sure this is the best way to go though. Go to a doctor and have a glucose tolerance test performed.